This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status of ZPM?

What do you think the ZPMs power levels were at following the ori battle?

They sat in one place and got pounded for awhile. I would guess its almost depleted by now.
    Last edited by kymeric; 29 April 2008, 07:48 AM. Reason: oops move to AOT folder plz mods!

I doubt they'd have lost too much power, not when a ZPM can power Atlantis' shields under bombardment for a matter of days.

Comment

There's no reason to believe that it's near depleted or anything like that. They were fired at for an hour to several hours and I'm sure 10 hive ships firing at a shield the size of Atlantis's is more of a power strain than 4 Ori ships firing at a smaller sized shield of that of the Odyssey.

Vala,

Comment

Depends how powerful the Ori Beam Weapons are compared to the Wraith Hive Ships constant bombardment, complete with Drones.

Comment

I would be surprised if they are that depleted.

Doesn't Stargate command have 2 ZPMs one on one of the ships and one at the Artic outpost. The Ori never attacked earth so that ZPM shouldn't be depleted at all.
          The 5th Race A StarGate Podcast
          The 5th Race Podcast RSS Feed
          The 5th Race Podcast iTunes Feed
          You can follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jnolan
          You can follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/stargatepodcast

sigpic

Comment

yes, the odyssey got pounded in AOT, i doubt the ZPM got depleted enough to worry about cuz they also had the Asgard core power supply.
            if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

Comment

First of all, Atlantis's shield is one-of-a-kind. It is not collapsible. But it is limited to the Atlantis ZPM(s). If Odyssey has a ZPM its shields will sure last a whole lot longer, but even without, have you noticed the shields will read 50% 20% and whatnot, but they will return to 100% after a while, thats because the Asgard shields are imperfect and the shield generator is smaller than the one in Atlantis. (If Atlantis had an unlimited power source i.e. black hole it would never go down)

*And the Asgard core power source is just for the core itself (i would imagine).

So the ZPM (on Odyssey) would not be that depleted because the shields were going down not the ZPM's energy levels.
              sigpic
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign

Comment

Originally posted by Arcturus8 View Post
                First of all, Atlantis's shield is one-of-a-kind. It is not collapsible. But it is limited to the Atlantis ZPM(s). If Odyssey has a ZPM its shields will sure last a whole lot longer, but even without, have you noticed the shields will read 50% 20% and whatnot, but they will return to 100% after a while, thats because the Asgard shields are imperfect and the shield generator is smaller than the one in Atlantis. (If Atlantis had an unlimited power source i.e. black hole it would never go down)

*And the Asgard core power source is just for the core itself (i would imagine).

So the ZPM (on Odyssey) would not be that depleted because the shields were going down not the ZPM's energy levels.
                You just made that up.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  You just made that up.
                  didn't mckay say on a couple occasions that the Atlantis shields can withstand anything that is thrown at it, it's just a question of power??
                  if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

Comment

Actually the shield IS collapsible, we saw it in 'Adrift - S04E01'

The asgard computer core is equipped with its own power source - after the upgrades were done in 'Unending' the core was then incorporated into all the systems. Meaning that the ZPM and Asgard Core were both providing power to the ship.

Let me explain how shields work. You need your power source and shield generator and shield emitter (This is in terms of REAL science, plasma shields specifically) Your shield generator would create the field that surrounds the ship (the shape of the shield). The shield emitters transfer power from the power source to the shield - in this case your creating plasma.

The more plasma you have, the denser your shield is.
                    -------------

Atlantis's shield is just preset to have a denser field. This way, even if it is under heavy bombardment, the recharge rate of the shield will still be fast enough to keep the shield at full strength.

The daedalus on the other hand, has to store up alot of energy for awhile to get a fully charged shield. If however, bombardment is too intense and the generator cant keep up with the power loss, your shield strength goes down

hope that explains it

Comment

73.24%
                      Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Halzman, by collapsible i meant the density never reaches zero percent. but i see what you mean.
                        sigpic
                        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign

Comment

The writers can't seem to decide what shield strength a ZPM boosted ship receives. We've seen in "Echoes" that a ZPM plugged into the Daedalus can keep the shields up as long as there is power in the ZPM (Fending off the sun bolt which is probably thousands if not a MILLION times stronger than all the Ori beam weapon shots the Odyssey took in "The Ark of Truth), SAME as Atlantis's shield yet the Odyssey with a ZPM just seems to function as normal without the ZPM, except for longer.

I fear we have another case of "Whatever the scene calls for" just like how the gate stays open as long as the scene calls for.

Vala,

Comment

In the episode "Echoes" the Big D was taking hull damage during that.

Atlantis itsef has ten shield generators as seen in 'The return part 2'
                            McKAY: Yeah. If we plant charges in all ten of the shield emitters before the Daedalus arrives, that way when the Replicators try to activate the shield ...

WOOLSEY: ... the C4 detonates, the Daedalus beams a warhead into the city, and we all get vapourised.
                            We don't know how many shield emitters a 304 has but I would be willing to bet it is less than 10 more than likely less than 5 too.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                              In the episode "Echoes" the Big D was taking hull damage during that.

Atlantis itsef has ten shield generators as seen in 'The return part 2'

We don't know how many shield emitters a 304 has but I would be willing to bet it is less than 10 more than likely less than 5 too.
                              Whys that then? Whos to say it doesnt need more than Atlantis to sustain the shield. Afterall its nowhere near as powerful.

Comment

Working...
                              X