This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing back characters and its problems

The problem with writing back in characters who have left the series for a prolonged time is that we get used to and attatched to the characters who replaced them and as much as we want the old characters back we don't want to see the new ones go, as in the case of Corin Nemec aka Jonas Quinn (officially got shafted there), Ok there are some scenarios where someone is temperarely replaced as part of the story (as when Elizibeth Wier was brought in to command the SGC) so they don't really count.
    Here is my list of characters left and there replacements.

SG1

Doc Fraser - Doc Lam
    Daniel Jackson - Jonas Quinn
    Jonas Quinn - Daniel Jackson
    General Hammond - General Landrey
    (yes Hammond was technically replaced by O'Niell)
    Jack O'Niell - Cam Mitchell
    Sam Carter - Vala Malderan
    (yes Vala only temperarely replace Sam while Amanda Tapping was off the show, but Claudia Black was brought in full time eventually)

SGA

Lt Ford - Ronon
    Dr Carson Beckett - Dr Kellor
    Elizibeth Wier - Sam Carter
    Sam Carter - ???????

thats all i can think of anyone have more ?
    Last edited by Palantir71; 07 June 2008, 02:45 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
    I WILL KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND

I don't see the point in listing characters that were permenately replaced though... if your original point was that you don't want to bring older characters back b/c we've fallen in love with there replacements, then why list those who were given the boot after the old character returned?

Comment

Sam Carter is replaced by Woolsey.

Comment

I don't mind so much that characters are replaced, what bothers me is when a character is killed, replaced, then brought back with a "he/she wasn't dead after all" plot. the character is never the same as the first time around and it makes "killing" them at all seem pointless.

Comment

Some characters can be brought back. Others can't plain and simple.

I didn't like the character, but Jonas can be brought back as his character was as the temporary nerd. He was clearly portrayed in the show as temporary. If they want to bring him back in another role that is ok with me.

Dr. Frasier died. She can't come back except in stand alone alternate reality type of episodes or in flashbacks. Her replacement was Dr. Lam, who honestly did a poor job as the doctor. Dr. Frasier was far superior and played a much better role. She was the alternate female when Sam was unavailable, or when they wanted to play up womens issues.

General Hammond left the show but in a normal way. He got a promotion. He could be brought back if need be to his old job no problem. It happens all the time in real life that a semi-retired or higher up in a company because of other issues takes over the lesser jobs.

Ford is gone. I don't ever want to see him back.

Jack Oneil--same as Hammond. Although they would have to get rid of Cam because you can't have 2 lead males on the same team.

Bekket-It was wrong to kill him off, they should have sent him back to Earth or put him on assignment somewhere in Pegasus. They brought him back and I didn't like it. It raises the question of if someone is dead how dead are they.

Weir-She is gone and not coming back even though she was a good character. They wrote her off in a good way by turning her into a replicator so they could reuse her later. But she can't return as a permanent member.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramses818 View Post
            Some characters can be brought back. Others can't plain and simple.

I didn't like the character, but Jonas can be brought back as his character was as the temporary nerd. He was clearly portrayed in the show as temporary. If they want to bring him back in another role that is ok with me.

Dr. Frasier died. She can't come back except in stand alone alternate reality type of episodes or in flashbacks. Her replacement was Dr. Lam, who honestly did a poor job as the doctor. Dr. Frasier was far superior and played a much better role. She was the alternate female when Sam was unavailable, or when they wanted to play up womens issues.

General Hammond left the show but in a normal way. He got a promotion. He could be brought back if need be to his old job no problem. It happens all the time in real life that a semi-retired or higher up in a company because of other issues takes over the lesser jobs.

Ford is gone. I don't ever want to see him back.

Jack Oneil--same as Hammond. Although they would have to get rid of Cam because you can't have 2 lead males on the same team.

Bekket-It was wrong to kill him off, they should have sent him back to Earth or put him on assignment somewhere in Pegasus. They brought him back and I didn't like it. It raises the question of if someone is dead how dead are they.

Weir-She is gone and not coming back even though she was a good character. They wrote her off in a good way by turning her into a replicator so they could reuse her later. But she can't return as a permanent member.
            Wait Beckett is dead? You ever hear of spoiler tags mate? Not all of us have seen season four.

Comment

Originally posted by Palantir71 View Post
              The problem with writing back in characters who have left the series for a prolonged time is that we get used to and attatched to the characters who replaced them and as much as we want the old characters back we don't want to see the new ones go, as in the case of Corin Nemec aka Jonas Quinn (officially got shafted there), Ok there are some scenarios where someone is temperarely replaced as part of the story (as when Elizibeth Wier was brought in to command the SGC) so they don't really count.
              Here is my list of characters left and there replacements.

SG1

Doc Fraser - Doc Lam
              Daniel Jackson - Jonas Quinn
              Jonas Quinn - Daniel Jackson
              General Hammond - General Landrey
              (yes Hammond was technically replaced by O'Niell)
              Jack O'Niell - Cam Mitchell
              Sam Carter - Vala Malderan
              (yes Vala only temperarely replace Sam while Amanda Tapping was off the show, but Claudia Black was brought in full time eventually)

SGA

Lt Ford - Ronon
              Dr Carson Beckett - Dr Kellor
              Elizibeth Wier - Sam Carter
              Sam Carter - ???????

thats all i can think of anyone have more ?
              I think you're wrong, some of us hate the new characters - I hate Cam and Landry, barely tolerate the new Daniel, only Vala grew on me;
              On Atlantis Ford/Ronon - whatever, I hated the introduction of Keller and I wasn't very happy to see Weir go...

Comment

I love Cam + Laundry, although Jack + Hammond were better. The only character i didn't like was Vala, lol

Comment

I liked Jonas

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                    Wait Beckett is dead? You ever hear of spoiler tags mate? Not all of us have seen season four.
                    Yeh i agree...

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                      He never died in season 4.

Comment

Yeah... i'm pretty sure season 3 has made it's way around the world has it not? It recently finished itself out in syndication here in the US.

Comment

Well either way, I've not seen season three yet.

Comment

Theres a sense of danger to SGA there never was in sg1. We knew the big 4 would always come back intact no matter what massive threat they face. In the first episode of SGA the military commander goes down. One recurring and a regular go down in the seige. Another regular in s3 another at the start of s4.

Not gonna get bored or complacent when anything can happen.

Comment

ya i didnt like Quin, i did like daniel around season 7 the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X