Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jack O'Neill... one or two star general???

I've just been watching 'The Shroud' where Daniel is captured by SG1 and held in the Odyssey. I noticed that Jack's uniform while at the SGC has two star on it, but then when he is questioning Daniel on the ship he has one star only on the collar. So which is it???

Default Re: O'Neill... one or two star general???

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    I've just been watching 'The Shroud' where Daniel is captured by SG1 and held in the Odyssey. I noticed that Jack's uniform while at the SGC has two star on it, but then when he is questioning Daniel on the ship he has one star only on the collar. So which is it???
    it's never really said. since he was essentially promoted to head of homeworld security I'm inclined to believe he's a two star.........but that would mean he would have been given a promotion in just a year so it's hard to say.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Thats always bugged me. O'Neill being a one star for only a year doesn't make sense to me. You have to wait longer to get promotoed.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Thats always bugged me. O'Neill being a one star for only a year doesn't make sense to me. You have to wait longer to get promotoed.
    Actually, most of the time at that level it is promotion when a slot opens up. Beyond Hammond, Jack was the only one qualified to fill that slot.

I don't see why he wouldn't get promoted quickly, how many times did he save Earth? He should be a 4 star General by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    IIRC, the BDU's on the ship should have had two stars, it was a mistake by the costume department. Anyway, he's a three star now. That's what I want to know- how did he go from Major General to Lieutenant General?

Lieutenant Colonel EvilSpaceAlien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Oropher View Post
    I don't see why he wouldn't get promoted quickly, how many times did he save Earth? He should be a 4 star General by now.
    Meh. I'm okay with he having three stars.

Acme Lab Student Engineer leiasky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    IIRC, the BDU's on the ship should have had two stars, it was a mistake by the costume department. Anyway, he's a three star now. That's what I want to know- how did he go from Major General to Lieutenant General?

He's a two star until Continuum which was the last time we saw him in the Stargate timeline, yes?

Unitl SGU.

I bet him being a three star (as he is in SGU) has something to do with the events in the 3rd SG-1 movie.
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Quote Originally Posted by leiasky View Post
    He's a two star until Continuum which was the last time we saw him in the Stargate timeline, yes?

Unitl SGU.

I bet him being a three star (as he is in SGU) has something to do with the events in the 3rd SG-1 movie.
    I thought there were some hints in Atlantis season 4 that he was going to retire soon, so I'm a little puzzled he got promoted once more

Quote Originally Posted by siles View Post
    I thought there were some hints in Atlantis season 4 that he was going to retire soon, so I'm a little puzzled he got promoted once more
    It was mentioned in Season 8 of SG1 and in S3 of Atlantis as well. And of course, he started out the series retired. It's almost become a running joke. I think he's one of those people who can't retire because they either like the work or feel obligated to stay. In 2010 he really did retire but only because he was mad at the world. I don't think he's mad at the world now, maybe he just likes saving it?

It was mentioned in Season 8 of SG1 and in S3 of Atlantis as well. And of course, he started out the series retired. It's almost become a running joke. I think he's one of those people who can't retire because they either like the work or feel obligated to stay. In 2010 he really did retire but only because he was mad at the world. I don't think he's mad at the world now, maybe he just likes saving it?
    Yeah, but in season 4 Sam mentions that she's involved with someone from Washington that is going to retire soon - or am I imagining things?

Quote Originally Posted by siles View Post
    Yeah, but in season 4 Sam mentions that she's involved with someone from Washington that is going to retire soon - or am I imagining things?
    Does she say that he will or that he might? I don't remember, that scene was was cut from the episode. Maybe that third movie was supposed to tell us why he didn't. But from a completely practical standpoint TPTB are going to keep Jack around as long as RDA is interested and there's a role for him. And it seems to me that they never have a plan for Jack because there's always something new happening- a movie, a new series and now a delay in the next movie. He might very well stay on SGU for the duration of its run.

Plus, what does it mean to retire "soon"? I can tell you that when you've been working a very long time, "soon" can mean a couple of years.
    Last edited by VSS; October 30th, 2009 at 12:15 PM.

Second Lieutenant

Don't forget Sam got a new Job after the events of Atlantis season 4 so maybe that changed his decision.

A 4 star general would have to be responsible for more than just Stargate operations, no?

Does she say that he will or that he might? I don't remember, that scene was was cut from the episode. Maybe that third movie was supposed to tell us why he didn't. But from a completely practical standpoint TPTB are going to keep Jack around as long as RDA is interested and there's a role for him. And it seems to me that they never have a plan for Jack because there's always something new happening- a movie, a new series and now a delay in the next movie. He might very well stay on SGU for the duration of its run.

Plus, what does it mean to retire "soon"? I can tell you that when you've been working a very long time, "soon" can mean a couple of years.
    In the "Trio" deleted scene, Sam says:

"He's gonna retire soon, so ... "

This is television afterall. Considering Sam was promoted pretty fast. It isn't surprising the Jack is now "Lieut. General Jonathan "Jack" O"Neill"!!!!

Acme Lab Student Engineer leiasky's Avatar

I would like to see how or why he got that 3rd star. I still think it happens in the 3rd SG-1 movie . . .
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    In the "Trio" deleted scene, Sam says:

"He's gonna retire soon, so ... "

However that scene isn't canon since it was never used in an episode, so whether or not the writers decided to incorporate that into the characters of Jack and Sam is still very much up in the air.
    Meh.

Chief Master Sergeant Mac Jackson's Avatar

Actually, TPTB have said that THAT part of the scene is cannon and that they are together. However, they don't let us know if they are dating, living together or, as many have speculated, married by now and keeping it under wraps to anyone outside the team/family. I think/hope/pray that in this third movie they let us know that they DID get their well deserved happy ending and have been married or are getting married. It's waaaaay too long coming.
    Mac Jackson
    Singer/Songwriter of
    "Harmony Constant"
    [email protected]
    myspace.com/harmonyconstant
    youtube.com/MacWJack
    Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Jackson View Post
    Actually, TPTB have said that THAT part of the scene is cannon and that they are together. However, they don't let us know if they are dating, living together or, as many have speculated, married by now and keeping it under wraps to anyone outside the team/family. I think/hope/pray that in this third movie they let us know that they DID get their well deserved happy ending and have been married or are getting married. It's waaaaay too long coming.
    Sorry but my definition of canon extends only to what we see broadcasted. Comments from TPTB may not be representative of the entire writing/production team. We all know Mallozi has made numerous idiotic comments over the years and misled fans.
    Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Jackson View Post
    YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!

that is all.
    sally