Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Default Re: GateWorld Podcast Feedback!

you could spends hours talking about what makes Rodney McKay the best Stargate character, but it comes down to just two things. He is Canadian, and he imagined Amanda Tapping almost topless.

come on you were all thinking it, i just said it

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by wurlitzer153 View Post
    I'm having trouble getting the podcast to download. Every time I refresh it loads the first few seconds, then stops. A few times it gets to the news section, but I've been refreshing all day and have yet to get the whole thing to load. Tried it with both the pop up and RSS. I am using Quicktime 6.5.1, can anybody help?
    update to the latest version that would defenlty help

Chief Master Sergeant stargatelvr's Avatar

Earth Symbol Re: GateWorld Podcast Feedback!

Just to warn you guys, you opened a door about Rodney McKay. I have a feeling that many Dgeek squirrels are going to be posting.

Whats so great about Mckay? well he was an arrogant whiney annoying genious, but has slowly shown theres more to him than that, saving the day endless, but still being just annoying and arrogant enough that hes entertaining, the fact he has no clue about people and women in particular plus hes not bad to look at makes him almost as irrisatable as Ronon, and 100 times better than Shep

I have to admit, I wasn't into Atlantis from the very beginniing. I caught some of it here and there, but it wasn't until "Tao of Rodney" that I was suddenly and quite thoroughly drawn in. I'm a big hurt/comfort fiend, especially of the emotional variety, and there's some beautiful material in regards to that genre in that episode.

I love stories of people whom others might not get along so well with, but who end up surprising people by revealing caring sides that aren't immediately evident. McKay is complicated -- I like complicated. I like imperfect. I like characters who try to do the right thing but don't always succeed. I like characters with pain they hide beneath venemous spines; I love watching other characters slip past those spines -- especially when they do it accidentally and are surprised at the vulnerability they find beneath.

Moreover, he's growing as a person -- he's not stagnant. You can even measure the change, when he reacts differently now compared to how he did in previous seasons. (I made many such notes in my review of "The Daedalus Variations" for Pink Raygun.) You can applaud when he does better -- and tsk at him when he backslides. The fact that he *does* backslide now and then just adds to the depth -- it's fascinating to look at *why*, in those instances.

And I relate to Rodney -- perhaps too well. Not a *genuis* exactly, but I was always in the honors/advances/accellerated classes growing up, and I seldom got along with my peers. I've been accused of being arrogant, pretentious, self-centered, etc. People often tell me that I "use big words" -- and I never know what words are supposedly "big". I'm a bit sickly, and a hypochondriac. I love food -- yes, even hospital food. (Or else the hopsital I stayed in just had great grub!) I'm a coward (who, I hope, like Rodney, sometimes does brave things). I'm not a good liar, and it gets me into trouble. I am gulllible, falling for jokes easily. Hell, I even have the "my parents blamed me for their bad marriage" thing going on, to some degree. So in a lot of ways, I "get" Rodney. He's something of a mirror, and I'm the type who gravitates towards characters I feel I can best relate to.

And, well, he's funny, whether we're talking about his biting sarcasm, his lack of tact, his tendency to overreact, or his naivete. But I do look greatly forward to the more serious moments, both the sweet moments between him and his friends (most especially Sheppard), and the darker, angsty ones.

"The Shrine" sounds like a total hurt/comfort dream come true -- especially in the context of his medical condition being taken very seriously, as it rarely is. I've been dying to see it ever since I first heard about it! (T-minus 24 hours and 30 minutes ...)
    Last edited by WolfenM; August 21st, 2008 at 06:38 PM.

Love the podcast, big ppodcast user so this is a welcomed addition to my downlaoder. however I cannot for the life of me find the RSS feed for the mp3 interviews. where is that?

edit: found it, itunes only. you should make a real rss for that thing as not everyone has those aweful, AWFUL ipods
    Last edited by Cptnodegard; August 22nd, 2008 at 09:43 AM.

I've finally managed to check out the podcast and I gotta say it's awesome! Darren and David you're doing a terrific job! it's so much fun listening to you guys talk about the eps, actors etc

I'm smart?!? Cool! So if possible I have a quick question for David Hewlett. Was your performance in the shrine at all inspired by "What's eating Gilbert Grape?" I was having serious Arnie flashbacks a lot.

So what makes Rodney so great? At first he was the Atlantis version of Dr. House. He was the man you just loved to hate. He gave us great laughs and seriously annoyed us at times. But then gradually David Hewlett showed us that there was more to the character than just his annoying habits. Over time it was just love to love. Not love to hate.

The reason I like McKay is that I see a lot of myself in him. It seems to me that his arrogance is his way of disguising his insecurity. I don't have his ego, but I am fairly intelligent and quite awkward in social situations, so I feel like I'm able to understand him fairly well.

I'm sorry to report that Kate Hewlett won't be able to join us for this week's podcast. We will catch up with her later for an interview, I hope.

So this week's discussion of "The Shrine" will be yours truly and Mr. David Hewlett!

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

I'd like to add to this thread that "The Shrine" is easily the best episode of TV I've seen since the Dr. Who Episode "Midnight"

David Hewlett did an amazing portrayal of someone suffering from alsthimers and even the "childhood" aspect of "Second Childhood"

I was literally in tears watching it and I haven't cried that much since the last episode of Babylon 5. It's clearly been cut off before it's pride and I hope the rest of this year is filled with episodes of equal calibre.
    http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Phanta.../3-259k8xg.gif
    "Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
    Vir: I don't understand...
    Mollari: ...nor should you...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I'm sorry to report that Kate Hewlett won't be able to join us for this week's podcast. We will catch up with her later for an interview, I hope.

So this week's discussion of "The Shrine" will be yours truly and Mr. David Hewlett!
    Awwww... Darn it. Oh well. At least David's still coming!

Staff Sergeant timtheomniscient's Avatar

Big thumbs up from the UK! thanks so much for making this podcast. have been waiting for ages for a stargate podcast. ive recently had to start doing temp work so i can afford my teacher training and im telling you, this podcast is really helping me through it. i love the detail your going into as its exactly the kind of conversations i have with my brother. keep up the good work and i cant wait for the next one.
    all the best
    tim

The 11th Doctor. Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Mega bummer about Kate! I wish her well!

David H, you and Kate did an amazing job on "The Shrine"!!! The sequence in John's room/on the pier was absolutely wonderful -- it's now my favourite in the entire franchise! *HUGS* to you re: the cancellation!!

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Episode #7 is now available!

It's "Ghost In the Machine" on this week's episode of the GateWorld Podcast! We've been looking forward to this one for months now, and the episode certainly does not disappoint. What did we think of Michelle Morgan's performance? Should the Replicators come back? Would this have been a better episode with Torri Higginson?

Also this week:

Preview! Get an exclusive peek at this week's new interview with David Nykl ("Radek Zelenka")

Listener Mail! Listeners tell us what they think about the Replicators, and if they've been over-done.

Listener Question: What makes Rodney McKay a great character? Is it his brilliant mind? His complete lack of tact? His vulnerability? Tell us why you like McKay, and don't miss "The Shrine" this Friday on SCI FI.

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Tell us what you thought of the newest Atlantis episode, answer the weekly listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks again to everyone for listening and contributing!
    I'm a bit late to the pod people world.

Darren, will there be anything set up for the international fans to make a contribution on the phone lines? Becasue let's face it, I always love to hear the sound of my own voice, and it would be interesting to hear the differing views of varying nations.

Also, is it possible to give a closing date on Listeners questions? Or did I miss that?

Listener Question responses generally need to be in by Sunday afternoon, written or voice mail. (If you have some feedback that isn't directly answering the listener question, it can come in any time and we might use it in a future show.)

Of course listeners in other countries can call the U.S. hotline, if you're willing to pay the phone charges. We're also considering a Skype voicemail box, but we get a small enough amont of voicemail right now that we're not quite ready to spend the extra money every month.

You can certainly record a message on your PC and just e-mail it to webmaster -at- gateworld.net!

Colonel

Thanks Darren, that plugs the gaps for me. I've really enjoyed what i've heard so far.

Episode #8 is now available!

Special guest David Hewlett is on the GateWorld Podcast! The actor plays Rodney McKay on Stargate Atlantis, so who better to join us for our discussion of last Friday's episode "The Shrine." We chat about what we think made this week's episode one of the show's very best, and David gives us his unique insight into its filming.

It's also a bombshell week in Stargate news, with MGM and SCI FI announcing the end of Stargate Atlantis and the green light for the third series, Stargate Universe. Don't miss our special podcast next week where we will talk in-depth about the end of Atlantis, the start of Universe, and the current state of our favorite franchise.

Also this week:

Preview! Get an exclusive peek at our upcoming interview with David Hewlett, who spoke to us at length about the show's cancellation

Listener Mail! Listeners tell us why they think Rodney is such a great character. Also, fans sound off on the cancellation of Atlantis.

Listener Question: How do you feel about the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis, the decision to continue with TV movies, and the announcement of Stargate Universe?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Tell us what you thought of the newest Atlantis episode, answer the weekly listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks to everyone for listening and contributing!

The Pantsinator
    (Moderator)

Just want to say I completely enjoyed this last podcast with David Hewlett.

I look forward to next weeks as well. Even when there is not an episode discussion, you are finding some very interesting topics and it is time I am really enjoying spending overall

Thanks for keeping up the great work
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Can't wait to hear the interview with David.

Loved hearing his view on the Shrine too. always cool to see what one of the actors thinks of the show especially when the DVD commentary is usually the Writers and Directors
    http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Phanta.../3-259k8xg.gif
    "Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
    Vir: I don't understand...
    Mollari: ...nor should you...