Mixed feelings about AoT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed feelings about AoT

I wasn't sure what to make of this. It tried to be more then just a double length episode, and had bit more of a budget then a double ep I would think, but at the same time it didn't feel cinematic in quality. I think I was hoping for something a bit more epic and for something to blow me away.

On the otherhand compared to a lot of films made for the Sci Fi channel, it was quite good.

My main gripe I would say is the replicator arc felt forced, like they felt the story of the Ori wasn't enough to sustain the film. And I thought the ending was nowhere near as good as the ending of the last official episode of SG1. The ending here felt a bit glib. "Here we go to save the universe again, yay!"

I love the Stargates and maybe I hyped this up in my mind too much. I think it needed a bigger budget to give it that cinematic quality it deserves. I think it may have also needed a movie screenwriter to work with the show writers from the show, again so it had a more cinematic quality. And again it needed a movie director. Some TV show writers and directors just don't transition that well into making movies, and I think AoT showed that.

As it stands I'm in no rush to watch this again, I've been focusing more on Atlantis at the mo.
    >>>Hello, I'm new! Here's my introduction post:<<<

Waste of a thread.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=52422

Comment

>>>Hello, I'm new! Here's my introduction post:<<<

Comment

I agree that the movie didn't feel that cinematic. I got a double-episode vibe from it, definitely. But I, personally, loved the replicator storyline. It might be because I haven't seen all the past eps, so I missed a lot of the replicator stuff from other seasons. So, to me, the replicators were really cool. Plus, I think the action and humor from that part of the movie was a nice break from the more slow and cerebral Ori storyline, which I never enjoyed that much during Seasons 9 and 10.

BTW, sorry your post got such a sour response for its first response!

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
          BTW, sorry your post got such a sour response for its first response!
          Well if the thread starter had bothered to use the search feature, he/she would find out their are many thread like this one.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Well if the thread starter had bothered to use the search feature, he/she would find out their are many thread like this one.
            I know this forum is the wrong place to say something like this (since it should say on the registration: expect to ripped to shreds by other posters if you have an opinion), but that doesn't give them the right to be rude to someone sharing their views of the movie.
            My guilty pleasures.

Now...What Am I Offered For All Of The Powers In The Universe?
            A giant swirling headstone, marking the spot where we all used to live and play and slaughter the innocent.

New Vids: Superstar & Chosen Path

Comment

The opinions being expressed have nothing to do with it, it's just annoying that people feel the need to create a brand new thread just for their opinion when there's a perfectly good general discussion thread for everyone. It's like they need the extra attention or something.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                The opinions being expressed have nothing to do with it, it's just annoying that people feel the need to create a brand new thread just for their opinion when there's a perfectly good general discussion thread for everyone. It's like they need the extra attention or something.
                *snerk* You're saying this here? You do realize that anyone posting anything anywhere on here is only doing it for attention. We'd just be talking to the walls otherwise.
                My guilty pleasures.

A giant swirling headstone, marking the spot where we all used to live and play and slaughter the innocent.

Comment

I don't think they are...

Comment

I don't think they are...
                    Take away the message boards and who's going to listen to strangers rant, rave and freak out over a tv show? We joined this board to be heard about a subject we enjoy. That's needing attention no matter how you play it.

Anyway... my point is whether the post is a 'waste' or not. It does no one any good if you're an asshat (unless you just get off on it). Direct the person to the right thread without being a jerk, how is that so hard?
                    My guilty pleasures.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ Gould View Post
                      I wasn't sure what to make of this. It tried to be more then just a double length episode, and had bit more of a budget then a double ep I would think, but at the same time it didn't feel cinematic in quality. I think I was hoping for something a bit more epic and for something to blow me away.

On the otherhand compared to a lot of films made for the Sci Fi channel, it was quite good.

My main gripe I would say is the replicator arc felt forced, like they felt the story of the Ori wasn't enough to sustain the film. And I thought the ending was nowhere near as good as the ending of the last official episode of SG1. The ending here felt a bit glib. "Here we go to save the universe again, yay!"

I love the Stargates and maybe I hyped this up in my mind too much. I think it needed a bigger budget to give it that cinematic quality it deserves. I think it may have also needed a movie screenwriter to work with the show writers from the show, again so it had a more cinematic quality. And again it needed a movie director. Some TV show writers and directors just don't transition that well into making movies, and I think AoT showed that.

As it stands I'm in no rush to watch this again, I've been focusing more on Atlantis at the mo.
                      Yeah, you about nailed it. Really, you did. I also went to a con recently, went to the AOT panel and people went 'meh' when asked about the movie. Alas, only two people showed up so we were both in agreement!

Comment

Originally posted by kazbaby View Post
                        Take away the message boards and who's going to listen to strangers rant, rave and freak out over a tv show? We joined this board to be heard about a subject we enjoy. That's needing attention no matter how you play it.
                        That's not what you said though is it, you said that people only post on here for attention. People post here for the sake of discussion, now attention is a prerequisite for that, but that doesn't mean people only come here for attention...

Anyway... my point is whether the post is a 'waste' or not.
                        No one said the post is a waste, just that the thread is.

It does no one any good if you're an asshat (unless you just get off on it). Direct the person to the right thread without being a jerk, how is that so hard?
                        I really couldn't care less whether what I said comes across as offensive or not, it was a fair point.

Comment

That's not what you said though is it, you said that people only post on here for attention. People post here for the sake of discussion, now attention is a prerequisite for that, but that doesn't mean people only come here for attention...

No one said the post is a waste, just that the thread is.
                          Please check the words you quoted. Nowhere in that do you see the phrase 'only post'. If you're going to argue semantics such as you did with my use of the word post and thread (which are interchangeable to me), please be completely accurate.

And if you would have paid attention you'd see I was stating that anyone who desires to discuss the elements of the Stargate universe and those that created it, need the attention of others who care about the same thing in order to do so (at the risk of being chastised by the members of this board instead of actually - you know... discussing it in a manner that is comfortable and enjoyable for all parties).

I really couldn't care less whether what I said comes across as offensive or not, it was a fair point.
                          Not really since it was even less constructive.
                          My guilty pleasures.

Comment

Originally posted by kazbaby View Post
                            Please check the words you quoted. Nowhere in that do you see the phrase 'only post'.
                            You said:

"You do realize that anyone posting anything anywhere on here is only doing it for attention."

Close enough.

If you're going to argue semantics such as you did with my use of the word post and thread (which are interchangeable to me), please be completely accurate.
                            Well they're not, they're two different things, that's hardly semantics. This is a post, within a thread.

And if you would have paid attention you'd see I was stating that anyone who desires to discuss the elements of the Stargate universe and those that created it, need the attention of others who care about the same thing in order to do so (at the risk of being chastised by the members of this board instead of actually - you know... discussing it in a manner that is comfortable and enjoyable for all parties).
                            No, that's what you're saying now. What you originally said was that anyone posting here is only doing it for attention.

Not really since it was even less constructive.
                            Than what?

Comment

Sorry Jenks I disagree. You were a bit rude.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X