This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New forum features discussion/questions

Just so we don't bog down the "feature issues" thread or the "ask a mod/member" with too much feature-ridden chit-chat I figured I'd start a thread so folks can discuss all these nifty (or not so nifty) features and ask questions that may not necessarily require Darren's direct answer.

Personally I'm still trying to figure out what the difference between a Contact and a Friend is and why the two options exist at all. Why not simply subsume the contacts into friends? Why keep them separate? Especially since vBulletin doesn't keep them separate. There's only ONE list for Friends/Contacts and you gotta look close to see which is which. I already requested that Darren find a way to separate the two, but I doubt that's gonna be possible. So does anyone know if there's a FUNCTIONAL reason to have them separate? Granted, there are some people I'd like to keep tabs on without actually friending but I wouldn't be that upset to see the contacts option done away with entirely.

Anyone else?

As I long ago disabled E-mails and PMs from non-Contact members,and I know quite a few forum members do that too, to avoid spams and unwanted contact,I'd kind of like the option to Add Contact /Befriend X kept as it stands.

I second Shadow's idea of being able "Hide" one's Friends list.

One thing I'd like as an option (if it's possible), is a fill-in message box to explain one's reasons for friending to the member being sent the friendship request.

Then ..if their reasons seem fine and dandy,it would take away the issue of wondering why the request was sent ,and give better benefit of the doubt to the senders.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

You shouldn't have to explain your reasons for wanting to friend someone. You should do it- and they should KNOW you're doing it- because you're actual friends. But I agree. *sigh* It might be nice to see what reasons some of these... humans come up with to explain themselves.

Likewise it might be nice to have a similar feature explaining why you're rejecting a request.

Comment

I'd really like that - something that allows me to explain, even briefly, why I'm denying the friending. - Cuz I don't know you. cuz we disagree on everything. you get the drift.
        sigpic

Comment

How can I get my account to automatically deny these incoming friendship requests? I don't do social networking on the internet. Period. I originally came here for intelligent discussion about Stargate.

Frankly, this is really starting to get on my nerves, because I don't know any of the people that are inviting me to be their friend and even if I did, I'd deny it anyway.

This is bugging me enough that I'm considering deleting/asking for deletion of my account (I haven't yet investigated what would be involved here).
          Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

You can't disable the whole system ,but you can disable visitor messages altogether by going into "My Controls" and unchecking the boxes in your "Options" choices .
            You can disable PMs and e-mails from other members too .

So far there's no way to turn off the notifications from wannabee friends ,but you could put a message in your signature space saying something like "Non-participant in the GW Friending network" or something similar ?

Comment

Already did the signature part, though I was a mite more...direct.
              Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
                As I long ago disabled E-mails and PMs from non-Contact members,and I know quite a few forum members do that too, to avoid spams and unwanted contact,I'd kind of like the option to Add Contact /Befriend X kept as it stands.

I second Shadow's idea of being able "Hide" one's Friends list.

One thing I'd like as an option (if it's possible), is a fill-in message box to explain one's reasons for friending to the member being sent the friendship request.

Then ..if their reasons seem fine and dandy,it would take away the issue of wondering why the request was sent ,and give better benefit of the doubt to the senders.
                I like this idea. I am on the fence with this whole friend thing any how. There are those that I talk with regularly and I sort of get the friendship option there. But I am getting requests from folks I don't know. If I understood why they decided to ask then maybe I wouldn't fell so odd about it. I feel rude for just denying it out right but on the other hand I feel even stranger about accepting. So I have been ignoring it and just letting the request sit there. That doesn't seem right either.

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42 View Post
                  This is bugging me enough that I'm considering deleting/asking for deletion of my account (I haven't yet investigated what would be involved here).
                  I don't think Gateworld does account deletions, but if you never visit the forum again that's as good as being deleted and as long as you have all the appropriate boxes (un)checked in regards to notifications/PMs/etc then you shouldn't get any pesky emails.

Deletion seems a bit dramatic for something so minor, but I suppose if there are other issues involved this could be a last straw sort of thing.

And as for the, um, humans (hard to insult folks without getting modsnipped) who are a bit... overenthusiastic in their, uh, manic obsession with friending every single person on the forum... *shrug* It bothers the hell out of me, too, and I detest getting friend requests from total strangers (especially since I'm beginning to suspect someone has tried to friend me at least twice, now), but rejecting the request, posting something on your visitor messages and maybe PM'ing the person(s) should help. Beyond that it's just a matter of patience. Eventually (I hope) the novelty will wear off and those individuals will stop pestering everyone around them.

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a way to "subscribe" to a social group so that you would be alerted if people have posted there? I've joined a couple, but to the best of my knowledge I just have to go look at them to see if there is anything new. (Also, is there a quicker way to get to them than clicking on my controls and then the social groups button and then the group itself?)

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42 View Post
                      Already did the signature part, though I was a mite more...direct.
                      Direct is cool ,imo ,and saves hassle !
                      Originally posted by aboleyn24 View Post
                      I like this idea. I am on the fence with this whole friend thing any how. There are those that I talk with regularly and I sort of get the friendship option there. But I am getting requests from folks I don't know. If I understood why they decided to ask then maybe I wouldn't fell so odd about it. I feel rude for just denying it out right but on the other hand I feel even stranger about accepting. So I have been ignoring it and just letting the request sit there. That doesn't seem right either.
                      You could drop the requestors you don't recognise a visitor message or pm ..and if they don't give a good enough response to make you want to add them, then click "decline request."
                      Another good idea might be to check out their profiles quietly on invisible mode ,see how you like their posting style , see if you have interests or opinions in common ,and then decide whether to say yes or no..or just let the request stand and ignore it ,especially if you think contact may cause more problems ?

Originally posted by Callista View Post
                      Does anyone know if there is a way to "subscribe" to a social group so that you would be alerted if people have posted there? I've joined a couple, but to the best of my knowledge I just have to go look at them to see if there is anything new. (Also, is there a quicker way to get to them than clicking on my controls and then the social groups button and then the group itself?)
                      I was getting some system notifications last week to let me know there were new posts added to the group I joined ,but they seem to have stopped.

Fastest way to get to your subscribed groups is:

Click on your User name at the top right where you log in /out -bring up your profile-look down the right sidebar, where you'll see your groups listed -then click on each one to get to the latest posts.

ETA : Also if you click on "Quick Links " ,then use the drop down menu to go to social groups, your subbed ones are listed at the top of the page .
                      Slightly faster ,I think.

Also : TY Shadow for crossposting the ideas/suggestions from here over onto the main thread about the new features.Saves duplication and missed suggestions .
                      Last edited by Bagpuss; 04 June 2008, 03:19 PM. Reason: Adding stuff. :)

Comment

The only grumble I would have (In reference to Shadows points) is that what happens with sites like Facebook and myspace happen here. I'm not too pleased when random people I don't know add me on those sites and never speak to me - and the bands who give me requests who I've never heard of - it's irritating.

With the Gateworld system I have made sure that the people I have added are people i talk to on a regular basis or have had valuable discussions with in the past. I think now that - unless someone new joins and we talk and have a lot of good in depth discussion - I have added or accepted requests from everyone who I would consider worth adding etc.

Not fussed with large numbers of 'friends' - What would I actually gain from it? I don't see the point
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:
                        President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                        President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                        Forum Charmer
                        Forum Ambassador
                        Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                        VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                        VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

I think the problem is that more and more everything on the internet is skewing to a younger and younger audience. Right now all the myspace/facebook stuff is geared for, what, the 12-14 mentality? Anyone more mature than that can still get good use out of it, of course (we oldtimers are nothing if not resourceful), but I still get the feeling that most of the bells and whistles will be worked to exhaustion (and IMO abused) by kids. *shrug* Such is life. Although I do find it worrying when people over the age of 14 get all obsessive with how many friends they have and who has the coolest layout and w00t on the various other gewgaws. I see it as another downward trend in the mentality/intelligence of Western culture (and possibly Eastern, too, for all I know). Just when you think people can't get any more superficial, they do.

Comment

I don't see the problem with "random friending". I mean, as far as I know, these "friends"'s only difference from other posters is that they have a plus beside their names and they sometimes appear in your profile under "Friends". It's not like, by having them as friends, they get access to any special part of your...fandom life?

If they want me as a friend, then I let them. It's not like it harms me in any shape or form.

Comment

I think friends also have access to any "friends only" albums you may have, but it's more the principle of the thing that annoys me. Does it cost me anything to friend strangers? No. But why the heck should I? Sorry, but while some people may have very loose definitions I still consider a friend to be just that: A FRIEND. My friends actually mean something to me beyond being just a number or a name. I care about them, I interact with them, and while people are obviously going to have disparate views on the subject it doesn't mean I have to like it or approve of what they're doing. Folks are still free to friend anything that moves on this forum regardless of how I feel about it, but if I think something is... hebetudinous I'm gonna say so, and that's basically what I'm saying now.

Comment

Working...
                              X