Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Hi everyone. For the first time ever, that's right, EVER, I am watching SG1 on DVD. I've never seen the series on television apart from the Kurt Russel film back in the mid 1990's which I saw at the pictures and enjoyed. Since then i've devoted my time to Doctor Who and Star Trek. But, i've become curious and want to cross through the gate. This thread will be dedicated to my entire journey through SG1. I will try and restrain myself by watching 1 ep per week. So far, i've seen three.

Here we go:

1.1/1.2: Children of the Gods (2 part pilot)

It was interesting to see that they actually continued the story some time after the movie was set rather than re-writing the movie as the pilot. This generally worked quite well, though I felt some times there were too many references to the film, more than was necessary for existing fans to establish the link. I think for a casual viewer, this may have been a little esoteric and vague. But it was generally handled quite well.

All round, performances were quite good. Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks worked off one another quite convincingly as former collaborators. Amanda Tapping did a good job of breaking up the masculine dominance of the military without being *****y or whiny. Instead, she undermined them with her professional background and wit.

The CGI still looks quite good. When compared to an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine or Voyager, SG1's CGI looks more realistic and less "plasticated" when combined with real filmography.

Overall, an enjoyable first episode which would have no doubt been difficult to write and piece together.

4 out of 5.

1.3: The Enemy Within

This episodes follows from the events of Children of Gods where it was revealled at the end of the mission, Kawalsky was infected with a Goa'uld. Kowalsky is a very likeable character and I felt a lot of empathy for him while in his condition. While the story at times was predictable, I was genuinly surprised when the Goa'uld seemed to be removed. There was much to like and dislike about this.

I liked the idea of the Goa'uld being defeatable and I also liked them being more of a menace than they originally presented themselves to be. The episode leaves SG1 with an impression that they still have much to learn about their adversaries and no matter how talented they are in their roles, they are all defeatable. As a negative, I was disappointed to see Kowalsky killed off this early in the peace. It seemed like a waste of such a good character that was set up in the pilot episode. However, I suppose that this does represent the Goa'uld as a new threat to Earth which weren't to be taken lightly.

Finally, I also felt that Kowalsky's death was sudden and moved on a little quite. Although Jack states "my friend died on the operating table", they just seemed very quick to move onto the next thing. WHile I wouldn't want them to dwell on it, I think this would have been a great opportunity for character development in terms of their attitudes toward the Goa'uld.

Overall, a great episode.

4 out of 5.

1.4: Emancipation

This is where the series takes a break from the Earth/Goa'uld situation and focuses more on the exploration side of things. This episode deals with the concept of interfering with the development of other cultures and the role of gender in society.

The SG1 team arrive in a Mongolian type world where women are seen as second rate and do not share the same privilleges as men. They are either slaves or commodities for trade. Upon their arrival, Samantha Carter is given first hand experience of what this is like. The story follows her capture and journey through this system to which she eventually challenges it in the hope of bringing change.

The episode carries a very promising concept. Does the team sacrafice the life of 1 to save many or do they intent to bring a change to the development of a culture that they have never met? This is certainly a big question. Though the decision was reached at a little suddenly, it did allow Samantha Carter's character to blossom somewhat and show her less professional side and instead accentuate her compassionate, feminine edge.

The episode was also well written and directed. There was just the right amount of action and dialogue. Though more debate about the role of the SG1 team in the situation would have been welcome rather than the "no, we really can't do this", "no, we really should" type of approach. However, in the 45 minutes that they had to tell this story in, it satisfies quite well and shows that there is more to the series than simply Human v Goa'uld.

4 out of 5

(Terribly consistent so far, isn't it? )

1.5: The Broca Divide.

This episode delves into the less political and philosophical side of the show and instead looks toward the more sci-fi elements of SG1. This episode concerns a disease which is brought back to Earth as a result of interactions with a species of people who bare similar characteristics to that of human primates. The diease takes control of the members of the Stargate facility and the cure needs to be found in a race against time.

This was a great idea for an episode. While this idea has kind of been covered in other sci-fi such as Star Trek, it was good to see the issue resolved by an outsider, Teal'C rather than the best and brightest of the crew. I felt that sometimes in the beginning the violent scenes depicting the spread of the disease were a little gratuitous. To me, the scene where the two officers fight and fall through the window into the Gateroom worked quite well, the other two acts following this became a little tiresome. The kissing scene between Samantha and Jack also felt a little forced.

However, the cause of the disease and its cure was well handled. I also like the way in which it is portrayed as a stigma amongst its people, that seemed to provide some echo to attitudes in contemporary society where in some cases there is a tendency to simply case the ill aside.

But, for the flaws earlier mentioned, it didn't stand in the way of this being a really good episode. I honestly couldn't fault it, even though at first some events did seem a little repetitive.

5 out of 5.

Comment

1.6: The First Commandment.

This episode penetrates the darker part of the human psyche by tapping into issues such as religion, supremacy, leadership, misplaced faith and slavery. The story is reminiscent of Francis Ford Copola's Apocalypse Now or Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness where a leader from another SG team has been absolutely corrupted by power and self-perceived omnipotence. This episode is clearly the darkest of Season 1 so far.

The story takes no time to introduce, rather, the audience is thrust straight into the horror of this reality followed by the visit of the SG1 team. This episode is very tightly written and well performed. The story flows nicely without being bogged down in explanation or cliche.

Very little to say about this episode. Perfect!

5 out of 5.

Comment

1.8: Cold Lazarus.

Excuse the pun, but this episode left me...well, a little cold. Compared to previous episodes such as The First Commandment, the story didn't seem compelling. I was also disappointed with the quick-fix resolution, not to mention the cringe-worthy moment where O'Neill takes the clone of his son to meet his Mother, only to explain to her that he is in fact not their son. That scene felt pointless and anti-climatic. However, I do have to praise this episode on further character development of O'Neill and getting a feel for his home life.

Overall, disappointingly uninspiring.

2.5 out of 5

Comment

You need to start a Blog or something. I mean this is a forum AKA "a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged". However a Blog is "a Web site on which an individual or group of users produces an ongoing narrative". Which one sounds like what you are doing?

I don't mean to sound rude I am just offering a suggestion.
          sigpic

Comment

On the contrary, i think it's a great idea and one that provides a fresh perspective on the episodes. It has a place in the forum on two counts ; firstly by giving us a chance to comment on the comments, thus generating discussion about the episodes in a single thread. Secondly, here the poster's thoughts will be shared with a larger audience of people who are quite taken with the show.

In fact, i'm thinking of starting up a similar thread containing my observations as a friend and i are re-watching the shows. My comments would be focused on picking up continuity details relevant to the overall storyline and universe, so don't worry Whistling, i'm not going to step on your toes too much

Of course, if a moderator has a problem with the format, then that's another story.

Back on topic, that's an interesting take on CotG ; i've found the many references to the film firmly fixed the episode in the universe and gave it a sequel feel. But you may be right, the casual viewer would probably get a little lost, which isn't the sort of feeling a pilot episode should be creating.

Comment

Originally posted by YodaMate View Post
              On the contrary, i think it's a great idea and one that provides a fresh perspective on the episodes. It has a place in the forum on two counts ; firstly by giving us a chance to comment on the comments, thus generating discussion about the episodes in a single thread. Secondly, here the poster's thoughts will be shared with a larger audience of people who are quite taken with the show.

In fact, i'm thinking of starting up a similar thread containing my observations as a friend and i are re-watching the shows. My comments would be focused on picking up continuity details relevant to the overall storyline and universe, so don't worry Whistling, i'm not going to step on your toes too much

Of course, if a moderator has a problem with the format, then that's another story.

Back on topic, that's an interesting take on CotG ; i've found the many references to the film firmly fixed the episode in the universe and gave it a sequel feel. But you may be right, the casual viewer would probably get a little lost, which isn't the sort of feeling a pilot episode should be creating.
              I've been doing this. I'm done with SG-1 and the first 2 season of SGA.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=51079

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by DuncTK421 View Post
                I've been doing this. I'm done with SG-1 and the first 2 season of SGA.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=51079
                Actually, based on this "watch it from the beginning" theme that DuncTK421 has been touting, I dropped the greenbacks and got myself the sg1 complete (that's a boat-load of DVDs) series.

I watched the movie a few weeks ago. I hadn't watched it in years even though I own a copy. So.... TryWhistlingThis, I'm with you. I just need to get caught up. If you're doing one-per week, I should catch up shortly (hopefully).

The only thing I vaguely remember about Children of the Gods is a kleenex box and some nudity...

Comment

I hate to nag, but why don't you simply post in the individual episode threads?
                  sigpic

Comment

It's easier to collate discussion and thoughts in a single location, particularly if there's going to be comparison to other episodes. As far as i can tell nobody minded when Dunc's thread got up to 103 pages, instead there was only praise (nice effort by the way Dunc ! If i get that far i will be rather envious )

Comment

Originally posted by YodaMate View Post
                      It's easier to collate discussion and thoughts in a single location, particularly if there's going to be comparison to other episodes. As far as i can tell nobody minded when Dunc's thread got up to 103 pages, instead there was only praise (nice effort by the way Dunc ! If i get that far i will be rather envious )
                      Thank you. I made sure the mods were ok with it before I began, and it's really become very enjoyable for me. I'm going to be sad when it's over.

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Don't worry, you've still got a whole season of Atlantis to go and once you've done that a good half of Season 5 will be available. Then you can feel the pain of the inevitable cliffhanger with the rest of us

I'm sure someone will have mentioned it by now, but for continuity purposes it's best to watch Ark of Truth before SGA 3.20 (you can get as far as 3.19 if you please) but hold off on Continuum until after you are done with Season 4.

Comment

I have thoroughly enjoyed DuncTk421's thread and listening to his views as he goes through the two series, so i don't have a problem with these type of threads.

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                            1.1/1.2: Children of the Gods (2 part pilot)

It was interesting to see that they actually continued the story some time after the movie was set rather than re-writing the movie as the pilot. This generally worked quite well, though I felt some times there were too many references to the film, more than was necessary for existing fans to establish the link. I think for a casual viewer, this may have been a little esoteric and vague. But it was generally handled quite well.

All round, performances were quite good. Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks worked off one another quite convincingly as former collaborators. Amanda Tapping did a good job of breaking up the masculine dominance of the military without being *****y or whiny. Instead, she undermined them with her professional background and wit.

The CGI still looks quite good. When compared to an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine or Voyager, SG1's CGI looks more realistic and less "plasticated" when combined with real filmography.

Overall, an enjoyable first episode which would have no doubt been difficult to write and piece together.

4 out of 5.
                            I'm starting in and attempting to catch up with you. I just watched Children of the Gods this morning as it was raining out and not a good day to do outside things anyway.

I agree with you about the special effects, they were nicely done. Especially that ship that dropped Apophis and party off at the gate on Chulak. Very seemless - to my untrained eye, at least.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you about Sam and her initial scene in the briefing room. It made me cringe! Maybe I'm pulling in the rest of the entire series into that room with me, but she seemed too eager to prove her mettle with the menfolk. Just an opinion.

Here's another plug for one of Gateworld's social groups that I just started to go along with this. SG-1 Re-Watch Come join in!
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/group.php?groupid=127

Comment

Looking back that scene does make me cringe, but breaking it down, i think it shows how sexism was the elephant in the room both in-universe and out-of-universe.

Carter was designed as a female character who can literally do everything and thus there were risks attached that it could be perceived that her brilliance was given to her because she was a woman (it being politically incorrect to make the female character flawed)

I think this scene was designed to give her character a little vulnerability by making her a bit touchy on the subject. Even though the guys don't bring the subject up directly both she (and the audience) assume that they are at the very least thinking it and thus the subject is already present or will come up. Of course, the whole thing comes off a bit ham-fisted because it wasn't executed very well.

If the above two paragraphs make any sense to you, i will applaud your reasoning skills, since they don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Transition from mind to page... bad !

Comment

Working...
                              X