This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"International" Expedition

It's been gone into in quite some detail but what's the general consensus on the Forum about the balance of the "international" contingent?

It seems to me that there is a distinct lack of non-Americans on the show. We've had Grodin and Carson who were Brits, a Czech (Radek), a Chinese technician, a couple of Euro-troops. Besides Rodney and Chuck-nician, it's almost exclusively American otherwise.

A bit disappointing in my humble opinion.

And it'd also be nice to have GENUINE nationals portraying their nations. I mean David Hewlett is a Brit, why was he pitched as a Canadian? I know the ball was rolling on that one back when he appeared on SG1 all those years back, but.....

Discuss...?

It's trek-syndrome all over again.

remember in Star Trek, 4 out of the 5 greatest captains were American, and Starfleet wasn't even an earthbound organisation.
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

It's disappointing I agree, it would be good if some of the all female team weren't American but I aren't holding out much hope.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
        It's trek-syndrome all over again.

remember in Star Trek, 4 out of the 5 greatest captains were American, and Starfleet wasn't even an earthbound organisation.
        Yes, but the greatest one was Fench (and played by a Brit)

Comment

I didn't know Sisko was a French name....

Comment

Originally posted by The Suicidal Goldfish View Post
            I didn't know Sisko was a French name....
            Aww, I think you're getting your captains all mixed up

Anyway, where's that topic gone?

Comment

i've seen a german soldier on atlantis. Also, America is kind of the Superpower in both the world and Stargate Ops. It's not at all surprising that most personell are supposedly American

Comment

Originally posted by Korean_Turtle87 View Post
                ...America is kind of the Superpower in the world...
                That's what the US likes to believe, yes. Doesn't mean they should do the same in what is supposed to be an INTERNATIONAL expedition.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The fact of the matter is that, judging by real world International thingys, America would almost certainly be supplying the vast majority of funding to the expedition, and so likely have a proportional amount of influence.

Comment

Originally posted by rielgenius1688 View Post
                    The fact of the matter is that, judging by real world International thingys, America would almost certainly be supplying the vast majority of funding to the expedition, and so likely have a proportional amount of influence.
                    And that means that all the main characters have to be US-citizens? Or the majority anyway.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

it also depends on the resources the other countries are willing to commit to such an expedition
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Why would they? The EU has a bigger economy than the US but there are no where near as many Europeans as there are Americans...

Comment

Originally posted by The Suicidal Goldfish View Post
                          It's been gone into in quite some detail but what's the general consensus on the Forum about the balance of the "international" contingent?

It seems to me that there is a distinct lack of non-Americans on the show. We've had Grodin and Carson who were Brits, a Czech (Radek), a Chinese technician, a couple of Euro-troops. Besides Rodney and Chuck-nician, it's almost exclusively American otherwise.

A bit disappointing in my humble opinion.

And it'd also be nice to have GENUINE nationals portraying their nations. I mean David Hewlett is a Brit, why was he pitched as a Canadian? I know the ball was rolling on that one back when he appeared on SG1 all those years back, but.....

Discuss...?
                          David' Hewlett's a Canadian... he was PITCHED as a Canadian because that's who he is.
                          These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            Why would they? The EU has a bigger economy than the US but there are no where near as many Europeans as there are Americans...
                            Why do you say they would provide more funding? Are there any examples where the EU has out spent the US on something with potential military or space applications? Furthermore, the US funds the SGC to run the Stargate, what was it $6 billion just to keep the lights on? And the US is the only nation that has spaceships that can reach Atlantis. The Russian ship (actually U.S. funded and built ship) was destroyed. My point is without the US there is no expedition at all and being that the US has spend money and lives over the past decade obtaining these technologies and locating Atlantis it would make sense they the US have a bigger representation.

Comment

Originally posted by JRDTECH View Post
                              Why do you say they would provide more funding? Are there any examples where the EU has out spent the US on something with potential military or space applications? Furthermore, the US funds the SGC to run the Stargate, what was it $6 billion just to keep the lights on? And the US is the only nation that has spaceships that can reach Atlantis. The Russian ship (actually U.S. funded and built ship) was destroyed. My point is without the US there is no expedition at all and being that the US has spend money and lives over the past decade obtaining these technologies and locating Atlantis it would make sense they the US have a bigger representation.
                              Yes but the Americans obtained those things by stealing the Stargate from the Germans who also stole it from Egypt. You cant say it is America's technology as they only got that technology by using a allien device which they kepted hidden from the rest of the world.

As for your funding comment why would the EU want to spend billions of dollars on a pointless space programme (im talking real world here) when essentially all they will be doing is sending afew men and women into orbit. Its a complete waste of money which could be used for better things. Now compare that to the Stargate Universe where im sure the EU countries would be willing to spend huge amounts of money to build intergalactic warships and would certaonly pay their fair share for the Atlantis Exhibition as that would have tangible rewards of obtaining advanced allien technology.

Comment

Working...
                              X