Page 437 of 437 FirstFirst ... 337387427434435436437
Results 8,721 to 8,739 of 8739

Default Re: Fanfic Pet Peeves

Its Too Easy

I say this because only one out of every 30 stories I find of any fanfic universe; the writers make it VERY HARD for the characters to figure out what is causing their problems; in most stories outside of that one out of 30; the writers of these stories make it too simple and the characters figure out their problems off the bat. Its zero character buildup! I want character build up, be it emotional, physical, or visual. Give me that character building in the hardest possible way. don't make it too easy for the characters! Make it seem impossible for them to do it. Give them a reason for me to read their story please.

Don't get me started on really short chapters!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete

"Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

*creeps in*

Sorry...short but necessary rant...

Daniel Jackson is NOT Indiana Jones....

And DON'T call him "Indy"...

*creeps out again*...

Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    the writers of these stories make it too simple and the characters figure out their problems off the bat.
    Even the most basic story cycle is try, fail, try, fail, try, succeed, not try, succeed.

Although worse, IMO, are problems that would be solved if the characters just effing talked to each other.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

I know this issue comes from the country the story is being written in, but I hate it when I come across a story that's littered with "was sat", "was stood", and things similar. It is so distracting, it just yanks me right out of the story. I'm reading one now where it seems like there is something like this in every other sentence, and I want to just scream.

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    I know this issue comes from the country the story is being written in, but I hate it when I come across a story that's littered with "was sat", "was stood", and things similar. It is so distracting, it just yanks me right out of the story. I'm reading one now where it seems like there is something like this in every other sentence, and I want to just scream.
    I agree with you. A lot of grammar mistakes are the worst but again, as a person who is not a native English speaker, I have to say that the English language is not the easiest language. I have read stories that have a lot of grammar mistakes where the writer is a native English speaker. I'm sure that people would be happy if someone left a review telling them about their grammar mistakes and how they can improve, but again you have the people who have a hissy fit when you tell them that their grammar is bad. That's something I dislike...

Captain

To have good grammar, you need to care about grammar, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with being a native or non-native English speaker.

I suspect the errors of non-native speakers are more irritating to some native speakers (not addressed specifically to hedwig) because they are less familiar with those errors, so they are more jarring.

What I don't like is being told I'm making an error when what I'm doing is using the less common (but not wrong!) form of a verb, like leapt or dreamt instead of leaped or dreamed (see, the board's spell chucker is doing it to me right now!)

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Grammar of any language is a pain in the mik'ta.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

When an author jumps from one scene/day to the next without a line/page break/ new chapter. It's so confusing when one paragraph you're reading a scene then the next has completely time-jumped. It makes following the plot nearly impossible!
    Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Peeve of the day #2 - prudish language/behaviour in fics.

If Jack says "s**t" then spell the word, don't use "****" just change the rating. Incidentally, also don't use words like "cripes" or "fudge" to replace swearing by adults in a story. It's not only OOC for the main ones (except Sam/Jacob's 'Holy Hannah!' because that's canon) and makes me think the author is a linguistically challenged 12 year old.

When Mark gives Sam a lecture about not sleeping with Jack "under my roof" either because he thinks it's immoral to sleep together until they're married/it sets a bad example for the kids etc. - I've read variations on this theme in so many fics.

Firstly, they're not randy teenagers and secondly they're adults too. It's incredibly patronising and insulting. I get that there are people who have those beliefs but none of SG-1 is a blushing virgin, can we not pretend that they are and leave the moral preaching out? It just ruins the flow of the story and the OOC-ness grates on my nerves. If you want to write a PG-rated story, just leave out the R-rated bits altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLM View Post
    ...none of SG-1 is a blushing virgin...
    They couldn't even pretend to be that.

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

When an author jumps from one scene/day to the next without a line/page break/ new chapter. It's so confusing when one paragraph you're reading a scene then the next has completely time-jumped. It makes following the plot nearly impossible!
    Agreed, but it has happened to me more than once that the scene break is deleted when you upload a story. This is standard practice on FFnet so I always check there but it has happened randomly on other archives as well. Also, in the case of old fic there may have been scene breaks at the time of uploading, but FFnet (or other archive) has removed them because they've stripped symbols from the formatting due to spam attacks.

Of course, there are plenty of fanfic writers who don't care about scene breaks or basic formatting, so they might have left them out on purpose.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

When Mark gives Sam a lecture about not sleeping with Jack "under my roof" either because he thinks it's immoral to sleep together until they're married/it sets a bad example for the kids etc. - I've read variations on this theme in so many fics.
    I wonder what Mark thinks Sam and Pete were doing the whole time they were together. Shaking hands and saying goodnight at the door?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    They couldn't even pretend to be that.
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    Agreed, but it has happened to me more than once that the scene break is deleted when you upload a story. This is standard practice on FFnet so I always check there but it has happened randomly on other archives as well. Also, in the case of old fic there may have been scene breaks at the time of uploading, but FFnet (or other archive) has removed them because they've stripped symbols from the formatting due to spam attacks.

Of course, there are plenty of fanfic writers who don't care about scene breaks or basic formatting, so they might have left them out on purpose.
    Yeah ff.net is a pain in the mik'ta for that!

I wonder what Mark thinks Sam and Pete were doing the whole time they were together. Shaking hands and saying goodnight at the door?
    Well, in my head that's what happens after the hallway scene in Chimera. He slept on the floor and Sam's wearing a strapless pyjama top under that sheet, right?

Well, in my head that's what happens after the hallway scene in Chimera. He slept on the floor and Sam's wearing a strapless pyjama top under that sheet, right?

And he slept in the hallway, not in the bedroom. And Sam was probably also wearing a chastity belt....

And he slept in the hallway, not in the bedroom. And Sam was probably also wearing a chastity belt....

ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT49eckDNv4&list=PLMtL6e324FDeU74dGLVW3yx3JJMoUpR2z&index=1
    My thoughts exactly.

Can't green u Hedwig!

When it comes to Sam and Pete, I do what Jack probably does - stick my fingers in my ears, squeeze my eyes shut and lalala the theme tune to Stargate lol.

I'm not averse to reading M-rated fic, I just prefer it when it's S/J lol

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    I tried to find the clip with the Sheriff and his chafed willy, but it was not to be found
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I tried to find the clip with the Sheriff and his chafed willy, but it was not to be found
    Whenever my sister and I are randomly quoting from that film, which happens quite often cause it rocks, and the chastity belt is mentioned then we will both immediately think of that scene and next the one where they call for a locksmith.