No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to the Tria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I think it either made it to Atlantis or was impounded. It's not like they didn't have time to give the Ancients hyperdrive parts before the Asurans showed up anyway.
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

I'd like to know how long the Ancients were back in control of Atlantis and what they did.
      Visit my Website

Comment

As far as repairing the hyperdrive goes, isn't it possible that the drive on the Tria was impossible to fix with the equipment avaiable on the ship. We have seen this situation before in Memento when the buffer module for the Naquadria hyperdrive was damaged beyond repair, with no backup on board. If Earth Scientists could patch the system enough to get the ship to Atlantis or Earth, the scientists would be able to replace or further repair the hyperdive.

As for the ZPM on the Tria, the Lanteans used to to send the Expedition back to Earth directly. It hasn't been mentionned what happened to the ZPM after the Asuran attack but some possibilities to account for the ZPM is that it was one of the three left behind in the city, or that it was depleted in the attack.

One interesting possible fate for the Tria is to give it to the Travellers. They can't build their own ships so this would allow their population to continue growing. This would keep Earth's from gaining a significant increase in military power.
        Last edited by craigmaceachern; 31 July 2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PotluckoftheGods View Post
          At this point, in the Gate universe, Earth has Asgard weapons which make salvaging ancient warships more or less unnecessary. But at the time of "The Return", Earth's warships were still dependent on rail guns and missiles, which were largely ineffective against Hive ships and, possibly, Ha'taks.

So why didn't they try to salvage the Tria? Was an explanation given in any episode, or are we to simply understand that her hyperdrive is beyond repair?

Anyone have any reasons?
          Even with Asgard-Weapons, the Tria itself (they could learn a lot from having what is basically a precursor-race ship in their possession! As long as they can keep it!) is a treasure trove (the Ancients were in space before humanity was even a pipe dream!)...not to mention that if either its hyperdrive was fixed or replaced by a brand-spanking-new one, then you might have a ship that is as fast as an Asgard Ship (which is way way way way faster than a Daedalus-Class, even with a ZPM installed...a true Asgard drive probably needs more space than they had on the human ships and more power (that's why the 304's are faster with a ZPM))

It could be used as an "Oh ****"-Button (a fast ship only used if no other options work and speed is of the essence! Hell, it could be sent after Destiny (without hopping from Galaxy to galaxy - just go the direct route!)), especially if they install more weapons (so that it's not more or less helpless if the drones are gone!), maybe a backup-shield-generator, some neutrino-ion-reactors etc. etc.

Hm...damn...I just now saw how old this threat is! Ok, call me a necro if you wish, but I don't like deleting stuff I spent time typing up...so I'll necro!

ps: Why would you give such a ship away? The Travellers are intersting but they are more or less scavengers, thieves (IMHO the Tau'ri have a better claim on Ancient stuff than the Travellers do who don't even have the Ancient-Gene!)...not to say we shouldn't help them (maybe fix their ships - in trade for the plans of their handguns!)...still, I'd keep it!

Also: Why slow Earth's acquisition of tech down? Seriously, I hated this in the show ("We have a Ha'tak" - Writers: "Nope you don't! And it's broken!"...seriously, WHY? Every new bit of tech was gone by the next episodes (with very few exceptions))
          Last edited by Laxian of Earth; 04 March 2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
            Even with Asgard-Weapons, the Tria itself (they could learn a lot from having what is basically a precursor-race ship in their possession! As long as they can keep it!) is a treasure trove (the Ancients were in space before humanity was even a pipe dream!)...not to mention that if either its hyperdrive was fixed or replaced by a brand-spanking-new one, then you might have a ship that is as fast as an Asgard Ship (which is way way way way faster than a Daedalus-Class, even with a ZPM installed...a true Asgard drive probably needs more space than they had on the human ships and more power (that's why the 304's are faster with a ZPM))

It could be used as an "Oh ****"-Button (a fast ship only used if no other options work and speed is of the essence! Hell, it could be sent after Destiny (without hopping from Galaxy to galaxy - just go the direct route!)), especially if they install more weapons (so that it's not more or less helpless if the drones are gone!), maybe a backup-shield-generator, some neutrino-ion-reactors etc. etc.

Hm...damn...I just now saw how old this threat is! Ok, call me a necro if you wish, but I don't like deleting stuff I spent time typing up...so I'll necro!

ps: Why would you give such a ship away? The Travellers are intersting but they are more or less scavengers, thieves (IMHO the Tau'ri have a better claim on Ancient stuff than the Travellers do who don't even have the Ancient-Gene!)...not to say we shouldn't help them (maybe fix their ships - in trade for the plans of their handguns!)...still, I'd keep it!

Also: Why slow Earth's acquisition of tech down? Seriously, I hated this in the show ("We have a Ha'tak" - Writers: "Nope you don't! And it's broken!"...seriously, WHY? Every new bit of tech was gone by the next episodes (with very few exceptions))
            I agree that the Tria would be quite a tech find. It's one of those loose ends that could end up being a hell of a story. If memory serves, wasn't the ship still in the intergalactic void between the Milky Way and Pegasus? If the SGC retained the coordinates, it could be quite the tech harvest.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
              (which is way way way way faster than a Daedalus-Class, even with a ZPM installed...
              Possibly not. After Weir returned to Earth because of the events of the season 2/3 finale/premiere, she hopped an Asgard ship back to the Pegasus galaxy. According to the following dialogue exchange it would have taken the Asgard ship a little over four days to make the trip.

WOOLSEY: I understand that Stargate Command has put in a request to the Asgard for transportation.

WEIR: I know they don't have a lot of ships to spare right now, but that will shave almost two weeks off our travel time.

Note that she says "travel time," so she's not calculating the time it would take for the Asgard to have a ship available to send to Earth.

Also note that the Daedalus can make the trip within four days with a ZPM and 18 days on its own, so the Asgard hyperspace speed appears on par if not marginally slower an F-304 on ZPM power.

Sg-1 doesn't clearly define how long it takes for the Asgard to travel between the Ida and Milky Way galaxies, nor does it define what the distance between them is (presumably they're much closer). Film cuts occur that make travel times look ridiculously fast, but I don't know that this was intended on the part of the writers; it might have just been sloppiness.

a true Asgard drive probably needs more space than they had on the human ships and more power (that's why the 304's are faster with a ZPM))
              I think the power angle is the primary issue. Earth ships use primitive naquadah generators to the Asgard's advanced neutrino-ion generators, and the Asgard presumably are able to more effectively transfer energy to needed systems. When you see them hooking up a ZPM to the Daedalus you see them using a number of tiny wires. Atlantis, in comparison, transfers energy in massive tubes. If you tried to pass too much energy from a ZPM to the Daedalus' systems, the ship's electrical system will die on you, so they're not using it at the same level that Atlantis does.

Similarly, while the Asgard's generators may not be on the same level as a ZPM, their more advanced energy transfer system would allow them to make optimal use of their generators. That optimal use level appears on par with the reduced energy transfer level that the Daedalus takes out of a ZPM.

Hyperspace travel time, though, has always been a combination of hyperspace engine design and available power, and there's nothing to suggest that you're wrong that Earth may not have the most advanced Asgard engine design (either because that was withheld from them or because of size limitations). So that may indeed also be a factor.
              Last edited by Xaeden; 05 July 2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X