Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this is a good place for saying it.
    I like the podcast, and am listening it for some time now, and have two things that weren't right in the last podcast (episode 25):
    - first, in Search and Rescue, Michael didn't have a hive (btw, Daedalus wouldn't withstand a sustained fire from a hive so long it did in Search in Rescue), it was a Wraith cruiser. That's why it was destroyed so easily (yes, you're right, with the Asgard beams, we can destroy easily even a hive, but not after being bombarded for half an hour).
    - second, in Enemy at the Gate, Atlantis looked so small in the overall view from the top because in that moment it was already far from the hive falling in the Earth atmosphere>>perspective. Anyway I suppose we will never really be told how big any of those ships are by TPTB. And visual effects were often contradicting themselves, so it's impossible to judge from them.

But othewise, great thing that podcast, thumbs up.

Comment

Darren & David here are a couple pics regarding the San Francisco questions.
      http://members.shaw.ca/quade_1/atlantislanding.jpg
      http://members.shaw.ca/quade_1/gatebridge.jpg

In the first pic you can see it looks like a projected landing, which will leave Atlantis drifting towards San Francisco which is marked by the "A" by the Google Maps that is overlayed. The second part is the picture of the Golden Gate bridge in the episode, as you can see land behind the bridge, they are actually out in the ocean looking into the bay and not inside the bay beside Alcatraz looking out.

Comment

You know, I never noticed how Atlantis's piers are sometimes attached and sometimes arn't. But now as I'm going through my old favorite episodes I'm saying "Hey, it is different!" So thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'd never noticed.

My favorite and least favorite episode....

I would have to say that my least favorite episode this season was Tracker, I was bored the entire time. And I'm not exactly Dr. Keller's #1 fan.
        My absolute favorite..... I think my absolute favorite was Enemy at the Gate. I loved it because it had the series come full circle, and it had classic Stargate Atlantis moments that I really enjoyed.
        sigpic

Comment

Hey there all!

As usual, just didn't get it together to call in. Fav episode was A toss between EATG and Vegas. EATG was a neat little tie-up with boundless possiblities for jumping off point for the movie...intriguing!!
          Vegas: Wow, what a head-wrecker. Loved the terse dialogue of AU Shep. All facial posturing and little words. A thought provoking piece. Rodney was super! And great to see Harriman at any time!

Best to all!!

S'n'T
          "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
          Sara O' Neill's father;
          COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Episode #26 is now available!

The fifth season of Stargate Atlantis has drawn to a close. How does it measure up to the first four years? Darren and David run down their favorite episodes and moments from the past year, and discuss major storylines and plot developments.

Also this week:

Stargate News! The latest headlines from the Stargate universe, including lots of SGU casting news from the past week

Features! The latest special features from GateWorld

Interview! Preview this week's upcoming interview with "Michael" actor Connor Trinneer.

Listener Mail! Listeners weigh in on Season Five's high points and low points.

Listener Question: If you could travel back in time five years and offer one piece of constructive advice to the writers of Stargate Atlantis, what would you say? We’ll play and read the most insightful answers (and please keep it tactful).

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Tell us what you thought of the newest Atlantis episode, answer the weekly listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks for listening and contributing!
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Hey Darren and David,

Good job on the last Podcast. It was a nice review of Season 5. Brought out some excellent points.

To David, the prodigal scene was my most memorable scene as well this season. Truly an epic moment in the Stargate franchise.

Best,

B.G.
              sigpic

Comment

For the podcast: If I could go back 5 years and give TPTB some advice it would be to not give up on characters just because YOU have trouble writting for them(like Lt. Ford and Tayla), Avoid cliche sci-fi characters like Ronan, create more aliens so the Wraith are not over used, and concentrate on the friendships between the characters.

Choose any one those is you HAVE to pick one.
                Thanks for allowing me to take part as always.
                Mac Jackson
                Singer/Songwriter of
                "Harmony Constant"
                [email protected]
                myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                youtube.com/MacWJack
                Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Loved your podcast again!
                  If I had to give them one piece of advice, I'd think it would be nice it they'd had a "show bible" to keep track of all the various events, characters, and technology and to help avoid inconsistencies.

(PS- I used to watch CSI, but it got kinda same ol' same ol' after a few years. The addition of the sci fi element to that format in Vegas gave the ep a special feel that I loved. Plus the main characters of CSI didn't usually get the kind of dramatic ending that Det. Sheppard did. The episode has stayed vivid in my mind and haunted me more so than any other episode of SG1 or SGA, so I honestly have to say it is my favorite. It had that much impact )
                  sigpic

Comment

First of all great work on the podcasts and congrats on making it an entire season, now let's see if you can go an entire series

Giving the writers one piece of advise would be hard. I would have to choose between, involving the city and Stargate in more episodes. Or keeping the Wraith mysterious and not humanizing them, which totally ruined their guise as scary aliens.

Comment

If I could go back five years, I wouldn't change anything. Sure there are a few mess-ups and some things that don't make sense, but what fun would that be if you had a perfect show? Sometimes the best shows/movies are the ones that you can poke holes in.

P.S. Yey Tammy!!!! Can we have her more often?
                      sigpic

Comment

Episode #27 is now available!

In this special “Atlantis Deconstructed” installment of the podcast, Darren and David get their hands dirty digging into the show that was and the show we wished it would have been. Where did the second Stargate television series triumph, and where did it fall short? (WARNING: Your opinions may vary.)

Also this week:

Stargate News! The latest headlines from the Stargate universe

Features! The latest special features from GateWorld

Interview! Preview our very first interview with new Stargate Universe cast member Brian J. Smith!

Listener Mail! Listeners weigh in on how Atlantis might have been better.

Listener Question: Next week is our first “Open Line Night,” so call or write in and tell us what you want to hear Darren and David talk about! As us a question, give us a topic, ask a trivia question — you are in charge of next week’s show.

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Tell us what you thought of the newest Atlantis episode, answer the weekly listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks for listening and contributing!
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Oh noes varied opinions! How will we cope

Listening to it now, about half way through - very good so far.

Comment

Hey guys
                            Heres a question for u, do u play any of the Stargate mods, if so what ones?
                            I just finished work on one called Stargate Empire At War, its even been reviewed in magazines as the best mod for the Starwars Empire at war. I was so happy with that review i scanned it and emailed it around the world lol
                            Anyway back to the point, do u play nay of the mods?

Comment

Interesting idea about Atlantis having a conscious you could actually talk to, but I think it'd have been too cheesy and wouldn't have worked very well. I've watched a total of 20 minutes of Andromeda so I'm not sure how well it worked it that show. I think it should have a conscious/personality but not in the way you described in the podcast. I'm thinking of Hogwarts, you couldn't talk to it but it had it's own quirks and personality. Sometimes a staircase would take you to somewhere completely different, it helped you when you needed it (room of requirement), when the death eaters attacked it, it fought back.
                              I think something like this could have worked well in Atlantis. Wraith are attacking the city? Have the city seal doors on them. Some people are pinned down and are about to be discovered by the wraith? Have the city reveal a secret passage way for them to escape through. Kavanagh insults Dr Weir? Have the transporter send him to the other side of the City when he tries to go back to his quarters.
                              We kinda got a sense of this when Woolsey got trapped in the conference room, but I don't think it was Atlantis's doing.

Can you provide a link for the editorial you wrote explaining why you thought the reviewer got it wrong?

As for next week.... If you could rewrite an episode of SG1 or Atlantis, what would you change and why? or If you could write an episode of SG1 or Atlantis, what would it be about?
                              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by stargatelvr View Post
                                If I could go back five years, I wouldn't change anything. Sure there are a few mess-ups and some things that don't make sense, but what fun would that be if you had a perfect show? Sometimes the best shows/movies are the ones that you can poke holes in.

P.S. Yey Tammy!!!! Can we have her more often?
                                Hey they didn't read your PS on the Podcast...what is up with that

Darren?? David?? I have a Fan over here Thank you btw for saying that

Excellent Podcast!! I really enjoyed listening to it and revisiting many of the episodes over the last 5 years and remembering why I enjoy Sci-Fi and why I enjoy critiquing/discussing shows I actually like a lot. Not only does it allow you as a fan to feel that you have contributed in an emotional and intellectual way to a show you enjoy. It also allows you to find a way to express that enjoyment in conversation with others and forge bonds that becomes friendships. Be it online or at the workplace and even in the grocery line.

Great Podcast as always

of course it would have been even better had I not been sick
                                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                                X