This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perkin127 View Post
    I second that, i love the stargate books and esp the audio books read by the actors, could u ask David Hewlett if he's going to do one, that would be awsome!

On the topic of the replicators, i think they were a great badguy but i've had enough now, theres only so many stories you can tell before they become less intimidating,(esp as wev'e wiped them all ouy once already) although ghost in the machine did manage to get my heart rate up!, also i think im a little bored of them as unlike the wraith and gou'ld they lack the shock value due to them looking like normal humans, you only have to take one look at a wraith to know their scary!
    I third that motion!
    sigpic

Comment

Episode #7 is now available!

It's "Ghost In the Machine" on this week's episode of the GateWorld Podcast! We've been looking forward to this one for months now, and the episode certainly does not disappoint. What did we think of Michelle Morgan's performance? Should the Replicators come back? Would this have been a better episode with Torri Higginson?

Also this week:

Preview! Get an exclusive peek at this week's new interview with David Nykl ("Radek Zelenka")

Listener Mail! Listeners tell us what they think about the Replicators, and if they've been over-done.

Listener Question: What makes Rodney McKay a great character? Is it his brilliant mind? His complete lack of tact? His vulnerability? Tell us why you like McKay, and don't miss "The Shrine" this Friday on SCI FI.

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Tell us what you thought of the newest Atlantis episode, answer the weekly listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks again to everyone for listening and contributing!
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

ahhhh McKay. McKay McKay McKay. McKay is by far the best character on Atlantis. He's the cocky underdog who masks all his short commings with these scientific feats of brilliance. He's completly dissmissive of anyone else and anyone's point of view which I find hillarious because everyone's obsessed with Political Correctness these days and he's the least PC character in Sci-Fi history since that guy in Babylon 5 with the line "Nuke em till they glow then shoot em in the dark".

his Hypochondria is also hillarious.

"Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
        Vir: I don't understand...
        Mollari: ...nor should you...

Comment

Rodney McKay is one of my favorite characters.
          To me he represents the "geek as hero" - someone socially inept, not GQ hot (although extremely cute, IMO), and much smarter than the average bear. With all his fears, foibles and shortcomings he still manages to be brave and saves the day, more often than not.
          He is someone I identify with more than any of the others, and I revel in the fact that he has finally found his place in the universe, with his Team, his "family," and would do anything to protect them, as they would for him. He represents a hope for some of us, that we, too, can find a place in a world that often seems to reject our differentness.
          That is also why I am so unhappy with his being paired with a young girl as the spoilers seem to suggest. It brings the character down to a pathetic level, someone to be laughed at, and it hurts me on a gut level when I see that.
          I'm all for him finding romance and happiness, but let it be with a fellow geek scientist, preferably closer in age and experience and not necessarily a gorgeous hottie, but someone who represents a real woman.
          I think David Hewlett is a brilliant actor, his ability to actually make all that technobabble believable is wonderful, and I love it when he gets the chance to do emotional, dramatic scenes.
          I love the McKay and Sheppart dynamic the best of all, there is something intense (not in a slash sense necessarily) and meaningful about their friendship that I appreciate more than anything else in the show.
          Also love when McKay and his sister get together, they are a great snarky team.

Comment

I'm having trouble getting the podcast to download. Every time I refresh it loads the first few seconds, then stops. A few times it gets to the news section, but I've been refreshing all day and have yet to get the whole thing to load. Tried it with both the pop up and RSS. I am using Quicktime 6.5.1, can anybody help?

Comment

you could spends hours talking about what makes Rodney McKay the best Stargate character, but it comes down to just two things. He is Canadian, and he imagined Amanda Tapping almost topless.

come on you were all thinking it, i just said it

Comment

Originally posted by wurlitzer153 View Post
                I'm having trouble getting the podcast to download. Every time I refresh it loads the first few seconds, then stops. A few times it gets to the news section, but I've been refreshing all day and have yet to get the whole thing to load. Tried it with both the pop up and RSS. I am using Quicktime 6.5.1, can anybody help?
                update to the latest version that would defenlty help

Comment

Just to warn you guys, you opened a door about Rodney McKay. I have a feeling that many Dgeek squirrels are going to be posting.
                  sigpic

Comment

Whats so great about Mckay? well he was an arrogant whiney annoying genious, but has slowly shown theres more to him than that, saving the day endless, but still being just annoying and arrogant enough that hes entertaining, the fact he has no clue about people and women in particular plus hes not bad to look at makes him almost as irrisatable as Ronon, and 100 times better than Shep

Comment

I have to admit, I wasn't into Atlantis from the very beginniing. I caught some of it here and there, but it wasn't until "Tao of Rodney" that I was suddenly and quite thoroughly drawn in. I'm a big hurt/comfort fiend, especially of the emotional variety, and there's some beautiful material in regards to that genre in that episode.

I love stories of people whom others might not get along so well with, but who end up surprising people by revealing caring sides that aren't immediately evident. McKay is complicated -- I like complicated. I like imperfect. I like characters who try to do the right thing but don't always succeed. I like characters with pain they hide beneath venemous spines; I love watching other characters slip past those spines -- especially when they do it accidentally and are surprised at the vulnerability they find beneath.

Moreover, he's growing as a person -- he's not stagnant. You can even measure the change, when he reacts differently now compared to how he did in previous seasons. (I made many such notes in my review of "The Daedalus Variations" for Pink Raygun.) You can applaud when he does better -- and tsk at him when he backslides. The fact that he *does* backslide now and then just adds to the depth -- it's fascinating to look at *why*, in those instances.

And I relate to Rodney -- perhaps too well. Not a *genuis* exactly, but I was always in the honors/advances/accellerated classes growing up, and I seldom got along with my peers. I've been accused of being arrogant, pretentious, self-centered, etc. People often tell me that I "use big words" -- and I never know what words are supposedly "big". I'm a bit sickly, and a hypochondriac. I love food -- yes, even hospital food. (Or else the hopsital I stayed in just had great grub!) I'm a coward (who, I hope, like Rodney, sometimes does brave things). I'm not a good liar, and it gets me into trouble. I am gulllible, falling for jokes easily. Hell, I even have the "my parents blamed me for their bad marriage" thing going on, to some degree. So in a lot of ways, I "get" Rodney. He's something of a mirror, and I'm the type who gravitates towards characters I feel I can best relate to.

And, well, he's funny, whether we're talking about his biting sarcasm, his lack of tact, his tendency to overreact, or his naivete. But I do look greatly forward to the more serious moments, both the sweet moments between him and his friends (most especially Sheppard), and the darker, angsty ones.

"The Shrine" sounds like a total hurt/comfort dream come true -- especially in the context of his medical condition being taken very seriously, as it rarely is. I've been dying to see it ever since I first heard about it! (T-minus 24 hours and 30 minutes ...)
                      Last edited by WolfenM; 21 August 2008, 05:38 PM.

My ships: + | + | +

Comment

Love the podcast, big ppodcast user so this is a welcomed addition to my downlaoder. however I cannot for the life of me find the RSS feed for the mp3 interviews. where is that?

edit: found it, itunes only. you should make a real rss for that thing as not everyone has those aweful, AWFUL ipods
                        Last edited by Cptnodegard; 22 August 2008, 08:43 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've finally managed to check out the podcast and I gotta say it's awesome! Darren and David you're doing a terrific job! it's so much fun listening to you guys talk about the eps, actors etc
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I'm smart?!? Cool! So if possible I have a quick question for David Hewlett. Was your performance in the shrine at all inspired by "What's eating Gilbert Grape?" I was having serious Arnie flashbacks a lot.

So what makes Rodney so great? At first he was the Atlantis version of Dr. House. He was the man you just loved to hate. He gave us great laughs and seriously annoyed us at times. But then gradually David Hewlett showed us that there was more to the character than just his annoying habits. Over time it was just love to love. Not love to hate.
                            sigpic

Comment

The reason I like McKay is that I see a lot of myself in him. It seems to me that his arrogance is his way of disguising his insecurity. I don't have his ego, but I am fairly intelligent and quite awkward in social situations, so I feel like I'm able to understand him fairly well.

Comment

I'm sorry to report that Kate Hewlett won't be able to join us for this week's podcast. We will catch up with her later for an interview, I hope.

So this week's discussion of "The Shrine" will be yours truly and Mr. David Hewlett!
                                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Working...
                                X