This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW Forum Features Are Here!

We are very excited about the buckets full of new forum features that are included in the latest version of the vBulletin software, which was just released and is coming to GateWorld in the next week or so!

Check out these threads to read more about what is new in vB 3.7:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249460
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268833

The most significant front-end additions that you will get to play with include:

New Profile Pages. Your profile page can act like a MySpace or Facebook social networking hub, with ...
    Reciprocal Friends List. Make buddies on the forum and keep track of them.
    Photo Albums. Create your own albums and share photos with friends. Post public comments on individual photos.
    Public Messages. Now members can post comments on your profile page (like Facebook's "The Wall").
    Social Groups. Join a public group -- fans of a certain character or 'ship, convention attendees, etc. -- or create a new one! Comes with "Invite Only" and "Moderated Membership" options for private groups.
    Lightbox viewer for inline images. Sweeet.

We will have more to say as we roll this out in the very near future (i.e. - when Darren is done with final exams). Stay tuned!
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

hmmm.... Gateworld is becoming like Facebook/Myspace/Bebo.... this should be interesting
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Sounds cool, Darren, but as much as I don't like raining on parades (well, I don't always like raining on them) I've gotta ask... Will the public messages be policed by the mods? Or is it maybe something that individuals can control? 'Cos if someone posts something rude but not necessarily rule-breaking it'd be nice to be able to do something about it.

The human verification thing sounds handy, although I imagine there'll still be some clever spammers out there who can bypass it.

Does the image resizing thing ONLY work on attachments or is it something that will affect ALL images? Because boy, would it be nice if it auto-resized pics (and sigs) to forum standards.

Comment

Awesome. This sounds great Darren.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

nice.. Anything that contributes to efficiency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
            hmmm.... Gateworld is becoming like Facebook/Myspace/Bebo.... this should be interesting
            vBulletin is ....so it won't be just gw

ADD are you going to have to rework the forum skin again like you did during the previous major upgrade??
            Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 05 May 2008, 06:50 PM.
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              Sounds cool, Darren, but as much as I don't like raining on parades (well, I don't always like raining on them) I've gotta ask... Will the public messages be policed by the mods? Or is it maybe something that individuals can control? 'Cos if someone posts something rude but not necessarily rule-breaking it'd be nice to be able to do something about it.

The human verification thing sounds handy, although I imagine there'll still be some clever spammers out there who can bypass it.

Does the image resizing thing ONLY work on attachments or is it something that will affect ALL images? Because boy, would it be nice if it auto-resized pics (and sigs) to forum standards.
              It will be moderated the same way the current forum is moderated, via Reported posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                We are very excited about the buckets full of new forum features that are included in the latest version of the vBulletin software, which was just released and is coming to GateWorld in the next week or so!

Check out these threads to read more about what is new in vB 3.7:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249460
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268833

The most significant front-end additions that you will get to play with include:

New Profile Pages. Your profile page can act like a MySpace or Facebook social networking hub, with ...
                Reciprocal Friends List. Make buddies on the forum and keep track of them.
                Photo Albums. Create your own albums and share photos with friends. Post public comments on individual photos.
                Public Messages. Now members can post comments on your profile page (like Facebook's "The Wall").
                Social Groups. Join a public group -- fans of a certain character or 'ship, convention attendees, etc. -- or create a new one! Comes with "Invite Only" and "Moderated Membership" options for private groups.
                Lightbox viewer for inline images. Sweeet.

We will have more to say as we roll this out in the very near future (i.e. - when Darren is done with final exams). Stay tuned!
                Does this affect dial-up users?

Comment

It shouldn't, unless you visit image-heavy pages.

The improvements sound really great, and a way for people to customize their profile a bit more.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm assuming these facebook-esque features will be optional?

I ask because I recently decided (after two and a half years) that facebook is garbage and a waste of time, and got completely out of it. I tend to come on these forums to discuss (most of) my favourite shows, and I already know which posters I like and dislike without needing to use the buddy list to keep track of them.

Just sayin'....
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

These will be added-on features, meaning if you don't want to use them you don't have to. The rest of the forum (and the forum folders and threads are still fundamentally what this forum is) remains the same.

You won't be able to choose between "old style" and "new style" on your profile page. Not sure about moderation of public posts on your profile. You may be able to disable it, and I think you will be able to admin comments on your own profile page to keep out stuff you don't want there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        are you going to have to rework the forum skin again like you did during the previous major upgrade??
                        There will likely be a number of template fixes I will have to make after we upgrade, yes. Hopefully nothing major.

Comment

These will be added-on features, meaning if you don't want to use them you don't have to. The rest of the forum (and the forum folders and threads are still fundamentally what this forum is) remains the same.
                          Terrific! Thanks chief, you had me worried
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You won't be able to choose between "old style" and "new style" on your profile page. Not sure about moderation of public posts on your profile. You may be able to disable it, and I think you will be able to admin comments on your own profile page to keep out stuff you don't want there.
                            Thanks for clearing things up Darren. I was a bit confused at one point because you guys seem to enforce a very dial-up friendly attitude here and it would have been odd if these new changes would conflict with that idea.

Comment

yay something new to play with ....i'm starting to become a social network nut so the profile option will be fun to try

looking forward to it
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X