This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Along The WatchTower - Complete

I don't know if this has ever been posted here but I know the version that is in the closing moments of Crossroads II has been posted but I dont recall ever seeing the full version.

All Along the Watch Tower - Cross Roads I and II, in it's entirity but with out the quotes from the show( in my opinion add's to the depth of the song or is it vice versa? hehe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUchAD44xA8

TheChosen1

I seem to be in the minority here, but I really, really hate this version of the song. Hendrix' is the seminal version by most accounts, I love the original Dylan even more... But the BSG version just sucks. The arrangement and instrumentation are great no doubt, but Bear McCreary's brother's "singing" (being very, very generous there) absolutely butchers the song. Makes it completely unlistenable as far as I'm concerned.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I seem to be in the minority here, but I really, really hate this version of the song. Hendrix' is the seminal version by most accounts, I love the original Dylan even more... But the BSG version just sucks. The arrangement and instrumentation are great no doubt, but Bear McCreary's brother's "singing" (being very, very generous there) absolutely butchers the song. Makes it completely unlistenable as far as I'm concerned.
      Well... I couldn't go that far but I do agree that the Hendrix/Dylan versions were way better. And the singing did feel unnecessary.

Still, I don't think it was that awful.

Comment

And I don't think most people did think it was that awful, that's why I said I think I'm in the minority

I wasn't trying to be dramatic either....I have my BSG season soundtracks playlists set up in order of episode, so that listening to the whole soundtrack in "my" order is like an auditory reliving of the season. Exception: I end my season 3 playlist with "Heeding the Call" because I just can't stand the AATW
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And I don't think most people did think it was that awful, that's why I said I think I'm in the minority

I wasn't trying to be dramatic either....I have my BSG season soundtracks playlists set up in order of episode, so that listening to the whole soundtrack in "my" order is like an auditory reliving of the season. Exception: I end my season 3 playlist with "Heeding the Call" because I just can't stand the AATW
          Sorry if my post came across a bit accusatory, that wasn't my intention
          So no worries

Setting up your playlist in order of episodes - cool idea! I gotta try that sometime.

Which eps were your favourite, soundtrack-wise? I thought the themes from Exodus were amazing, and the sonatica theme from Torn was real nice too.

Comment

I am in love with the new theme on board the baseship from the end of "Guess What's Coming to Dinner?" that picked right up at the beginning of "The Hub". WOW! That just might become my new favourite when we get the soundtrack in *gulp* a year. I'm thinking I might edit it off the ep as an mp3 because I want it now! Even if it has dialog over it. All the music in "The Hub" was fantastic actually,
            Spoiler:
            the piece while the hub was destroyed was gorgeous as was the new version of Roslin and Adama.

Comment

Heeding the Call is the best piece on the season three soundtrack. Absolutely love it. Of course I like to listen to it and All Along the Watchtower together.

Comment

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
                Sorry if my post came across a bit accusatory, that wasn't my intention
                So no worries
                Oh no worries at all, I was just explaining myself better

Which eps were your favourite, soundtrack-wise? I thought the themes from Exodus were amazing, and the sonatica theme from Torn was real nice too.
                The pieces from 'Exodus' are pretty terrific, I love putting all them on in a row. Admiral and Commander/Gentle Execution/Storming New Caprica/Refugees Return makes a great little auditory tour of those two episodes.

'Lay Down Your Burdens' is and remains my favourite episode of the entire series music-wise though: Something Dark Is Coming, Roslin Confesses, Dark Unions, One Year Later, and Worthy of Survival....it's like a single suite of music. I have it on all the time.

Actually, LDYB1&2 is probably my favourite episode of the series too.

Setting up your playlist in order of episodes - cool idea! I gotta try that sometime.
                First thing I do whenever the soundtracks are released is figure out what ep order they go in And because I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night, I'll go ahead and type them out for posterity's sake Spoiler tags for space:

Spoiler:
                Season 1
                01. Prologue
                02. Re-Cap
                03. Main Title US [stylistic choice, since I'm in Canada this is the theme I had for S1]
                04. Helo Chase (from '33')
                05. Helo Rescued (from '33')
                06. The Olympic Carrier (from '33')
                07. The Thousandth Landing (from 'Act of Contrition')
                08. Two Funerals (from 'Act of Contrition')
                09. The Card Game (from 'Act of Contrition')
                10. Starbuck Takes On All Eight (from 'Act of Contrition')
                11. Starbuck on the Red Moon (from 'You Can't Go Home Again')
                12. Forgiven (from 'You Can't Go Home Again')
                13. Helo in the Warehouse (from 'Litmus')
                14. Two Boomers (from 'Six Degrees of Separation')
                15. Baltar Speaks with Adama (from 'Six Degrees of Separation')
                16. Baltar Panics (from 'Six Degrees of Separation')
                17. Boomer Flees (from 'Flesh and Bone')
                18. Flesh and Bone (from 'Flesh and Bone')
                19. The Dinner Party (from 'Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down')
                20. Battlestar Operatica (from 'Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down')
                21. A Good Lighter (from 'The Hand of God')
                22. Battle on the Asteroid (from 'The Hand of God')
                23. Wander My Friends (from 'The Hand of God')
                24. Battlestar Muzaktica (from 'Colonial Day')
                25. Passacaglia (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 1')
                26. Kobol's Last Gleaming (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Parts 1 & 2')
                27. Destiny (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2')
                28. The Shape of Things to Come (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2')
                29. Bloodshed (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2')
                30. Main Title UK

Season 2
                01. Main Title
                02. Baltar's Dream (from 'Valley of Darkness')
                03. Metamorphosis Five (from 'Valley of Darkness') [note: Philip Glass piece, not included on BM's OST]
                04. Martial Law (from 'Fragged')
                05. Escape (from 'The Farm')
                06. A Promise to Return (from 'The Farm')
                07. Reuniting the Fleet (from 'Home, Parts 1 & 2')
                08. Allegro (from 'Home, Part 2')
                09. Colonial Anthem (from 'Final Cut')
                10. Pegasus (from 'Pegasus')
                11. Lords of Kobol (from 'Pegasus')
                12. The Cylon Prisoner (from 'Pegasus')
                13. Prelude to War (from 'Pegasus' and 'Resurrection Ship, Parts 1 & 2')
                14. Roslin and Adama (from 'Resurrection Ship, Parts 1 & 2')
                15. Gina Escapes (from 'Resurrection Ship, Part 2')
                16. Epiphanies (from 'Epiphanies')
                17. Standing in the Mud (from 'Black Market')
                18. Black Market (from 'Black Market')
                19. Scar (from 'Scar')
                20. Something Dark is Coming (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Parts 1 & 2')
                21. Roslin Confesses (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2')
                22. Dark Unions (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2')
                23. One Year Later (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2')
                24. Worthy of Survival (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2')

Season 3
                01. Main Title [note: not included on BM's OST]
                02. A Distant Sadness (from 'Occupation')
                03. Precipice (from 'Precipice')
                04. Admiral and Commander (from 'Exodus, Parts 1 & 2')
                05. Gentle Execution (from 'Exodus, Part 2')
                06. Storming New Caprica (from 'Exodus, Part 2')
                07. Refugees Return (from 'Exodus, Part 2')
                08. Battlestar Sonatica (from 'Torn')
                09. Wayward Soldier (from 'Hero')
                10. Fight Night (from 'Unfinished Business')
                11. The Dance (from 'Unfinished Business')
                12. Violence and Variations (from 'Unfinished Business')
                13. Adama Falls (from 'Unfinished Business')
                14. Kat's Sacrifice (from 'The Passage')
                15. The Temple of Five (from 'The Eye of Jupiter')
                16. Someone To Trust (from 'Taking A Break From All Your Worries')
                17. Dirty Hands (from 'Dirty Hands')
                18. Under the Wing (from 'Maelstrom')
                19. Mandala in the Clouds (from 'Maelstrom')
                20. Deathbed and Maelstrom (from 'Maelstrom')
                21. Heeding the Call (from 'Crossroads, Part 2')
                22. All Along the Watchtower (from 'Crossroads, Part 2')

I'm also in the middle of rewatching Carnivale and trying to sort that soundtrack by episode as well. Yeah, I'm a colossal nerd. You get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  Heeding the Call is the best piece on the season three soundtrack. Absolutely love it.
                  Agreed. I mean, having watched the related episodes I know exactly what it's about, but that title coupled with the buildup makes the whole such a "destiny" piece

I am in love with the new theme on board the baseship from the end of "Guess What's Coming to Dinner?" that picked right up at the beginning of "The Hub". WOW! That just might become my new favourite when we get the soundtrack in *gulp* a year. I'm thinking I might edit it off the ep as an mp3 because I want it now! Even if it has dialog over it. All the music in "The Hub" was fantastic actually,
                  Spoiler:
                  the piece while the hub was destroyed was gorgeous as was the new version of Roslin and Adama.
                  Yes indeedy....nearer the beginning of the season it felt like a lot of music was being recycled, but as this year's gone by the musical evolution has been a joy to listen to. I noticed how great it sounded in 'The Hub' too

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Spoiler:
                    That was great! And the battle scene totally reminded me of when they blew up the resurrection ship way back in S2... it had the same epic vibe to it
                    I also loved the slowed-down R&A. I always get chills whenever I hear a great theme being reprised

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                    'Lay Down Your Burdens' is and remains my favourite episode of the entire series music-wise though: Something Dark Is Coming, Roslin Confesses, Dark Unions, One Year Later, and Worthy of Survival....it's like a single suite of music. I have it on all the time.
                    agree 100%. I especially love the amazing bass line on SDIC
                    In S2 I also liked the pieces from the Peg/RS eps (Pegasus, Prelude to War) really epic.

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                    I'm also in the middle of rewatching Carnivale and trying to sort that soundtrack by episode as well. Yeah, I'm a colossal nerd. You get used to it.
                    I can relate to that. I get called a music geek so often it's not even funny

I've never seen Carnivale. Any good?

Comment

I've never seen Carnivale. Any good?
                      It's a terrific show....it only lasted two seasons (of a planned 6), and then died a rather unfortunate death. It was expensive as hell to produce (even by HBO's standards), viewership numbers were low, and then RDM left as one of the head creative honchos....to work on BSG.

The thing was, when they finished making the second season they didn't know if they were coming back for a third or not. So they wrapped up a ton of plot threads real fast, but left some bigass cliffhanger threads that have never been resolved.

Frustrating, to say the least. But terrific television nonetheless.

Comment

Oh no worries at all, I was just explaining myself better

The pieces from 'Exodus' are pretty terrific, I love putting all them on in a row. Admiral and Commander/Gentle Execution/Storming New Caprica/Refugees Return makes a great little auditory tour of those two episodes.

Actually, LDYB1&2 is probably my favourite episode of the series too.

First thing I do whenever the soundtracks are released is figure out what ep order they go in And because I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night, I'll go ahead and type them out for posterity's sake Spoiler tags for space:

Spoiler:
                        Season 1
                        01. Prologue
                        02. Re-Cap
                        03. Main Title US [stylistic choice, since I'm in Canada this is the theme I had for S1]
                        04. Helo Chase (from '33')
                        05. Helo Rescued (from '33')
                        06. The Olympic Carrier (from '33')
                        07. The Thousandth Landing (from 'Act of Contrition')
                        08. Two Funerals (from 'Act of Contrition')
                        09. The Card Game (from 'Act of Contrition')
                        10. Starbuck Takes On All Eight (from 'Act of Contrition')
                        11. Starbuck on the Red Moon (from 'You Can't Go Home Again')
                        12. Forgiven (from 'You Can't Go Home Again')
                        13. Helo in the Warehouse (from 'Litmus')
                        14. Two Boomers (from 'Six Degrees of Separation')
                        15. Baltar Speaks with Adama (from 'Six Degrees of Separation')
                        16. Baltar Panics (from 'Six Degrees of Separation')
                        17. Boomer Flees (from 'Flesh and Bone')
                        18. Flesh and Bone (from 'Flesh and Bone')
                        19. The Dinner Party (from 'Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down')
                        20. Battlestar Operatica (from 'Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down')
                        21. A Good Lighter (from 'The Hand of God')
                        22. Battle on the Asteroid (from 'The Hand of God')
                        23. Wander My Friends (from 'The Hand of God')
                        24. Battlestar Muzaktica (from 'Colonial Day')
                        25. Passacaglia (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 1')
                        26. Kobol's Last Gleaming (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Parts 1 & 2')
                        27. Destiny (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2')
                        28. The Shape of Things to Come (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2')
                        29. Bloodshed (from 'Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2')
                        30. Main Title UK

Season 2
                        01. Main Title
                        02. Baltar's Dream (from 'Valley of Darkness')
                        03. Metamorphosis Five (from 'Valley of Darkness') [note: Philip Glass piece, not included on BM's OST]
                        04. Martial Law (from 'Fragged')
                        05. Escape (from 'The Farm')
                        06. A Promise to Return (from 'The Farm')
                        07. Reuniting the Fleet (from 'Home, Parts 1 & 2')
                        08. Allegro (from 'Home, Part 2')
                        09. Colonial Anthem (from 'Final Cut')
                        10. Pegasus (from 'Pegasus')
                        11. Lords of Kobol (from 'Pegasus')
                        12. The Cylon Prisoner (from 'Pegasus')
                        13. Prelude to War (from 'Pegasus' and 'Resurrection Ship, Parts 1 & 2')
                        14. Roslin and Adama (from 'Resurrection Ship, Parts 1 & 2')
                        15. Gina Escapes (from 'Resurrection Ship, Part 2')
                        16. Epiphanies (from 'Epiphanies')
                        17. Standing in the Mud (from 'Black Market')
                        18. Black Market (from 'Black Market')
                        19. Scar (from 'Scar')
                        20. Something Dark is Coming (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Parts 1 & 2')
                        21. Roslin Confesses (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2')
                        22. Dark Unions (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2')
                        23. One Year Later (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2')
                        24. Worthy of Survival (from 'Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2')

Season 3
                        01. Main Title [note: not included on BM's OST]
                        02. A Distant Sadness (from 'Occupation')
                        03. Precipice (from 'Precipice')
                        04. Admiral and Commander (from 'Exodus, Parts 1 & 2')
                        05. Gentle Execution (from 'Exodus, Part 2')
                        06. Storming New Caprica (from 'Exodus, Part 2')
                        07. Refugees Return (from 'Exodus, Part 2')
                        08. Battlestar Sonatica (from 'Torn')
                        09. Wayward Soldier (from 'Hero')
                        10. Fight Night (from 'Unfinished Business')
                        11. The Dance (from 'Unfinished Business')
                        12. Violence and Variations (from 'Unfinished Business')
                        13. Adama Falls (from 'Unfinished Business')
                        14. Kat's Sacrifice (from 'The Passage')
                        15. The Temple of Five (from 'The Eye of Jupiter')
                        16. Someone To Trust (from 'Taking A Break From All Your Worries')
                        17. Dirty Hands (from 'Dirty Hands')
                        18. Under the Wing (from 'Maelstrom')
                        19. Mandala in the Clouds (from 'Maelstrom')
                        20. Deathbed and Maelstrom (from 'Maelstrom')
                        21. Heeding the Call (from 'Crossroads, Part 2')
                        22. All Along the Watchtower (from 'Crossroads, Part 2')

*copies list* I'm trying to edit out that piece of music from the beginning of the ep to loop it and make it a little longer. We're all colossal nerds around here, *sigh* I'm from the family that argued what Adama used for a toilet during the reunion scene. I don't think anyone heard Roslin's "I love you" because my parents were discussing whether a raptor toilet flushes out into space or not.
                        Agreed. I mean, having watched the related episodes I know exactly what it's about, but that title coupled with the buildup makes the whole such a "destiny" piece

Yes indeedy....nearer the beginning of the season it felt like a lot of music was being recycled, but as this year's gone by the musical evolution has been a joy to listen to. I noticed how great it sounded in 'The Hub' too
                        Destiny piece is a good way of describing it. Speaking of a year gone by, I absolutely love the little piece "A Year Later" from season two. Only a minute and a half, but gorgeous.
                        It's a terrific show....it only lasted two seasons (of a planned 6), and then died a rather unfortunate death. It was expensive as hell to produce (even by HBO's standards), viewership numbers were low, and then RDM left as one of the head creative honchos....to work on BSG.

The thing was, when they finished making the second season they didn't know if they were coming back for a third or not. So they wrapped up a ton of plot threads real fast, but left some bigass cliffhanger threads that have never been resolved.

Frustrating, to say the least. But terrific television nonetheless.
                        Carnivale is utterly brilliant. And even though it ended on a cliffhanger, I did like the ending. Kezia it's definitely worth checking out, the DVD sets seem to be going for a pretty reasonable price at the moment (by HBO series price standards), I saw them at Costco (in Canada, not sure where you are) for $25 apiece last week.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          That was great! And the battle scene totally reminded me of when they blew up the resurrection ship way back in S2... it had the same epic vibe to it
                          I also loved the slowed-down R&A. I always get chills whenever I hear a great theme being reprised

agree 100%. I especially love the amazing bass line on SDIC
                          In S2 I also liked the pieces from the Peg/RS eps (Pegasus, Prelude to War) really epic.
                          That baseline in Something Dark is Coming is amazing- I think that's my favourite piece in the series, though I'm not positive on that. I love the whole way it integrates into the teaser of that ep setting up all the stories, if I'm watching another ep sometime and I have the DVD handy I put that opening sequence in just because with the music it is an absolutely stunning sequence. I'm working on a vid for that song, though it won't be the whole eight minutes.

Comment

I love the soundtracks too, but I couldn't begin to pick out a favorite piece of music. I loved hearing the Theme of Roslin and Adama again towards the end of The Hub.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen1 View Post
                              I don't know if this has ever been posted here but I know the version that is in the closing moments of Crossroads II has been posted but I dont recall ever seeing the full version.

All Along the Watch Tower - Cross Roads I and II, in it's entirity but with out the quotes from the show( in my opinion add's to the depth of the song or is it vice versa? hehe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUchAD44xA8

TheChosen1
                              err, thats the track from the soundtrack... it's been out for ages

Comment

Working...
                              X