Dr Rodney McKay - Sometimes the citrus is right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Rodney McKay - Sometimes the citrus is right

I honestly don't think I am the only one who finds the character of Mckay totally insufferable and annoying. From his first highly irritating appearance in SG1's 48 Hours, when he insisted that Teal'c was dead and couldn't/shouldn't be saved, I admit to finding his whining irritating and his condescending attitude towards Samantha Carter to be vexatious! Talk about a man who objectifies women! He is one of the worst seen in either galaxy -Pegasus or Milkyway! OVER THE YEARS HE HAS NOT ENDEARED HIMSELF TO ME AT ALL!
    So here is a thread for us who find there is too much screen time devoted to the whiner-par-excellence McKay! Have at him people!

Mckay's second appearance in the SG1 was no less annoying. He was recalled to "help" carter solve the problem of Anubis' attempt to use the stargate to destroy earth. Needless to say, Carter did most of the actual problem solving while dealing with what would constitute sexual harrassment from Mckay. McKay's first attempt at help failed (as Sam predicted it would) and crippled the SGC for a while. (a typical mckay "problem and solution = trouble" scenario! ) Then in a final attempt to remove the problem of the stargate explosion, it is harnessed beneath an X-302 and an attempt is made to fly it away from earth. when this fails Mkcay suggests another "idea" - crash the stargate into the ocean, this time it is JACK O'NEILL who saves the day by sending the ship and stargate through hyperspace to explode safely away from earth. yet again Mckay was brought in but served as nothing more than an irritation and did not solve any of the problems! I have yet to see where he is a "genius" at all.

Comment

Where to begin? We were supposed to hate him on SG1. Done.
      We are supposed to love him on Atlantis. Nope.
      TPTB think his continual ranting is hilarious so we're constantly "treated" to it. Bleh. In small doses maybe, but they don't do small doses.

I wanted Teyla to smack him in S&R and Katie to kill him in Quarantine.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        Where to begin? We were supposed to hate him on SG1. Done.
        We are supposed to love him on Atlantis. Nope.
        TPTB think his continual ranting is hilarious so we're constantly "treated" to it. Bleh. In small doses maybe, but they don't do small doses.

I wanted Teyla to smack him in S&R and Katie to kill him in Quarantine.
        I think S&R is probably the only episode I can say that I enjoyed McKay... most of the rest of the time he annoys me. He is overused and inconsistant and I hate the Shep/McKay show. The writers need to tone down his ranting and Adrift and Lifeline has some of his worst moments. Quarantine was also cringeworthy and I really wanted Katie to smack him..

I think if used correctly McKay would be fine but when the writers think they are on to a good thing they tend to overuse it until you never want to see it again and that's how I feel about McKay at times.. It would be nice to see more than the babbling ranting McKay.. streams of dialogue with him ranting over the lastest crisis is becoming tiresome.... so it will depend how the ptb use him in season five... if he is used like in Search and Rescue I may even begin to like the character again.

I hope we see him developed a bit more and move away from the constant Mckay/Sheppard childish bickering. though thankfully that has been toned down of late... and give us a more rounded and less annoying character.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
          I think S&R is probably the only episode I can say that I enjoyed McKay... most of the rest of the time he annoys me. He is overused and inconsistant and I hate the Shep/McKay show. The writers need to tone down his ranting and Adrift and Lifeline has some of his worst moments. Quarantine was also cringeworthy and I really wanted Katie to smack him..

I think if used correctly McKay would be fine but when the writers think they are on to a good thing they tend to overuse it until you never want to see it again and that's how I feel about McKay at times.. It would be nice to see more than the babbling ranting McKay.. streams of dialogue with him ranting over the lastest crisis is becoming tiresome.... so it will depend how the ptb use him in season five... if he is used like in Search and Rescue I may even begin to like the character again.

I hope we see him developed a bit more and move away from the constant Mckay/Sheppard childish bickering. though thankfully that has been toned down of late... and give us a more rounded and less annoying character.
          His
          Spoiler:
          panic/ranting just went on a bit too long under the circumstances. Sort of beating the joke to death, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            His
            Spoiler:
            panic/ranting just went on a bit too long under the circumstances. Sort of beating the joke to death, imho.
            ITA. and if he could just learn to treat others with some respect! I get so tired of how he denigrates everyone else's intelligence level... I wish Radek Zelenka would just pop him one in the chops!
            One of my favorite Mckay scenes is in Runner when he is teamed with Lorne and poor lorne gets the whining treatment. Lorne's deadpan "you must really be some kind of a genius" - says it all! "Poor" Mckay looks flabbergasted that Lorne is that witty.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
              ITA. and if he could just learn to treat others with some respect! I get so tired of how he denigrates everyone else's intelligence level... I wish Radek Zelenka would just pop him one in the chops!
              One of my favorite Mckay scenes is in Runner when he is teamed with Lorne and poor lorne gets the whining treatment. Lorne's deadpan "you must really be some kind of a genius" - says it all! "Poor" Mckay looks flabbergasted that Lorne is that witty.
              Yes.. I would love to see more Lorne/Rodney interaction... Lorne doesn't take any of his crap and it's nice to see someone not effected by McKays rantings... I love as you say the dead-pan way that Lorne replies to Rodney.
              I would also like to Rodney show more respect for Zelenka..I hate how he is soo condesending to him and would love to see poor Zeleneka bite back occasionally.. His remark in Trio about Zelenka was totally uncalled for..
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                Yes.. I would love to see more Lorne/Rodney interaction... Lorne doesn't take any of his crap and it's nice to see someone not effected by McKays rantings... I love as you say the dead-pan way that Lorne replies to Rodney.
                I would also like to Rodney show more respect for Zelenka..I hate how he is soo condesending to him and would love to see poor Zeleneka bite back occasionally.. His remark in Trio about Zelenka was totally uncalled for..
                Oh he is always denigrating Zelenka and it just makes me want Zelenka to blow up rodney for laughs. HOW many times has Zelenka saved mckay's rear? Shall we start with duet?

Comment

Oh goodie......Now i can complain about his incessant whining and get it out of my system....I don't understand why so many folks love him....He's nothing but a moaning face,greeting,whinging,condescending egotistical megalomaniac.....I didn't mind him in S & R so much but the rest of the eps i wanted to kill him and in quarantine i so badly wanted katie to kill him...

I love Radek and the way Rodney treats him is nothing short of despicable..If TPTB think that is funny then they have got a very twisted sense of humour IMO....hehe Lorne certainly knows how to shoot him down,pity he couldn't teach Shep...Or better yet get Ronon to shoot him,or even better get Teyla to tie him up and gag him and shove him in a closet somewhere out of the road...

Ahhhhh now i feel better!
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't hate him but he does get on my nerves at times
                    sigpic
                    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                      Oh goodie......Now i can complain about his incessant whining and get it out of my system....I don't understand why so many folks love him....He's nothing but a moaning face,greeting,whinging,condescending egotistical megalomaniac.....I didn't mind him in S & R so much but the rest of the eps i wanted to kill him and in quarantine i so badly wanted katie to kill him...

I love Radek and the way Rodney treats him is nothing short of despicable..If TPTB think that is funny then they have got a very twisted sense of humour IMO....hehe Lorne certainly knows how to shoot him down,pity he couldn't teach Shep...Or better yet get Ronon to shoot him,or even better get Teyla to tie him up and gag him and shove him in a closet somewhere out of the road...

Ahhhhh now i feel better!

Welcome to the thread! Yep here is the place to sit down, take off your shoes and criticize our "favorite" moaner. I get all peeved at him being portrayed as a "typical" scientist. My hubby is a scientist (MUCH more brilliant than mckay IMHO) and if he ever treated people the way mckay does - I'd shoot him.
                      If you remember in the first few eps with ronon -- ronon was always asking sheppard if he could shoot mckay! sheppard should have let him.

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                        I don't hate him but he does get on my nerves at times
                        Welcome poundpuppy! It doesn't matter your level of dislike for mckay, you are welcome here! Some like you are only irritated, others (myself especially) are waiting for Todd to feed on him! although his whining would be excruciating to listen to. scratch that idea.

Comment

Welcome poundpuppy! It doesn't matter your level of dislike for mckay, you are welcome here! Some like you are only irritated, others (myself especially) are waiting for Todd to feed on him! although his whining would be excruciating to listen to. scratch that idea.
                          LOL it took Tao of Rodney for me to like him but he's not the reason I watch. I think the eps with his sister are overrated McKay and Mrs. Miller was predictable and I was not impressed with AU Rodney at all.
                          sigpic
                          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

LOL it took Tao of Rodney for me to like him but he's not the reason I watch. I think the eps with his sister are overrated McKay and Mrs. Miller was predictable and I was not impressed with AU Rodney at all.
                            I too will find myself liking him now and then, then he opens his mouth and ruins it all. I just have a zero whine tolerance! ZERO!!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome to the thread! Yep here is the place to sit down, take off your shoes and criticize our "favorite" moaner. I get all peeved at him being portrayed as a "typical" scientist. My hubby is a scientist (MUCH more brilliant than mckay IMHO) and if he ever treated people the way mckay does - I'd shoot him.
                              If you remember in the first few eps with ronon -- ronon was always asking sheppard if he could shoot mckay! sheppard should have let him.
                              Oh that would have been fun to watch.....Can i shoot him

I liked his sister...She's nice and a far better actor IMHO.....She's funny,she DOES NOT whine and she makes fun of him which always makes me laugh.......She gives him a taste of his own medicine!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X