2008 Firefly Re-Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 Firefly Re-Watch

Now that the semester is wrapping up, I'm thinking it would be a good time to reward myself for all my hard work by re-watching the Firefly series beginning to end, culminating with a screening of the Bid Damn Movie.

Since my real life friends are rather lame (and watch things like American Idol instead of Sci-fi) - would anyone be interested in participating in a loosely scheduled re-watch?

I'm thinking of taking the month of May to get through the series starting sometime later this week.

For folks who may not have their own DVD set due to availability or financial concerns (and really, that should truly be the only excuse - LOL) it is available free & legal in the US on HULU, although I don't know the availability internationally.
    http://www.hulu.com/firefly

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
    Now that the semester is wrapping up, I'm thinking it would be a good time to reward myself for all my hard work by re-watching the Firefly series beginning to end, culminating with a screening of the Bid Damn Movie.

Since my real life friends are rather lame (and watch things like American Idol instead of Sci-fi) - would anyone be interested in participating in a loosely scheduled re-watch?

I'm thinking of taking the month of May to get through the series starting sometime later this week.

For folks who may not have their own DVD set due to availability or financial concerns (and really, that should truly be the only excuse - LOL) it is available free & legal in the US on HULU, although I don't know the availability internationally.
    http://www.hulu.com/firefly
    I just bought the series on DVD. It's not technically a rewatch, since I've never seen any of the episodes, but I'm game for watching with you. I'll probably be watching the pilot this evening.
    I'm looking forward to it, since I know nothing about this fandom. Although I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Dunc for my pretty aurora and Muse sig. He had no part in the Twilight one

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora1101 View Post
      I just bought the series on DVD. It's not technically a rewatch, since I've never seen any of the episodes, but I'm game for watching with you. I'll probably be watching the pilot this evening.
      I'm looking forward to it, since I know nothing about this fandom. Although I've heard nothing but good things about it.
      OMG!! A FF virgin!

There didn't seem to be a whole lot of interest over here at GW (I thought it'd be good timing with SGA on hiatus, but...oh well) But I have shiny-friendly places for you to check out with folks who are watching it at relatively the same time.

Here's an LJ community that the admin let me "borrow" for a run:
      http://community.livejournal.com/firefly_relight/

These discussion boards here include the forum for a podcast called "The Signal" which is still a very active fandom of Firefly. Our re-watch is simply lumped in the general discussion:
      http://fireflydvd.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

Don't feel like you have to stick to the schedule or anything, that's just when the post for discussion is scheduled to be up and available for folks to comment and talk about. Also, since I'm kinda doing the posts for both places, you'll see some overlap. I'm "CollSwan" in both places, stop in and say 'Hi'.

Enjoy Firefly and welcome to the Browncoat club!

If you decide not to head over to either place, I still hope you'll post your thoughts about the series. I watched it when it aired, so it'd be interesting to hear a "new" take on it (we get so jaded, dong ma?)

Comment

OMG!! A FF virgin!

There didn't seem to be a whole lot of interest over here at GW (I thought it'd be good timing with SGA on hiatus, but...oh well) But I have shiny-friendly places for you to check out with folks who are watching it at relatively the same time.

Here's an LJ community that the admin let me "borrow" for a run:
        http://community.livejournal.com/firefly_relight/

These discussion boards here include the forum for a podcast called "The Signal" which is still a very active fandom of Firefly. Our re-watch is simply lumped in the general discussion:
        http://fireflydvd.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

Don't feel like you have to stick to the schedule or anything, that's just when the post for discussion is scheduled to be up and available for folks to comment and talk about. Also, since I'm kinda doing the posts for both places, you'll see some overlap. I'm "CollSwan" in both places, stop in and say 'Hi'.

Enjoy Firefly and welcome to the Browncoat club!

If you decide not to head over to either place, I still hope you'll post your thoughts about the series. I watched it when it aired, so it'd be interesting to hear a "new" take on it (we get so jaded, dong ma?)
        OMG! I just had a really long post, just finished, but GW kicked me out! Curses!!

anyway, sorry, Hello! Thanks for the welcomes

I don't have an LJ account, so not sure if I could post at those links you provided. I will definitely be posting here. Perhaps after I've watched all the eps I'll head over to the sites you suggested.

anyway, now I have to try to remember what I wrote. argh!

We start the show during what appears to be a firefight. We meet Mal and Zoe. They're at war, but with who? It appears they're going to lose this round. Fast forward 6 years. We see Mal and Zoe again, now with a group of others. They seem to be salvaging treasure from another ship drifting in space. then the Alliance shows up. I'm assuming these are the bad guys on the show. I have to admit, when the showed the bridge of the Alliance ship, I was waiting for Darth Vader to show up Am I the only one that sees a little bit of similarity to Star Wars?

After escaping, they head to Persephone, and pick up another assortment of interesting characters. Simon seems rather mysterious at this point. Just what is in his cargo? We also meet Inara. There's seems to be some tension between her and Mal. Just what's going on here with these two? I also noticed that Inara seems very protective of Kaylee. I'm assuming that there must be some history between these characters as well. I have to add, I'm really liking JS's Kaylee character. I think I may end up liking Kaylee better than keller. I actually noticed that a lot of these actors have been on Stargate.

so just when you think the Alliance are the bad guys, our team runs into the reavers. At this point we don't know what they look like yet, but I gotta say, they sound pretty darn creepy, just from the description given by Zoe. yikes!

Ok, so later we find out that Simon's cargo is his sister, River, who's being cryogenically frozen. It turns out she's been help captive by the Alliance for the last two years and she wasn't treated well. It will be interesting to see what her story is.

I have to admit, from what little I've seen of this show so far, I'm really liking it. A lot. I have a feeling I'll be an official browncoat in no time

I'll post here again when I see the 2nd episode
        sigpic
        Thanks to Dunc for my pretty aurora and Muse sig. He had no part in the Twilight one

Comment

I'm really liking JS's Kaylee character.
          Well, maybe some of the Keller-love is a spilling over of the Kaylee-love, but I could be biased...

Here's some of my favorites from Serenity Parts 1&2

Favorite Quote
          Prior to re-watch most favorite quote:
          “ I don't believe there's a power in the ‘verse can stop Kaylee from being cheerful. Sometimes you just wanna duct-tape her mouth, and… dump 'er in the hold for a month.” - Mal
          After re-watch most favorite quote:
          “10 percent of nothin’ is... let me do the math. Nothing, and nothing, carry the nothin’...” - Jayne

Favorite character
          Prior to re-watch favorite character
          Mal, of course, because “I love my captain!”
          After re-watch favorite character
          I’m going with Kaylee ‘cuz she’s full of so much sunshine and just loves that gorram ship.

Favorite BDH moment (aka "action sequence") BDH refers to the phrase "Big Damn Hero" which comes up in episode 5, "Safe"
          Prior to re-watch most favorite BDH moment
          Crazy Ivan
          After re-watch most favorite BDH moment
          Simon jumping over the railing on Dobson to save River

Favorite Scene
          Prior to re-watch most favorite overall scene:
          Wash playing with dinosaurs.
          After re-watch most favorite overall scene:
          Wash playing with dinosaurs.

What were some of your favorites?

Comment

I don't post about Firefly here because I am pretty active at a Firefly forum. Its great to see this show can still attract new fans after being off the air for so long.

I actually became a Stargate fan because of Firefly. I started watching SGA when I heard that Jewel Staite was going to guest star. I loved the show and went back and rented all of SGA and SG1 so I am sure I am guilty of Kaylee love spilling over to Keller like.

Comment

Awww, this already started? Ah well, don't have time to watch all the eps this month anyway.....

Cause I keep drifting to season one of BSG. Even though I shouldn't have time for that either.

Comment

OMG! I've just discovered this thread! I never watched Firefly when it was on TV but my cousin was kind enough to let me borrow the DVD boxset. I watched an episode a day to digest it and take it all in and just finished watching Saturday (17th May). I also watched Serenity on Sunday (18th May).

The series was fantastic as was the movie! I really enjoyed it! They were full of Joss Whedon's humour and surprises!

I can't believe Firefly didn't get past a 1st season! It's criminal! I think this is a case of some FOX big-wig sitting behind a desk not knowing what he had except for a rubber stamp with the word "CANCEL" on it.

HUGE mistake on FOX's part IMHO. Firefly should NOT have been cancelled.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                  **snip*

sigpic
                  The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Since there are some folks watching the series for the first time (can you tell how excited I am by that -- I'm so geeked-out over it!), I'll try to remember spoilers in case you haven't gotten to a particular episode yet.

02 The Train Job was the first show ever to air, this was my first taste of our BDH way back when (was it really 5-1/2 years ago?!?!?!). Watching it now immediately following Serenity parts 1&2, it makes so much more sense!
                    Spoiler:

I remember when I first saw this episode, I was worried about River’s comment about Mal meaning ‘bad’ in Latin. Did anyone else get weirded out by that?

And Jayne with the angels... I forgot all about Jayne and his angels. How did I forget that?

Mal's best one-liners: (please add....Mal's or anyone's)
                    "Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?”
                    “Still a little whimsical in the brainpan.”
                    “I live on the edge. Been given some thoughts of moving off the edge.”
                    Last edited by Pic; 18 May 2008, 05:27 PM. Reason: spoiler thingy didn't work at first, ggrrr.....

Comment

OMG! I've just discovered this thread! I never watched Firefly when it was on TV but my cousin was kind enough to let me borrow the DVD boxset. I watched an episode a day to digest it and take it all in and just finished watching Saturday (17th May). I also watched Serenity on Sunday (18th May).

The series was fantastic as was the movie! I really enjoyed it! They were full of Joss Whedon's humour and surprises!

I can't believe Firefly didn't get past a 1st season! It's criminal! I think this is a case of some FOX big-wig sitting behind a desk not knowing what he had except for a rubber stamp with the word "CANCEL" on it.

Hi Alan!
                      I'm in the process of watching Firefly for the first time myself. I just got done watching the 2nd episode, The Train Job. I had no idea you were watching too. Yay!

Since there are some folks watching the series for the first time (can you tell how excited I am by that -- I'm so geeked-out over it!), I'll try to remember spoilers in case you haven't gotten to a particular episode yet.

02 The Train Job was the first show ever to air, this was my first taste of our BDH way back when (was it really 5-1/2 years ago?!?!?!). Watching it now immediately following Serenity parts 1&2, it makes so much more sense!
                      Spoiler:

I remember when I first saw this episode, I was worried about River’s comment about Mal meaning ‘bad’ in Latin. Did anyone else get weirded out by that?

And Jayne with the angels... I forgot all about Jayne and his angels. How did I forget that?

Mal's best one-liners: (please add....Mal's or anyone's)
                      "Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?”
                      “Still a little whimsical in the brainpan.”
                      “I live on the edge. Been given some thoughts of moving off the edge.”
                      You're telling me this was the first ep that aired? Why on earth would they mix the episodes up like that?

Anyway, I read your spoilers, since I'm past episode two now
                      I thought that was weird too, River's comment I mean.

I'm getting the feeling that Mal and company constantly walk a fine line with the law, but it was nice to see they had a conscience and gave those stolen medical supplies back at the end.
                      So, I'm assuming that they've got a new bad guy to worry about, since they didn't deliver the stolen goods.

There's a lot of little things about the show I just don't get yet. I'm hoping more is explained along the way.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hi Alan!
                        I'm in the process of watching Firefly for the first time myself. I just got done watching the 2nd episode, The Train Job. I had no idea you were watching too. Yay!
                        Hi Aurora!
                        I hope you enjoy Firefly as much as I did. It's a heck of a coincidence that we've never watched the program before and that we're just started (or in my case I've practically only just finished) watching. Amazing!

I ask you to please take the advice my cousins gave me - Watch it an episode a day. Don't rush through it. Take it all in and enjoy it.

It's advice I'm glad I listened too.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Hi Aurora!
                          I hope you enjoy Firefly as much as I did. It's a heck of a coincidence that we've never watched the program before and that we're just started (or in my case I've practically only just finished) watching. Amazing!

I ask you to please take the advice my cousins gave me - Watch it an episode a day. Don't rush through it. Take it all in and enjoy it.

It's advice I'm glad I listened too.
                          A coincidence indeed!
                          since there are only 14 episodes, I'm trying to take me time in watching. I'm definitely not rushing through, don't want it to end too soon.

i'm hoping to see episode 3 tomorrow.
                          sigpic

Comment

A coincidence indeed!
                            since there are only 14 episodes, I'm trying to take me time in watching. I'm definitely not rushing through, don't want it to end too soon.

i'm hoping to see episode 3 tomorrow.
                            Those were my thoughts. I figured that if I watched all 14 episodes across only a couple of days it'd go by too quick. Too be honest though...the 14 days of watching sped by pretty quick too but I still remember the best parts and lines. Savour it, Aurora. Savour it. It'll be gone too quick.

And the part I put in bold. The "me" instead of "my". Very British...unless that's a common occurrence in the US too.

Comment

wish i could watch stuff like that...i've gota watch em all at once
                              Hey this ain't about science try NASA for that...

Comment

Working...
                              X