Iris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iris

I have been wondering how the panels that make up the iris manage to fold over themselves when they reach the center in order to close completely and form a completely flat surface over the event horizon. Do they bend or are they shaped strangely or what?
    Last edited by songar87; 30 May 2008, 11:27 PM. Reason: clarification

Iris isn't a term unique to Stargate. Google Image: "iris aperture." The basic technology was first invented as aperture technology for cameras (I think; may have had previous uses). Part of the reason it's so strong is its overlapping of panels. Think about the classic bar trick (Atlantis "Trio) how you place three knives interlocked on top of 3 glasses to support a fourth glass. Same concept except the Iris uses many more panels.
    When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
    Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
      Iris isn't a term unique to Stargate. Google Image: "iris aperture." The basic technology was first invented as aperture technology for cameras (I think; may have had previous uses). Part of the reason it's so strong is its overlapping of panels. Think about the classic bar trick (Atlantis "Trio) how you place three knives interlocked on top of 3 glasses to support a fourth glass. Same concept except the Iris uses many more panels.
      And it's magic.
      Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Goauld magic.
        (sorry, couldn't resist)

Comment

Working...
        X