This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
    Hope I'm wrong, but this has 'Dresden Files' written all over it. IMHO its onyl chance is AT both as an actress and EP. I wonder how good the ratings must be for a renewal and how much influence Sci-fi is gonna have in the whole project

It obviously will have to do better than Painkiller Jane, Flash Gordon, and Dresden Files (DF started out okay and then slid in the ratings over time). Maybe it will need to be similar in ratings to SGA and BSG. PKJ and FG did not even make the top ten very often for Scifi.

The pros are that Sanctuary does already have a fanbase, and is poised to increase that fanbase as a result of being on TV. As well, as you say AT is starring in it, and I also think Martin Wood will contribute a lot, let alone Damian Kindler and Sam Egan. I think that MW is a fantastic director and if anyone can direct this type of show, it is him. The other actors seem also good and excited.

The biggest con is that it will premiere in October. Scifi shows do not do very well in general in October. PKJ, FG, DF all did not do well, and then look at SGA. For the first time ever SGA premiered in the Fall and its live ratings were lower. Then in the second half of SGA airing this winter, it did much better in live ratings -- better ratings overall in terms of viewers than in season 3. BSG also struggled when it aired in the Fall, and then they moved it to Sunday (can't remember when that was though), and it continued to have lower live ratings.

Scifi's involvement could be a pro, a con, or a pro/con! It depends. Sanctuary as a TV show probably needs to be somewhat different than as an internet show. It has to be adapted for TV, and that is what they are doing. It seems, so far, that AT and DK seem fine with the suggested changes, so that is good. (I'm also glad that AT dyed her hair instead of wearing a wig -- she looks much better, as seen in a short clip posted in the Sanctuary thread). We'll just have to see. Scifi has been able to produce some very good shows such as BSG, Eureka, Tin Man, as well as say seasons 6-8 SG-1. So there is some hope.

One big reason that I look forward to this show is because the lead is a female (and of course I like AT!). We have some scifi shows with female leads, but not many. And I like the premise so far. I am grateful that AT played Sam, because she was also a major and central character in SG-1, and happened to be female, but I'm looking forward to seeing her as Helen in the lead.
    Last edited by chocdoc; 27 May 2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I'm looking forward to Sanctuary. I didn't watch the web episodes, but I am willing to give it a change this fall because AT is in it.

I don't watch much TV aside from Doctor Who and Torchwood anymore, so a new show would be nice.
      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I had been wondering if the Sci-Fi Channel version of Sanctuary would be completely new, or a remake of the web series. I'm glad to see this article. Thanks for posting it. It'll be 98 per cent new. Kewl.

I think having the show make its debut in October is a good idea, since this seems to be more of a horror themed series (I've never seen the web series, so I don't know for sure).

Looking forward to seeing Sanctuary in a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          ‘Sanctuary’ Will Be Brand New

The SCI FI Channel original series Sanctuary will be brand new when it makes the leap from the Internet to cable television this fall, creator and executive producer Damian Kindler told SciFi Stream. The series, which stars Stargate’s Amanda Tapping as the 157-year-old scientist and monster hunter Helen Magnus, premiered in 2007 as a the first broadcast-quality original series made specifically for the Internet.

Read the full article now at SciFi Stream!

Our full interview with Damian will be along in a few days.
          Thank you Darren for posting this, can't wait for the full interview.

Julia(samcarterrules)
          sigpic
          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Thanks for the info Darren!

Comment

I really cant wait for this. I havent seen the webisodes so this will be all new for me.

Comment

Working...
              X