This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The global rice crisis

My country's been hit by the global rice shortages, in a way that's going to be very painful to my wallet. Supermarket chains and even some smaller grocery stores are limiting rice purchases to three packs per person, and prices are expected to rise up to 70% in a matter of days. This is bad.

Anybody else's been affected?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Wow, that sucks. IDK about ours, i heard about it on the news and saw that Sam's Club is limiting it to 4 bags per person. I'm not sure about prices tho.
    sigpic
    Thanks to WingedPegasus and myself for the sigs, and to Myn for the userbar.

Comment

Originally posted by PrioroftheOri View Post
      Wow, that sucks. IDK about ours, i heard about it on the news and saw that Sam's Club is limiting it to 4 bags per person. I'm not sure about prices tho.
      yes, that's 80 pounds of rice. damn.
      wait to blow it out of proportion. it barely even qualifies as a news story.
      sigpic
      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

damn, that means no more rice and chicken for me
        sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

hahaha rice

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
            He is likely talking about much smaller packages than 2 pound bags.

Does it qualify as a news story? If it doesn't yet, give it a few days. We are talking about skyrocketing prices to one of the most basic foods. It's going to drag up food prices in general- meat and milk first and foremost, but also potato, and wheat, and everything else. It's a rising tidal wave of a major global crisis.

Did you know there are already huge riots going on in many countries over food prices? Philippines, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Egypt, Haiti. Governments will fall over it and wars will break out. Headline worthy? You bet.

The worst thing about it is that it is the policies of irresponsible humanitarians and ecologists that are responsible. A full 20% of global corn and rapeseed output is being diverted from food to biofuel production. It is the scam of the 21 century- pay more, reduce your mileage and make other people starve as an added bonus. Then, of course, there's the silly do-gooders obsessed with giving free food to the poor in the Third world countries. Local farmers cannot compete with free handouts, so they go out of business and the global food production suffers.
            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

The unexpected result of ethanol production.

Something has got to be done about this. It's already starting to happen in the U.S. Rising cost of fuel and ethanol production are causing food prices to go up all over.
              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                Maybe not in the tabloids, but read a broadsheet and once you get a dozen pages in, the World News section begins. At this point, it becomes a news story, on account of the many thousands who have been tipped from poor to impoverished, or from impoverished to starving, due to dramatic increases in the cost of their staple food.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                X