Don S. Davis: 1942-2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don S. Davis: 1942-2008

With great sadness we must report that veteran actor Don S. Davis passed away on June 29, 2008. He was 65 years old.

Don co-starred on Stargate SG-1 for the show's first seven years, helping to launch the enduring science fiction franchise. Davis played Major General George Hammond, base commander and a father figure to many of the show's characters.

The following message was provided by Don's representative and his wife, Ruby Fleming-Davis:

Dear Fans and Friends of Don S. Davis,

So many of you have been touched by not only the work and art of Don S. Davis, but by the man himself, who always took the time to be with you at the appearances he loved, that it is with a tremendous sense of loss I must share with you that Don passed away from a massive heart attack on Sunday morning, June 29th.

On behalf of his family and wife, Ruby, we thank you for your prayers and condolences. A family memorial where Don's ashes will be scattered in the ocean will take place in a few weeks, and should you wish to, please make a donation to the American Heart Association in Don's memory.
    Please visit GateWorld for the complete story, plus a special video tribute to Don S. Davis.

We invite everyone to share their thoughts, memories, prayers in this thread. As stated above, in lieu of flowers or gifts, Don's family invites you to make a donation in his memory to the American Heart Association. For those who want to send a card, we are waiting to hear from Don's representatives as to where they can be sent.
    Last edited by Darren; 30 June 2008, 06:18 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Really, really sad news. Hammond of Texas will always live in my heart.

Comment

I'm not sure if there's already a General Hammond/Don S. Davis appreciation thread, but in light of today's heartbreaking announcement I thought it fitting to begin a new thread for people to express their grief over his passing, reminisce about their favourite Hammond moments, and share their stories about the man himself, if they were lucky enough to meet him.

I never met Don, and am very sorry I'll never get the chance. From all accounts he was a marvellously kind and funny man, as well as a very talented actor. Hammond is one of my favourite characters on SG-1, and I'll always be grateful to Don for the warmth and depth he brought to the character.
      sigpic

Thanks to YappiChick for the lovely sig

Comment

Today is truly a dark day.

May you rest in peace, Mr. Davis, for you have done more than enough to brighten all of our lives in the past 12 years.

Comment

I couldn't believe this when I heard it, Don S Davis is a brilliant warm actor and he will be truely missed. I've seen him in a few things and he's always the man that is lovely and warm good hearted.

He will be greatly missed.

Well we all know what the 5th season of Atlantis will be dedicated to.
          And no more Hammond, Bra'tac would be sad.
          Maybe they could have him die in the show and have a momorial for him on it, It would suit his memory.

R.I.P
          if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

RIP, Don. Godspeed.

Comment

Thank you Sir for the entertainment you brought me in your role as Hammond and for the joy brought to untold numbers in your various roles throughout your acting.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Davis Family and the extended Stargate Family.

Rest in pease Sir.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

I couldn't believe this when I heard it, Don S Davis is a brilliant warm actor and he will be truely missed. I've seen him in a few things and he's always the man that is lovely and warm good hearted.

He will be greatly missed.

Well we all know what the 5th season of Atlantis will be dedicated to.
                And no more Hammond, Bra'tac would be sad.
                Maybe they could have him die in the show and have a momorial for him on it, It would suit his memory.

R.I.P
                if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Rest in peace. May you always remind us of the good old days, Hammond of Texas.

Comment

I'm absolutely shocked and deeply saddened at the news of his passing. My condolences to his family, friends and loved ones. He was a kind and generous person who will be greatly missed.

Comment

that's very sad. RIP Don and thank you for everything
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I found out a few hours ago and I am still stunned. Shock doesn't begin to describe it. I first saw Mr. Davis on MacGyver, he guest starred in two episodes, and I have been a fan of his ever since. Everytime I see him in something I'll go "Hey, It's General Hammond!" He'll always be General Hammond to me, no matter what.

My heart goes out to his family, friends, my fellow fans as well as his Stargate family. Godspeed Captain Davis, General Hammond.

You will be missed.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME.

Comment

This is very sad news. My deepest sympathies to Mr. Davis' family and friends, including everyone at The Bridge Studios.

Comment

Last year I had the chance to spend a week with Don whilst he was visiting Australia. The man was a rare gem.
                            Whilst here I learnt a couple of things about him. First, he did love those who served. He spent ANZAC Day with a bunch of Aussie soldiers and airman which was a highlight of the week.
                            The other thing that stood out, was his love for his wife Ruby.

My sincere admiration for this man, and all my thoughts to his loving wife.

He will be missed.

Pronto
                            First Contact Conventions.

Comment

I am in shock!!

My condolences out to Don S. Davis family and friends.

I don't know what to say!!
                              Richard Dean Anderson is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!!
                              sigpic
                              Hawaii-Five-O-Heat-Wave-Thunk-thread-of-hotness

Comment

Working...
                              X