Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you immediatley know the candle light is fire....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One flew over the cuckoo's nest?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Came here by google search when re-watching the episode. Just stopping quickly to thank the person that gave me the correct answer and to highlight it for anyone else that might miss it when wading through the "it means everyting/nothing, it's about spoiled food!" crowd:

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      If I remember correctly, it's a reference to a Buddhist story about a fool who needed to cook a meal and so went looking for fire by candlelight.
      If the fool realized that the candle light was fire, he would have already cooked the meal instead of looking for fire.

If Daniel would have realized that Oma could already protect the child, he wouldn't be seeking the child to protect him.

I honestly don't know if later writers in later episodes kept this in mind or misinterpreted it. I'd need to examine them in-context, case by case, but I do believe this is the correct meaning of it in this context.

additional reference:
      http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/glg/glg07.htm
      http://archive.is/7K2QM
      It is too clear and so it is hard to see.
      A dunce once searched for a fire with a lighted lantern.
      Had he known what fire was,
      He could have cooked his rice much sooner.
      Which of course is very close to what the monk said to Daniel.

Anyway, ironically, like the dunce in the story, users in this thread carried on for 4 pages even though the answer was on the first page.

Comment

I'd edit my post, but it's awaiting mod approval, so I'll just mention the additional irony of this being from The Gateless Gate.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gateless_Gate

Comment

Originally posted by lc19 View Post
          Anyway, ironically, like the dunce in the story, users in this thread carried on for 4 pages even though the answer was on the first page.
          Not really. It's a quite vague statement that is open to interpretation. And as i posted a long time ago, i think it was entirely the point. After all, the context for it's various uses was different every time, but the gist is the same, that understanding is a process and that knowing the answer isn't enough. Or, as Daniel said to Replicarter: "it's not just knowledge, it's understanding".

Daniel needed to understand that Oma Desala was already protecting the child. He did not make the connection that the child was already under protection.

He needed to understand that he had to let go of his burdens. In this case he eventually understood that to shed his physical body he needed to shed his earthly burdens.

And RepliCarter didn't understand that it wasn't merely knowledge that she needed but also understanding. Processing Daniel's knowledge took progressively more time as she struggled to understand what she was mindreading, and in the end missed the entirely obvious, that Daniel was reading hers.

Comment

Always thought it was Ascended humor.

Comment

Originally posted by unscheduled traveller View Post
              Always thought it was Ascended humor.
              Oh, there's plenty of reason to think it was at least partially in jest. Sure, it was meant to display that there was a clear difference in understanding between Oma and Daniel, but i'm also sure that Oma also did it to troll him a bit.

Just as Daniel did to Replicarter.

Comment

Just as Daniel did to Replicarter....
                LOL! Forgot about that.

Comment

Actually, you are thinking this too hard. Remember General Vidrine when he saw the new death glider mod that Teal'c flew. When they explained the next phase he said "Lets light that candle boys." The "meal" would be the next flight in this case. Once the candle is lit, you would know that the activity has already started. I might add that teh next flight could not have been started until teh lans were completed for the plane. In effect, the meal, being the test flight, would not be ready to "eat" if it were not already cooked. So to racap and if we apply Oma's statement to this case, the candle is the project. The cooking would be the planning. The actual activities after the planning would be the meal. So if you know the candle is is fire, then the meal has already been cooked and (I paraphrase) is ready to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    Star Trek : Candle lighting is futile.
                    Star Wars : Join to the Dark Side!
                    Matrix : There is no candle.
                    Babylon 5 : We lit for the one, we dark for the one.
                    FarScape : Frell your fire.
                    Game of Thrones : If you immediately know the candlelight is wildfire, then you win or you die.
                    BattleStarGalactica : The candle has a plan.
                    West World : This candle doesn't look like anything to me.
                    Okay, some of them were a bit rushed or not that clever, but thanks, gaters. The Farscape one could have been : "Candles don't matter." or "your candle and your timing." or "Candles are superior". I miss that show too.

sense8 : Candles like art, must always be free.
                    Toy Story : So long, candle.
                    Inside Out : Take her candle to the Moon for me, okay?
                    Xena : Your candle was the best thing in my life.
                    Inception : You are waiting for a candle.
                    Back to the future : Where we're going we don't need candles.
                    Lion King : Can you feel the candlelight tonight?
                    Skyrim : Place you fancy candle some place else.
                    StarCraft : My life for a candle.
                    Mass Effect : Had to be my candle. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
                    24 : Who are you lighting for?
                    Spartacus : What would you do to hold your candle again?
                    Merlin (1998) : I think I have one last candle.

Okay, I will stop it now. I hope you get all the references.
                    This candelism is spreading! Well done!

Here are just a few more:

How to train your dragon : Wickless
                    Titanic : My candle will go on
                    Toy Story : To stargate infinity and beyond!
                    Star Wars : Only a candle deals in absolute.
                    Avengers : You have an army, but we have a candle!
                    LOST : Live together, ascend alone.
                    Mass Effect: Does this candle have a soul?

Now as we successfully half-offed this thread, maybe we should return to the SG world. At least you know what tv shows I followed in the last few years.
                    Shall I say more?
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

This is elementary it refers to being enlightened to the point one does not need to concern themselves of the mundane. Plus, it incorporates the fundamental principle of what's called manifestation, which is a combination of the brain & the heart combining to create something in the present. As opposed to prayer where one hopes. Example, a prayer or desire of "please heal my mother." Whereas manifestation knows/sees the mother already healed as in present or past tense. To wit, candle is fire, meal's already cooked a long time ago is the mundane. Those enlightened don't need to concern their selfs of such trivial matters.

Comment

I know its been years since this post was first made but I wanted to chime in, I've followed Stargate since the 3rd season came out. Once Daniel started learning how to ascend I too was curious about the things he had to learn. I am currently in college and studying Philosophy and Plato talks about something close to what Oma De Sala tries to teach Daniel. Plato talks about Relativists and their works on Empiricism, Plato rejects the relativists thoughts but this may be where they got the idea from. Plato "The minute I say, "The Coffee in the cup is hot," it has already begun to cool and then shortly my description will no longer be correct.". So that probably where the writers got Omas statement from , a reworded philosophical statement meant to be beyond our comprehension hence....ascension once you do figure out the logic of it. if it isn't just nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                        X