O'Neill... one or two star general???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O'Neill... one or two star general???

I've just been watching 'The Shroud' where Daniel is captured by SG1 and held in the Odyssey. I noticed that Jack's uniform while at the SGC has two star on it, but then when he is questioning Daniel on the ship he has one star only on the collar. So which is it???
    Meh.

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    I've just been watching 'The Shroud' where Daniel is captured by SG1 and held in the Odyssey. I noticed that Jack's uniform while at the SGC has two star on it, but then when he is questioning Daniel on the ship he has one star only on the collar. So which is it???
    it's never really said. since he was essentially promoted to head of homeworld security I'm inclined to believe he's a two star.........but that would mean he would have been given a promotion in just a year so it's hard to say.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Thats always bugged me. O'Neill being a one star for only a year doesn't make sense to me. You have to wait longer to get promotoed.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Thats always bugged me. O'Neill being a one star for only a year doesn't make sense to me. You have to wait longer to get promotoed.
        Actually, most of the time at that level it is promotion when a slot opens up. Beyond Hammond, Jack was the only one qualified to fill that slot.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't see why he wouldn't get promoted quickly, how many times did he save Earth? He should be a 4 star General by now.
          www.AlterBridgeBand.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
            IIRC, the BDU's on the ship should have had two stars, it was a mistake by the costume department. Anyway, he's a three star now. That's what I want to know- how did he go from Major General to Lieutenant General?

Comment

Originally posted by King Oropher View Post
              I don't see why he wouldn't get promoted quickly, how many times did he save Earth? He should be a 4 star General by now.
              Meh. I'm okay with he having three stars.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                IIRC, the BDU's on the ship should have had two stars, it was a mistake by the costume department. Anyway, he's a three star now. That's what I want to know- how did he go from Major General to Lieutenant General?

He's a two star until Continuum which was the last time we saw him in the Stargate timeline, yes?

Unitl SGU.

I bet him being a three star (as he is in SGU) has something to do with the events in the 3rd SG-1 movie.
                sigpic
                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                  He's a two star until Continuum which was the last time we saw him in the Stargate timeline, yes?

Unitl SGU.

I bet him being a three star (as he is in SGU) has something to do with the events in the 3rd SG-1 movie.
                  I thought there were some hints in Atlantis season 4 that he was going to retire soon, so I'm a little puzzled he got promoted once more

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                    I thought there were some hints in Atlantis season 4 that he was going to retire soon, so I'm a little puzzled he got promoted once more
                    It was mentioned in Season 8 of SG1 and in S3 of Atlantis as well. And of course, he started out the series retired. It's almost become a running joke. I think he's one of those people who can't retire because they either like the work or feel obligated to stay. In 2010 he really did retire but only because he was mad at the world. I don't think he's mad at the world now, maybe he just likes saving it?

Comment

It was mentioned in Season 8 of SG1 and in S3 of Atlantis as well. And of course, he started out the series retired. It's almost become a running joke. I think he's one of those people who can't retire because they either like the work or feel obligated to stay. In 2010 he really did retire but only because he was mad at the world. I don't think he's mad at the world now, maybe he just likes saving it?
                      Yeah, but in season 4 Sam mentions that she's involved with someone from Washington that is going to retire soon - or am I imagining things?

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                        Yeah, but in season 4 Sam mentions that she's involved with someone from Washington that is going to retire soon - or am I imagining things?
                        Does she say that he will or that he might? I don't remember, that scene was was cut from the episode. Maybe that third movie was supposed to tell us why he didn't. But from a completely practical standpoint TPTB are going to keep Jack around as long as RDA is interested and there's a role for him. And it seems to me that they never have a plan for Jack because there's always something new happening- a movie, a new series and now a delay in the next movie. He might very well stay on SGU for the duration of its run.

Plus, what does it mean to retire "soon"? I can tell you that when you've been working a very long time, "soon" can mean a couple of years.
                        Last edited by VSS; 30 October 2009, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Don't forget Sam got a new Job after the events of Atlantis season 4 so maybe that changed his decision.

A 4 star general would have to be responsible for more than just Stargate operations, no?

Comment

Does she say that he will or that he might? I don't remember, that scene was was cut from the episode. Maybe that third movie was supposed to tell us why he didn't. But from a completely practical standpoint TPTB are going to keep Jack around as long as RDA is interested and there's a role for him. And it seems to me that they never have a plan for Jack because there's always something new happening- a movie, a new series and now a delay in the next movie. He might very well stay on SGU for the duration of its run.

Plus, what does it mean to retire "soon"? I can tell you that when you've been working a very long time, "soon" can mean a couple of years.
                            In the "Trio" deleted scene, Sam says:

"He's gonna retire soon, so ... "

Comment

This is television afterall. Considering Sam was promoted pretty fast. It isn't surprising the Jack is now "Lieut. General Jonathan "Jack" O"Neill"!!!!
                              MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                              MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                              POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                              CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                              GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                              VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                              FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X