This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Atlantis Door Sensor Prop

Does anyone have some good quality screen caps of the door sensor thing, (the blue things you wave your hand in front of), on Atlantis?

I'm looking into building a replica, so I need some good pics to base a design off of. For that matter, does anyone have any info/knowledge on building one?

Thanks,
    M!

Not sure if this has what you want but it is a good place to start.

http://www.stargatecaps.com/

Comment

Are you just going to make a little prop to stick next to your door or are you actually gonna do the amazing thing and make it so you can open your door like on Atlantis?

Comment

I'd make it in vac-formed ABS for the main casing and acrylic for the control crystals inside (since thats what they really are)

Start with a block of MDF, cut it to the right shape.. make it a little taller than it needs to be. put it in the vacuum former and thats the ABS plastic shell made (apart from cutting it down to the right height and sanding the edges smooth). It might have more detail, hard to tell from the image I found but that can be made by vac-forming additional shells and cutting out the required pieces, stacking them all together and filling the gaps with car body filler (because a model isn't a model until it has some car body filler in it) cut three slots in the top and fit the acrylic.. don't know how much detail you want, if you want to make each crystal separately or just have a single piece so it looks like they're separate.

Of course thats what I would do if I had access to a vac-former... its possible to make it all by hand, will take longer to do though. I'd still use ABS since its a good quality plastic. Cut out long and short side pieces, stick them into a rectangular shape, then stack layers of ABS onto the ends to create the curve and fill to make it smooth. Any extra detail on the sides can be cut out from ABS and stuck on and filled as neccessary. Then you just need the top piece. Cut the holes first,then cut the shape for the top... stick it on, fill the gaps and join lines, sand it smooth and spray it! Then finally fit the acrylic sheet to the inside edge... and you're done!

Unless you want to make it open.. which is a similar process really, building it all in ABS pieces.. top side, left right, detail sections... might take a while and I hope I explained it in a way that non-prop maker types can understand if not PM me and I'll try to help more.

Comment

Also, on one or both sides, there is Ancient writing on it.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
            Also, on one or both sides, there is Ancient writing on it.

Vala,

Yes, thanks, I noticed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
              I'd make it in vac-formed ABS for the main casing and acrylic for the control crystals inside (since thats what they really are)

Start with a block of MDF, cut it to the right shape.. make it a little taller than it needs to be. put it in the vacuum former and thats the ABS plastic shell made (apart from cutting it down to the right height and sanding the edges smooth). It might have more detail, hard to tell from the image I found but that can be made by vac-forming additional shells and cutting out the required pieces, stacking them all together and filling the gaps with car body filler (because a model isn't a model until it has some car body filler in it) cut three slots in the top and fit the acrylic.. don't know how much detail you want, if you want to make each crystal separately or just have a single piece so it looks like they're separate.

Of course thats what I would do if I had access to a vac-former... its possible to make it all by hand, will take longer to do though. I'd still use ABS since its a good quality plastic. Cut out long and short side pieces, stick them into a rectangular shape, then stack layers of ABS onto the ends to create the curve and fill to make it smooth. Any extra detail on the sides can be cut out from ABS and stuck on and filled as neccessary. Then you just need the top piece. Cut the holes first,then cut the shape for the top... stick it on, fill the gaps and join lines, sand it smooth and spray it! Then finally fit the acrylic sheet to the inside edge... and you're done!

Unless you want to make it open.. which is a similar process really, building it all in ABS pieces.. top side, left right, detail sections... might take a while and I hope I explained it in a way that non-prop maker types can understand if not PM me and I'll try to help more.
              Wow! Thank you so much!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike272 View Post
                Does anyone have some good quality screen caps of the door sensor thing, (the blue things you wave your hand in front of), on Atlantis?

I'm looking into building a replica, so I need some good pics to base a design off of. For that matter, does anyone have any info/knowledge on building one?

Thanks,
                M!
                Try asking mgm if they have any photos from when they were making it, or any specs
                also why'll your their ask for copyright so you can acctually make it, for yourself is ok, but i know for a fact more people are gonna want one and that is frouned uppon <like that if it is for more than one peorson (or it may acctually work on if your selling them i dnt know)

but i know for a fact if you ask MGM for either some specs or some really accurate pics they might give it them to you
                Just a thought

p.s good luck with it
                p.s.s and you can wire them into doors to make them work like they do on atlantis btw
                sigpic

Comment

OK, thanks! I didn't even think about asking MGM for specs.

Comment

I have designed the electronics for the door sensor along with some additional features. It is based around my office and uses blue LED's behind perspex to give the crystal the right look.

Ultrasonic sensors detect hand movement in front of the sensor. When activated, it performs several tasks. Firstly the lights in my office are turned on followed by the computer screens and a computer (there is a 2 second delay between each for effect). It also has a key switch for emergency shutdown.

When the sensor on the door exit is activated, the screens and lights are powered down but the computer is left running.

I am considering using an additional radio transmitter that will need to be in close proximity of the sensor so that only authorized people can enter. Also, because my door is the old fashioned manual swing open type I will use an electronic latch so the sensor can unlock the door without a key.

The electronics is based around a pic processor so I can pretty much switch anything plus allow further communications between other devices so I expect this project will grow over time :-)

All I need to do now is build the actual sensor box.

I'm also building a life sized Dalek but thats a story for another forum !

Comment

oh try, joe mallozzi's blog, there are always a lot of schematic drawings on there.

Comment

Working...
                      X