No announcement yet.

Starship design challenge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I highly doubt whether this is possible, and its very fanwank but........

A beam/bomb that when it hits a certain atom it splits it in half.. Basically it hits the poor enemys shield and causes an atom to split. Making the shield into a nuclear bomb. However it would have to be heavily programmed to only react with the type of atom you aiming it at, it would also require a massive amount of power.

Just came straight of the top of my head.
    Perhaps Puff

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      I know what plasma is, just wasn't sure how you wanted to "armorize" it. And does it mean the craft will be unprotected while in space?

Yes. Although I am not sure how antimatter would interact with force fields/ energy shields should there be any in the story. It would probably need to be able to "space-burst" should it happen to be stopped by a shield before it reaches a piece of matter it can react with.

Uh, that's a difficult one.

The patrol dreadnoughts are relics of a past so distant that nobody really knows who built them and what their physiology was like, or if they had bodies at all. That they were border control vessels of an empire is mainly a conjecture based on their pattern of travel. Nothing is really known about them except that it's really unwise to stand in their way.

The users of the other two vessels are human-like, broadly speaking.
      Alright, again you get to name it:

Spoiler:
      Smallish, monitor class craft divided into two sections:

The back half is a antimater clatalysed project deadalus(see wiki) subligt engine. Gnerating massibve amounts of thrust. Inercial dampeners menas that they can change cource dramaticaly and sudenly, evading weapons fire.
      An inercialess manuverign grid is used for turnign the ship and station keeping.

THe crew is housed in the forward section, along with most of the wepons. A very small armored compartment at the heart of the ship is habitable, no windows-anywhere. Its' armed with two forward firing, spinal Dischage Canons. That turn the energy from the main reactor into a directd energy beam. Four tureted interceptor guns are placed equilateraly around the ship; small caliber antimater bolters, designed to intercept ncoming ordinance and shoot it down, whereter it's projectiles or bolts.
      These are also capable of firing in the beam mode, shooting long streams of antimater when the shields of an enemy vesel have been downed.
      IN adition it has two missiel lauchers,, one aft and ne forward, with a communal magezine of twenty relativistic torpedoes (guided inercialess impactors).

Against beams these ships use a gravitational stress fields over the normal shields, that tear a plasma bolt to apart as it hits it. And these do not stop functioning like regular shields, continuing to disperse wepons fire after the usual shields have failed. The armor is a composite multylayed afair strung over an elastic(bend rather than break) frame designed to protect against almost any wepon, but is relatively light due to the use of gravity stress fields(above). MEnaing teh ship can still maeuver very well.

Their powered by naquadah generators, spread out throught the ship in special compartments designed to deflect any eplosion outward to minimise damage from overload.

Comment

From the sounds of it the Dreadnaughts were built by another race I assume you want different weapons and technology to the main races veiwpoint? so here are my ideas for advanced weapons, defence systems and auxilary ships.

Projected Phase Device (PPD): This weapon instead of phasing the ship that its onboard as most would expect it to do, it projects the phasing effect into the direction of a desired enemy ship, Phasing it and anything leaving it intill the dreadnuaght decides to release it. This opens up several tactics.
        1. The enemy can't hit you intill you decide to let them.
        2. A small auxilary craft drops a bomb at its location and the capital ship rephases it and kaboom.
        3. Buys the main ship the time to come up with a defense and retreat.
        4. Can phase only a section of the ship so the ship breaks in half due to 1 part being phased and 1 caporial and unable to interact.

Imploding shield device (ISD): This device tunes into the enemies shields from the outside and instead of deactivating, remodulating, dispersing it shrinks the shield in on the hostile ships hull and with the pressure of the shields crushes the enemies hull. The uses are as follows:
        1. Enemy realises thats its being used and is forced to lower shields to stop it from happening and forcing it to rely on armour protection.
        2. Even the srtongest shields have to capitulate at a certain point handing a new advantage and requiring a new tactic to counter it.
        3. Ussually countered by enemy ships with 2 shields putting the weaker shield ontop so the weaker shield goes against the stronger

Gravity drone: This is a small missle/drone fired from the ship that pulls all matter (Weapons munitions) into the drone making them less accurate. This will be adiquete defence when dealing with projectile based weapons.

Force landing craft: This vessel has 2 detachable sections. The first being the carrier craft this ship is the engines and weapons of the ship it lands on the surface drops off the troop module and can quickly shift to a fighter/bomber aircraft. The second is the ground assault module equiped with a small shield emmiter, When this module is combined with the carrier ship it provides a shield but the carrier losses its shield ability when detached from the troop module.

Anti-shield/capital ship salvo fired acceleration guns: These are incredibly short range anti capital guns that require the ship housing them to get side on with the oposing ship. They are basically and advanced version of former cannon colonial time ships but use there firepower for sheild draining and anti armour duties.

Projected jump engine: This weapon is a peaceful way of making a ship retreat and can be used on allied, neutral or enemy ships to get them out of the battle. It projects a temporary jump portal at the ship forcing the ship into it. The hyperspace window is then controlled by the dreadnaught and can send the ship to any location in the galaxy wether it be a freindly base or a suns core. (This doesn't work on ships with larger engines or ships with there own individual hyperspace generator as they have the systems to control there velocity and destination).

Manuevored armour/shield: Basically all this is, is an armoured plate or shield generator with an engine designed to park inbetween the desired ships and create a defencive screen or to clog enemy guns or block hanger bays.

Launchable drone: A human sized 4 legged drone capable of shield phasing or plantery decent with its advanced AI it can operate inside an enemy ship or planet solo and take out targets of opportunity.

I got more but im tired and they get pretty far fetched after that hope you like them I might post some more in a few days for you. If you want to hear some more radical systems PM me and il send em to you.
        if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

My suggestion for the dreadnaught would be something like a replicator ship, only composed of nanites. The whole ship wouldn't be nanites, mostly just the outer armor of the ship. That way damage would be pretty easy to repair, or at least contain. The ship could also use the nanites as weapons, either firing "nanite missiles", or coming into contact with a ship, and basically eating it, like an amoeba. For planetary attack, you could use "grey goo" bombs, or the ship could manufacture diseases specifically tailored for a planets populace. The threat of utter destruction should be enough to make any planet surrender. The whole thing would be under the control of an advanced A.I., so no need for a crew, and the ship can stay out indefinitely.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

so i got a few extra ideas:
            Note: particle cannons dont drain shields but create a heat buildup behind them depending on the damage it can do, and thus can quickly defeat ships.
            The Gargantuan version is more powerful than the solar flare in " echoes"

Dreadnought. a unknown alien species once created it to defend the milky way from any threat. because of this, it is armed with massive payloads and can resupply at will.

Size: 2600m long

PowerPlant:
            2x Ion Powercell
            1x Antimatter reactor
            4x Naquahdah ion Reactor
            Nano Hull.
            Photosynthesis reactor

Propulsion:
            Inertialless drive-linked-Particle Accelerator Drive.

FTL:
            dimensional Drive. jumps to annother dimension, then re-enters our dimension at the required location. near instantanious travel.
            Dimensional Stabilisers. stabilises the Dimensional travel, and creates the power buildup for the jump.

Protection:
            48 localized Repulsor Nodes. linked to a supercomputer, they generate the Repulsor fields for protection.
            Superconductive Nano Reactive Light Absorbant Hull. a nano hull absorbs light and energy to power the ship.
            Warp Ring: Warps Radiation around the ship mostly hiding it from sensors

Offensive:

2x Large Mass Driver [.9999c] 800GT each. Each directly linked to Ion Powercell
            80x Heavy Particle cannon. 1Kt/s each.
            4x Gargantuan Particle Cannon. 200GT each. Each Directly linked to NIR
            100x Point Defence Cutting Laser.
            10 Offensive Repulsor Drone Launch Facility [each 200 drones]. fires repulsor drones.
            10x Offensive Particle Drone Launch Facility [each 200 drones]. fires Particle drones.
            Repulsor Drones:
            a small Repulsion Node linked to a computer and a powersource and fitted with an Inertialless drive. has a repulsion field acting like the main vessels' field. in swarms the power is enough to divert a Wraith Hive's attacks. can also be used to redirect an attack at annother vessel.
            Particle drones:
            Powercore with computer, a hull, a small repulsion field and six Particle beams.

Crew: Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
              Why not channel the energy directly inside a secondary generator. It would be linked directly to the main weapon(s) and to the defense systems. His role would then be to relieve somewhat the primary power source of your ship.
              Why not
              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
              A Face you Can Trust
              sigpic
              So whats the worst that could happen?
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

So what ideas did you end up using Wombale and have you finished your work yet?
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                  So what ideas did you end up using Wombale and have you finished your work yet?
                  Well, I did what I always do- used the ideas I was given as a basis to jump-start my own thinking. thekillman was kind enough to make some nice graphics for me, too (wish I could green PMs.

As for the story, it's still very much a work in progress, but since you're asking, check your PMs in a minute

P.S. You've exceeded your PM quota (with the help of myself and the 2000 characters limit), so let me know when I can send you the rest of the scene.
                  Last edited by Womble; 01 July 2008, 06:51 AM.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Ready to get the rest of it
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic

Comment

Done.
                      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

You could always post the ideas you did use and your story in this thread.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          You could always post the ideas you did use and your story in this thread.
                          I suspect the mods would intervene. Besides, the story is far from finished.

Comment

I suspect the mods would intervene. Besides, the story is far from finished.
                            Stick in in the Fan Fic section.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                              Stick in in the Fan Fic section.
                              As a work in progress?

Comment

As a work in progress?
                                Yeah.

Comment

Working...
                                X