Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Song of Ice and Fire appreciation/discussion thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Song of Ice and Fire appreciation/discussion thread!

Hopefully this thread hasn't been made, hard to get an accurate search with the minimum of four letters per word.....

Any other fans of this series out there? Who is your favourite POV?

Mine is Brienne, and I hope she lives after A Feast For Crows.....

I've been meaning to read the series, but with so many others on my list...

How many books does the series span so far? In your opinion, how does this match up to some of the other great pieces of fantasy?

I guess this means I don't have a favorite POV.

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
      I've been meaning to read the series, but with so many others on my list...

How many books does the series span so far? In your opinion, how does this match up to some of the other great pieces of fantasy?

I guess this means I don't have a favorite POV.
      Forget the list. Go straight to this one.

Four books of seven so far (originally six, but the fourth/fifth book was going to be so big - I read somewhere that it was estimated at 1600-2000 pages - that the publisher refused to print it, so it was split and re-written), the fifth hopefully coming this fall. And it blows all other fantasy out of the water (yes, even LotR, which I love).

This series is probably the best thing I have ever read. Especially the third book (A Storm of Swords), which is longer than the entire LotR trilogy put together, and is an absolute masterpiece.

It's so good that even though I only finished reading the fourth one about a month ago, I've already started buying my own copies and reading the series from the beginning again.....

I knew stashing away those Christmas gift cards would pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        Forget the list. Go straight to this one.
        I don't know about that; my list is pretty good.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
        And it blows all other fantasy out of the water (yes, even LotR, which I love).
        Lies. I don't think anything will beat LotR, WoT, MB... Maybe a close fourth.

This series is probably the best thing I have ever read. Especially the third book (A Storm of Swords), which is longer than the entire LotR trilogy put together, and is an absolute masterpiece.
        Heh. I thought you were to trying to encourage me to read this ... you really think I can carry that monster home?

Comment

I don't know about that; my list is pretty good.
          How do you know if you haven't read it yet.
          Lies. I don't think anything will beat LotR, WoT, MB... Maybe a close fourth.
          I'm hesitant to start Wheel of Time now (which I was going to before I read this series, but I was convinced to read this first (by a fan of both) for which I am EXTREMELY glad). Thing is, everything else just pales in comparison now.....Martin's writing/plotting/characters are superb. Second to none, I promise.
          Heh. I thought you were to trying to encourage me to read this ... you really think I can carry that monster home?
          I carried the paperback in my bag everywhere I went while I was reading it. Weight/size, not an excuse. What are a few extra pounds (not even) compared to gaining the wisdom that the words hold?

Comment

How do you know if you haven't read it yet.
            Because I have read WoT -- it is that incredible. I'm only fairly confident about the others.

I'm hesitant to start Wheel of Time now (which I was going to before I read this series, but I was convinced to read this first for which I am EXTREMELY glad). Thing is, everything else just pales in comparison now.....Martin's writing/plotting/characters are superb. Second to none, I promise.
            Second to WoT.

Which you shouldn't start reading now. WoT isn't just about the heroes; it's about the world. There's so many characters, foreshadowing books in advance, intricate plots, it'll be too hard to keep up with, I think. Jordan is the master of all.

But, that said, with such a shining recommendation, this might be moving up my list a little, somewhere around second.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl
            I carried the paperback in my bag everywhere I went while I was reading it. Weight/size, not an excuse. What are a few extra pounds (not even) compared to gaining the wisdom that the words hold?
            I'm hesitant to ask how big the bag was...

Comment

Second to WoT.

Which you shouldn't start reading now. WoT isn't just about the heroes; it's about the world. There's so many characters, foreshadowing books in advance, intricate plots, it'll be too hard to keep up with, I think. Jordan is the master of all.

But, that said, with such a shining recommendation, this might be moving up my list a little, somewhere around second.
              I was recommended this by a Wheel of Time fan. But she told me to read this series first because it's the best thing she's ever read- and this is coming from a librarian!

And you don't know complicated plots/massive cast of complex characters/foreshadowing books down the line until you've read Ice and Fire. I guarantee. And Martin makes it look so frakking elegant!

Second to what?
              I'm hesitant to ask how big the bag was...
              Not that big. Paperback book = compact enough to carry. No matter how many pages.

Comment

I was recommended this by a Wheel of Time fan. But she told me to read this series first because it's the best thing she's ever read- and this is coming from a librarian!
                Well I'll be a published author soon. That has to count for something.

And you don't know complicated plots/massive cast of complex characters/foreshadowing books down the line until you've read Ice and Fire. I guarantee. And Martin makes it look so frakking elegant!
                And Robert Jordan doesn't? Trust me, Jordan could leave your head spinning round for days with the most unimaginable thing foreshadowing something books down the line. (This without giving away spoilers, which isn't so easy.)

Second to what?
                The Wheel of Time. Haven't I mentioned that yet?

In all seriousness, I don't think this is going to be resolved until we've both read the other series. Of course, I'm always right, so I don't imagine being wrong here.

Not that big. Paperback book = compact enough to carry. No matter how many pages.
                I was thinking purse. Or should I have been thinking backpack? With you dragging it down the street...

Comment

Well I'll be a published author soon. That has to count for something.
                  In seriousness?
                  And Robert Jordan doesn't? Trust me, Jordan could leave your head spinning round for days with the most unimaginable thing foreshadowing something books down the line. (This without giving away spoilers, which isn't so easy.)
                  Upping the head spinning timeline to months, hehe.
                  In all seriousness, I don't think this is going to be resolved until we've both read the other series. Of course, I'm always right, so I don't imagine being wrong here.
                  Nah, when it comes to books, I can't be wrong. I'll read it, be proven right.
                  I was thinking purse. Or should I have been thinking backpack? With you dragging it down the street...
                  Try something in between, shoulder bag (not much bigger than a purse). No dragging.

Comment

In seriousness?
                    Hopefully. Making some revisions/rewriting/editing to my novel, then send it out, and...back to hopefully.

Upping the head spinning timeline to months, hehe.
                    Years then. Beat that.

No, no, forever. Just so you can't beat me.

Nah, when it comes to books, I can't be wrong. I'll read it, be proven right.
                    I have a suggestion. We consider these two great works equal.

No, for real.

Try something in between, shoulder bag (not much bigger than a purse). No dragging.
                    Ah, very clever. Make your boyfriend lug it.

Comment

Hopefully. Making some revisions/rewriting/editing to my novel, then send it out, and...back to hopefully.
                      Congrats on finishing it then!
                      Years then. Beat that.

No, no, forever. Just so you can't beat me.
                      Forever and then time travel back to the beginning of the universe. Making my forever longer.
                      I have a suggestion. We consider these two great works equal.

No, for real.
                      Seems the solution, doesn't it.
                      Ah, very clever. Make your boyfriend lug it.
                      I'm not a wimp.

Comment

Congrats on finishing it then!
                        Might take a long while for it to be finished. I'm lazy (sorta). And in college.

Forever and then time travel back to the beginning of the universe. Making my forever longer.
                        I'll forever your forever by the same means.

Seems the solution, doesn't it.
                        Unless you want to go on like this forever.

I'm not a wimp.
                        Translation: I don't have a boyfriend.

Comment

I'll forever your forever by the same means.

Unless you want to go on like this forever.
                          I yawn at the thought, when I already know that my victory is a foregone conclusion.

Translation: I don't have a boyfriend.
                          Indeed I do not. But no one carries my stuff for me, regardless. If I'm going to pack a brick of a book, I'm sure as hell going to carry it. I could make some grand pretentious statement on the poetry of carrying books as words/burdens/etc. But that would just be silly and nonsensical.

Comment

I yawn at the thought, when I already know that my victory is a foregone conclusion.
                            Yeah, probably. I have to hit the sack soon. NFL Draft tomorrow. Priorities and all.

Indeed I do not. But no one carries my stuff for me, regardless. If I'm going to pack a brick of a book, I'm sure as hell going to carry it. I could make some grand pretentious statement on the poetry of carrying books as words/burdens/etc. But that would just be silly and nonsensical.
                            Damn. I'm not sure I can even make a joke out of this one. I must be tired.

I suppose then, with that, I shall retire, take my leave, what have you.

BTW, Wheel of Time is better.

Comment

Yeah, probably. I have to hit the sack soon. NFL Draft tomorrow. Priorities and all.

Damn. I'm not sure I can even make a joke out of this one. I must be tired.

I suppose then, with that, I shall retire, take my leave, what have you.

BTW, Wheel of Time is better.
                              I said it was nonsensical.....

I'll refrain from getting in the last word on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X