• Show
Clear All

Enterprise E or Nero's Narada
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
      Enterprise E or Nero's Narada
      Nope. Kirk's Enterprise might actually have a shot though. It seems to do its fighting at warp speeds and TOS includes quite a few examples of them shooting at things beyond visual range, even with phasers.

It's kind of funny watching the original series. If you just treat them like two different shows and forget the fact the Ent D and E are supposed to come later, the ships in the original one are actually massively more capable in combat thanks to the whole FTL brawling thing. I don't think any other visual sci-fi has that and it's a total game changer. If you can't do it and your opponent can you basically auto lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        Nope. Kirk's Enterprise might actually have a shot though. It seems to do its fighting at warp speeds and TOS includes quite a few examples of them shooting at things beyond visual range, even with phasers.

It's kind of funny watching the original series. If you just treat them like two different shows and forget the fact the Ent D and E are supposed to come later, the ships in the original one are actually massively more capable in combat thanks to the whole FTL brawling thing. I don't think any other visual sci-fi has that and it's a total game changer. If you can't do it and your opponent can you basically auto lose.
        I never understood why they mucked about with phasers when torpedoes can close at FTL speeds. Wouldn't it be more effective to develop missile cruisers that can fire torpedoes at high warp? It's a fascinating idea because I'm only ware of a bare handful of 'verses where they have FTL combat.

Comment

I'm not sure if torps in the new trek can go to warp or just stay at warp. The TOS ones obviously could though. I'm also thinking along the lines of they have excellent sensors, cheap anti matter production and small warp drives so why aren't we getting shuttle sized ship and planet killing missiles.

Throw a cloak on it if you're a Romulan or Klingon and you can effectively hold the entire quadrant hostage.

The whole alpha quadrant should basically be a big cold war in space with everyone afraid to really do anything hostile because they've all got their fingers on a button that'll send thousands of warp capable anti matter missiles flying at each other's populated planets.

This actually highlights one of the major reasons why the Andromeda tends to dominate so badly. It really gets the most out of the tech the universe that made it has available. That's to say it's pretty hard to speculate on seemingly obvious improvements to its design that were apparently just blindly overlooked.

The Andromeda isn't even a dedicated ship killer in its own setting. It's a command and control ship meant to coordinate fleets and be a sort of jack of all trades. Yet it still crushes.
          Last edited by Ouroboros; 16 May 2012, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
            I'm not sure if torps in the new trek can go to warp or just stay at warp. The TOS ones obviously could though.
            They couldn't in TNG at least, I remember reading in the tech manual that they could only sustain the warp speeds they were fired from.

I'm also thinking along the lines of they have excellent sensors, cheap anti matter production and small warp drives so why aren't we getting shuttle sized ship and planet killing missiles.

Throw a cloak on it if you're a Romulan or Klingon and you can effectively hold the entire quadrant hostage.

The whole alpha quadrant should basically be a big cold war in space with everyone afraid to really do anything hostile because they've all got their fingers on a button that'll send thousands of warp capable anti matter missiles flying at each other's populated planets.

This actually highlights one of the major reasons why the Andromeda tends to dominate so badly. It really gets the most out of the tech the universe that made it has available. That's to say it's pretty hard to speculate on seemingly obvious improvements to its design that were apparently just blindly overlooked.

The Andromeda isn't even a dedicated ship killer in its own setting. It's a command and control ship meant to coordinate fleets and be a sort of jack of all trades. Yet it still crushes.
            It's kind of sad that the most popular sci-fi shows are he ones that have so many obvious tech applications that are overlooked.

Comment

The Battle Star Galactica. Assuming they launched all the squadrons. Anyhow, the real issue is how to hit it. In star trek, the computer cores are surrounded by a warp field to allow ftl computations... if we armed a few drones with that and gave them some sort of ftl drive... well then we might as well use that armada of smart bombs from that episode of star trek voyager... Im pretty sure tuvok said that they were comparable to tricobalt devices...

Please help my dragon grow!

Comment

Or we could always use extremely localized time dilation to slow it and launch torpedoes, and then release the time dilation .0001 seconds before the projectile hits

Please help my dragon grow!

Comment

Working...
                X