Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The McKay/Beckett friendship and Season 5 - will it be the same?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The McKay/Beckett friendship and Season 5 - will it be the same?

In the Episodes with Mckay and Clone Beckett Mckay seems to treat him the same as the original and even saying his friend has come back to him. But his friend (the original) did die and Dr. Beckett is never coming back. Why do people believe the Clone is the same as the Original? He is not. It is actually impossible to create a duplicate of the Original Dr. Beckett.

Original Beckett and Clone Beckett are 2 different people.

» Because he is the same. It's like copying and pasting.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
      » Because he is the same. It's like copying and pasting.
      Um no he is not. The Clone does not have the same Consciousness.

Example: Thor the Asgard has appeared in several Clone bodies. But these bodies are actually him because he transferred his Consciousness to another body. The Consciousness is what makes him him and in which no one else has.

So if someone created a Clone of me that was Genetically the same and was given my memories that person would still not be me since we don't share the same Consciousness.

Comment

I think this is a simple answer myself. carson is rodney's best friend, so to rodney, nothing has changed. he doesn't care if carson is a clone or not.

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
          I think this is a simple answer myself. carson is rodney's best friend, so to rodney, nothing has changed. he doesn't care if carson is a clone or not.
          So basically Rodney is deluding himself into believing a lie.

I still don't like how they trusted the clone so readily.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
            So basically Rodney is deluding himself into believing a lie.
            maybe so, but like I said, to rodney nothing's changed. to him, it isn't a lie. "the kindred II" makes that point.
            Last edited by naamiaiset; 02 July 2008, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Because he's lost a year ago his best friend and what he gets right now is the closest thing he'll ever have of having him around again.
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Remember Rodney felt guilty over his best friends death in Beckett. He is deluding himself into thinking Carson is back again in a purely selfish way.
                Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
                  Um no he is not. The Clone does not have the same Consciousness.

Example: Thor the Asgard has appeared in several Clone bodies. But these bodies are actually him because he transferred his Consciousness to another body. The Consciousness is what makes him him and in which no one else has.

So if someone created a Clone of me that was Genetically the same and was given my memories that person would still not be me since we don't share the same Consciousness.
                  I'm not sure exactly what you mean by consciousness in this context. There's no such thing as a unique consciousness as it just describes a state of self awareness. It seems like you're grasping at the idea of a soul, but then you mentioned that you viewed the Asgard as different from Beckett. Yet all they do is upload the "data" in their head into a computer so they can later download it into a new brain. So I'm confused as to what you're trying to get at.

By some process which has yet to be explained, Michael seems to have also managed to make a complete copy of Beckett's brain. He has the same memories, (up until a point) the same opinions, and even the same emotions. Which is more than I can say for Asgard as it's been suggested that their current emotional state could be a negative side effect of the process by which they store copies of their mental selves. Besides that, though, there's no apparent difference between a cloned Asgard and the Beckett clone.

Comment

Why shouldn't he? It's basically an alternate timeline Beckett, and since their timeline Beckett is dead, why should he treat the man who is essentially the same person as anything but Beckett? I really hate shows where alternates/clones are treated poorly, so this thread really shocked me as I loved how Beckett-clone was dealt with.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                    ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Clone Beckett is essentially identical to the Beckett who died in Sunday minus everything that happened between Misbegotten and Sunday. Rodney and Carson had already grown quite close even before S3 so I don't think their friendship will be any worse off.

However Clone Beckett had been in captivity for almost two years so you can bet that from a psychological standpoint he'd be very different from the original Beckett

Comment

» What Kezia said. He's just been missing for a year, basically.

» I prefer if he was treated like the real thing, for my own personal sanity. To me, he's the same too. Besides, I'm already angry enough at tptb, treating him like the real thing would take that burden off our plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
                          However Clone Beckett had been in captivity for almost two years so you can bet that from a psychological standpoint he'd be very different from the original Beckett
                          Yet the clone seemed no worse for wear after he was rescued.

Comment

It's Rodney; I don't think he puts much emphasis on souls or different consciousnesses and all that stuff. If it acts like Carson, looks like Carson, uh...kisses like Carson, then he'll treat him like Carson.

Comment

I find it particularly stupid that everyone suddenly feels this way about clones, that they are the same. Because they made it pretty clear in TMC that they could never accept a clone as much as the original person.
                              I myself have a problem with it, because as much as I believe with my mind that you have the same rights as a person when you are a clone, because you have all the memories and emotions, my heart just won't agree.

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Working...
                              X