Millennium - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
    I know that the Millenium fanatics generally don't love The Well Worn Lock. Not that that means anything.
    I don't mind, I liked it Very, very uncomfortable episode to watch and rather relevant given this recent insanity coming out of Austria.

If you like episodes with Catharine working, then you'll enjoy Season 2's Anamnesis. It's one of my favorite Millenium episodes and Frank's completely absent from it.
    Well, maybe not necessarily that I don't want to see Frank around....it's just nice to see Megan Gallagher playing the starring role she's credited for rather than a glorified supporting role.

I also have a big problem with stereotypical portrayal of gender/racial/etc roles so her role to that point had kind of been bothering me. That seems to have been righted now, with her taking a more visible/active role in cases in the police department. There's just a generally good 3-way dynamic between her, Frank, and Bob that's nice to see happen on screen.

I also watched Wide Open this morning, which continued this sort of positivity so that's nice. The one scene in this episode that really stands out though, is nothing plot-centric...it was the scene with Frank and Catherine sitting on their front steps in the evening just having a conversation about the changing nature of life--how Frank's parents and grandparents never locked their doors day or night, and how we've simply come to accept the necessity of locks and security systems. It was very simply shot, but great delivery from both of them and a really geniune chemistry between the two of them.

The other thing I really liked about this episode is how successfully it achieved its goals, while understating violence. Such a sharp contrast from people having eyes and mouth sewn shut, the most gruesome this one got was a white sheet over the bodies at the crime scene with some small bloody spots soaking through. But it still worked.

My only real gripe with the episode was a bit of corniness in some spots. Namely, a 'dramatic' moment where the killer for some reason finds it necessary to roll his (untinted) car window down to just below eye level to look menacingly at a sign advertising new housing. That made me cringe.

How did you like The Judge and Dead Letters? I like those much more than The Well Worn Lock.
    [b]Dead Letters[/i], I have to admit, I didn't much care for. Frank came off as completely nonchalant for the majority of the episode--hardly something you'd expect from someone investigating multiple murders. Didn't care much for the guest either, I have a hard time sitting through anything with "TC" McQueen in it.

The Judge, while also not a standout in my books, was much more watchable. I like both of the guests, both of whom I recognized from their later appearances in Deadwood. The buildup for a lot of the episode was decent, but the payoff was a bit lacking.

I can't wait until you see Lamentation. That's a great episode. Paper Dove(the season finale) is great too.
    I'll get there, I'll get there
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Millenium is so worth it!!!!!!!

I can't tell you just how much I love this show. Sometimes I think I like it better than the X-Files. It is very heavy though...very dark, very bleak(there are a few lighter moments and episodes but not many)

Frank Black is a wonderful character and Lance Henrikson is just incredible as Frank.

Millenium is really wonderfully shot and is really beautiful to look at. The music is incredible too.

Season One is great. It sets up Frank's character, his gift,his family and his situation re work. The Millenium group is introdced(Frank's liason to the group is Peter Watts...played by the super Terry O'Quinn). Peter is trying to recruit Frank. Anyway there are a lot of murder of the week stories.

Some fans were disappointed with the more mythology heavy, end of the world coming, religious, mystical bent of Season 2. Personally, I loved it. Apparently, they weren't sure about being picked up for a third season, so season 2 ended a certain way.

Then Season 3 came along(Morgan and Wong were no longer in charge) and a big reset button was pushed for some things. The third season is my least favorite, but I still love it.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just so enthusiastic about this show. It really made an impression on me. I still think about episodes and rewatch them often. So, if you like beatifully written, moving and intelligent television, Millenium is for you. If you're not keen on the very depressing and bleak, then maybe you should pass.

Here's a great Millenium site that I'm a member of.

http://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/
      I know this post is from 7 years ago, but I just came across it as I am going through X-Files for the first time and questioning whether or not I should watch millennium. Your post has persuaded my vote I will watch millennium! Thank you for your enthusiasm.

Comment

Dang...

I remember watching maybe the first season (couldn't tell you squat about it), before I think it was pulled from my then-local channel (we only had 1 commercial tv station)...

Now X Files is back in vogue, I've been considering a rewatch... but this has added more to that decision - as I should probably revisit this spinoff too! And I never did get to the Loan Gunmen...
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Working...
        X