Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you immediatley know the candle light is fire....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you immediatley know the candle light is fire....

"If you immediatley know the candle light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

Okkkkkkkkkkkk

I have thought about this over and over and although I do have a few theories about what Oma Desala meant by this i'm not totally convincing myself.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on what Oma meant by this or what she was trying to get Daniel to think about when she said this?

"Sometimes we make the right decision, sometimes we make the decision right - Dr Phil," Gen. Hank Landry

One can make up a few plausible theories, but the truth is that the writers themselves likely didn't know what it means. Just a faux profound phrase meant to keep you guessing.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I belive its kinda like

"If you immediatley know that Evolution is a lie then you are a ****tard and nothing can change your mind"

if you get my drift..

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
        One can make up a few plausible theories, but the truth is that the writers themselves likely didn't know what it means. Just a faux profound phrase meant to keep you guessing.
        I totally agree. But what plausible theories do you have?
        "Sometimes we make the right decision, sometimes we make the decision right - Dr Phil," Gen. Hank Landry

Comment

Originally posted by Kebab Gud View Post
          I belive its kinda like

"If you immediatley know that Evolution is a lie then you are a ****tard and nothing can change your mind"

if you get my drift..
          ahahahaha

Comment

to clarefy

"If you immediatley know one statement to be true.. then nothing can change your mind"

get it better now?

Comment

I read it to mean the following:

You can only know the source or true nature of a phenomenon/object/situation once all of it's effects have occured.
              Last edited by Flyboy; 04 May 2008, 03:25 PM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

If you immediatley know the candlelight is fire you will not burn your hand

This topic has been done to death.... But he's what's in GW's description of Avalon;
                In the Ancient cavern Daniel quotes his favorite ascended being, Oma Desala: "If you immediately know the candlelight is fire ..." ("Maternal Instinct"). The rest of the quote is, "the meal was cooked a long time ago," and refers to things not being what they initially appear to be.
                Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

it means that if you already know the meaning of life then there is no point in living life its not made up by the writers its actually a zen koan
                  Sozan, a Chinese Zen master, was asked by a student: "What is the most valuable thing in the world?"
                  The master replied: "The head of a dead cat."
                  "Why is the head of a dead cat the most valuable thing in the world?" inquired the student.
                  Sozan replied: "Because no one can name its price."

A long time ago in China there were two friends, one who played the harp skillfully and one who listened skillfully.
                  When the one played or sang about a mountain, the other would say: "I can see the mountain before us."
                  When the other played about water, the listener would exclaim: "Here is the running stream!"
                  But the listener fell sick and died. The first friend cut the strings of his harp and never played again. Since that time the cutting of harp strings has always been a sign of intimate friendship.

Comment

what about any references to the Ori????
                    if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

Comment

It's a phrase that has the same effect as the Latin "quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur"

/Oh the irony

Comment

Um, I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that it was a koan, and therefore wouldn't make immediate sense to the unenlightened (which is 99.999% of viewers....you don't catch a lot of monks watching SciFi).

Could be wrong though.
                        "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Huh, I guess it's been a few weeks since we've seen one of these threads. Longer than usual, anyway. My previous answer, I stand by it:

I always understood it to be a metaphor concerning discarding preconceptions. You automatically assume the candle light is fire, and put no thought into it. A meal cooked a long time ago...is cold and unpleasant.

Thus you would have missed the whole point of being here; you've jumped right to the end without enjoying the most important part--deep thought and personal contemplation.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

If I remember correctly, it's a reference to a Buddhist story about a fool who needed to cook a meal and so went looking for fire by candlelight.

Comment

I imagine its a metaphor for the speed of human awareness.

It means to say that we are very slow to grasp new concepts. The implicit idea is that if we can immediately recognize something, than instead of being proud of ourselves we should realize how far behind we really are.

Comment

Working...
                              X