Iron Man 2 : More Action , More Bad Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw it tonight.

I was a little disappointed, especially when compared to the first one (which was excellent).

Spoiler:
    The action sequences were spaced way too far apart. I love a strong story, especially in a comic book film, but let's be honest: I went to see this movie to see Iron Man, War Machine, and Whiplash knock the crap out of each other. I enjoyed the story, but there were just way too many (and too long) 'talky' sequences.

I was also kind of annoyed that that Mickey Rourke/Whiplash wasn't more prominently featured. From the amount of promotional material, I expected a lot more of him pounding on Iron Man than we ended up seeing. I was also quite annoyed that he died off-screen, just one among many explosions happening in the backdrop of the shot. The fights we did see were awesome, but there just wasn't enough of it. Too much time was spent (wasted) on the drones, too.

The acting, all around, was simply fantastic. Robert Downey Jr. is fantastic, and even more fantastic as Tony Stark. I can't imagine anyone more perfectly cast to the role than RDJ. Don Cheadle was also fabulous as the recast Rhodey/War Machine. I really didn't like Terrance Howard in the role, and to hell with him anyway. Greedy d-bag. Obviously special props definitely have to go to Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell. Both were amazing in their roles, absolutely outstanding.

Here's an odd one though: I adore Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts. I'm not even a fan of hers in general, I tend to think of her as a "meh, whatever" actress. But OMG, so perfect, so cute. Damn.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I saw the film last week and the best way to describe it is; dumber, louder, faster.

It was basically what I expected....actually let's be honest it was even less then expected. IMHO Robert Downey Jr. saved the film almost single-handedly from becoming a complete embarrassment. The opening scene with Whiplash was awkward and so not working and the whole expo thing was a complete :facepalm: moment. Also I had kinda hoped that Iron Man 2 would not suffer the curse of almost all sequels - comic book or else but it wasn't meant to happen.

The story was laughable at best and I missed the irony and intelligence of the first film. Like the third Spiderman film this one had way too many characters - new and old alike and as strange as it sounds ...it was often times simply too much. Too much action, too many FX, too loud but too little character development. RDJ did the best with a mediocre script (it was actually more of a borderline dud if you ask me) which shows again what an amazing actor the man is. Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper was also good. I already liked Pepper in part one, but she was woefully underused in Iron Man 2 IMO. Loved Samuel L.Jackson (well duh it is Nick Fury!) The villains were all rather forgettable (I didn't know the character Whiplash and had to look him up, before I went to see the film. He already sounded like a bore when I read about him on Marvel Wiki) , the same thing can be said about Scarlett Johansson but she is always forgettable.

So yeah the film wasn't a complete waste (with a delicious looking RDJ in it - no way). It had its moments ("You look like you have friends in low places"... oh Tony ), RDJ was wonderful but the film not so. Also I am pretty sure by now that John Faverou is a chauvinist of the worst kind. The first film didn't feel as sexist as this one did. I am okay with the fact that "Sin City" is sexist as hell, but it bothered me in Iron Man 2 and no I am not one of those hardliner feminists. Anything else? Yeah don't forget to the stay for the very end of the end credits ;-)

Grade: B- with a big minus....actually closer to C then B but I love RDJ so it is still a B
      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
      And he's wonderful.

Comment

I got to see it yesterday morning with a couple of friends who hadn't seen it either. The night before we watched IM1 so it was fresh in our minds.
        I was blown away by how great it was - they turned it up to 11! Lots of explosions but all supported by a great plot. Lots of action, lots of cool, lots of fun, and some heartwarming too, with a good helping of epicness. Sure it wasn't perfect (a bit hard to suspend disbelief regarding the
        Spoiler:
        briefcase-suit
        ) but I can live with that.
        After
        Spoiler:
        Natasha's big takedown scene
        I turned to my friend to say "I want one" but he beat me to it!
        Oh, and I made us stay for the end of the credits 'just in case' and got to say 'I told you so'. (there was only about 8 other people in the cinema actually).
        Oh and I've got a Stark Industries beanie now (though I had to eat too much popcorn in order to acquire it).

Closing remarks: Tony earns mad props for
        Spoiler:
        synthesizing a new element in his basement
        - sure it was pretty unbelievable but simultaneously it was unbelievably cool
        [edit] There's not such a thing as 'too much action' or 'too many effects' (outside of Michael Bay movies)
        [edit again] Forgot to mention (with good reason) that I loathed Hammer. (he failed epically )
        Last edited by Eternal Density; 16 May 2010, 02:26 AM. Reason: :P
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

I finally managed to see the movie *phew*
          I think it was a great movie. RDJ was awesome into combining the recklessnes, the selfishness but also the courage and the intelligence of his character.
          Also
          Spoiler:
          I loved the fight with the drones but I had the feeling they dealed too fast with whiplash as if they were in a hurry to finish the movie IMHO they should have spent more time on that fight.

However
          Spoiler:
          after the fight when Tony and Pepper landed on that roof and Rhodey told them to get another roof I was ROTFL
          Of course the Tony/Pepper banter is always very amusing

as a conclusion I can say I enjoyed the movie. IMO it worthed spending two hours of my free time watching it!

Comment

My wife and I absolutely loved this movie. While it was hard to do, this one topped the first movie in our opinions.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Iron Man 2 Reaches $300 Million at the US Box Office!

According to a report over at SuperHeroHype, the Marvel movie starring Robert Downey Jr has crossed the $300 million point at the US Box Office. The first movie which was released two years ago, made $318 million so there's still a little way to go before it manages to surpass it's predecessor. The site also points out that it will need to raise another $33 million in order to topple Alice in Wonderland which currently holds the title for North America's top grossing movie of this year.

However, Iron Man 2 has reached over $295 million outside of the US meaning that it has a worldwide box office total of $595.3 million which beats Iron Man's final take of $585.2 million! This is of course great news as it clearly points to the movie being a huge success! (despite some mixed reviews) It's also fair to assume that this news means we're almost guaranteed of seeing an Iron Man 3 in the future and only strengthens the fact that The Avengers will assemble on the big screen in 2012!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=19153

Comment

I seen it the other day, it was totally awesome i loved Mickey Rourke as Whiplash i never really read any Ironman comics before so i dont know much about him, i loved RDJ as Tony Stark his performance was phenominal, i loved the set up for the avengers movie, i loved that it had S.H.I.E.L.D characters like Black Widow & Happy Hogan (again) & Nick Fury, i also loved that H.A.M.M.E.R was in it aswell, oh and i liked Don Cheadle over Terrence Howard

I know i already mentioned her but im going to say i didnt really feel Scarlett Johanson as The Black Widow, she did a great job of portraying her yes but to me she didnt really have the look

Another thing im not a big fan of Ultimate Nick Fury, couldnt they have gone for 616verse look? RDA would be perfect as 616 Nick Fury, Samual L Jackson did a good job tho i just prefer 616 Nick Fury

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                My wife and I absolutely loved this movie. While it was hard to do, this one topped the first movie in our opinions.
                And mine
                Last edited by mr_kennedy; 17 June 2010, 07:21 AM.
                Last Movie Watched
                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                Life is Strange

Comment

Out of all the comic book characters i'd have to say Iron Man is my fav and i love the movies RDJ is amazing i so cant wait to see what they do for the third movie i love the action More Iron Man!!!
                  sigpic
                  (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

in iron man 2, how was Rhodie's suit powered? it was built to use tony's chest piece but Rhodes didnt have one
                    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

magnets
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

In the film it was sadi that Rhodie wasn't supposed to be able to pilot it due to in built security measures that seemed to have been deactivated..............maybe one of those security measures was Tony installing a seperate arc reactor.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post
                          in iron man 2, how was Rhodie's suit powered? it was built to use tony's chest piece but Rhodes didnt have one
                          It did have it's own core. Rhodie puts it in his pocket when Hammer shows up to offer all the "upgrades" for the suit.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          In the film it was sadi that Rhodie wasn't supposed to be able to pilot it due to in built security measures that seemed to have been deactivated..............maybe one of those security measures was Tony installing a seperate arc reactor.
                          Tony said he couldn't stop Rhodie from taking it, but it was all BS. The suit had it's own reactor (which Rhodie palmed to keep Hammer away from it) which would be needed for someone other than Tony to use it. He was able to fly the suit despite all the safety precautions, so Rhodie was authorised to use the suit and to top it off, Fury pointed out that Stark was giving all his stuff away because he was dying. So the suit wasn't just authorised to be used by Rhodie, Tony was probably going to give it to him.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                            It did have it's own core. Rhodie puts it in his pocket when Hammer shows up to offer all the "upgrades" for the suit.

Tony said he couldn't stop Rhodie from taking it, but it was all BS. The suit had it's own reactor (which Rhodie palmed to keep Hammer away from it) which would be needed for someone other than Tony to use it. He was able to fly the suit despite all the safety precautions, so Rhodie was authorised to use the suit and to top it off, Fury pointed out that Stark was giving all his stuff away because he was dying. So the suit wasn't just authorised to be used by Rhodie, Tony was probably going to give it to him.
                            That was more or less what I was trying to get at.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                            X