Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gattaca!!!! I can't believe I forgot about Gattaca. It's a classic. No question. Though the sci-fi's just plain weird in places - they wear suits to Jupiter????, so much about that film is great. It has a good story-line, it has some great cinematography, it has Uma Thurman, it has Jude Law and Ethan Hawke, it has an inspiring message of determination conquers all - what's not to love about that film?

Another one for the "will-be-a-classic-in-a-few-more-years" list is probably "Minority Report". I liked that. And since we're on the subject... you mentioned Blade Runner, I mentioned Minority Report, both of which were written by Phillip K. Dick whose greatest book in my opinion is "The man in the high castle" (possibly my favourite book ever). Does anyone know if a film was made of that?
    sum ergo cogitum
    I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
      Another one for the "will-be-a-classic-in-a-few-more-years" list is probably "Minority Report". I liked that. And since we're on the subject... you mentioned Blade Runner, I mentioned Minority Report, both of which were written by Phillip K. Dick whose greatest book in my opinion is "The man in the high castle" (possibly my favourite book ever).
      I was thinking about mentioning "Minority Report" but I have only watched it once. I think I'll wait till it's on TV and then decide whether it's really that great (several movies fail that point when I watch them a second time).

And I've read "The man in the high castle". I'm used to highlighting all the good sentences with a pen, and this book is... well, it's all highlighted in blue. Great ideas in that book

Originally posted by Champos
      Does anyone know if a film was made of that?
      I've read an interesting portrait about P.K. Dick and his books/subsequent movies on http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.12/philip.html

and on page seven, there is a list about all (or only a few, I don't know) movies based on books by him. "TMitHC" wasn't meantioned there.
      No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
      (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Oooo, CUBE! Yes, absolutely! And shame on me for forgetting a David Hewlett movie!

And speaking of David, I highly recommend Cypher. His role in it isn't very big, but the movie itself is another great mind-bender from Vincenzo Natali (the Cube dude). For very irritating reasons, it's only available in R3 at the moment, but it's worth the $$ to buy it on eBay and watch it in your DVD drive or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka
          I've read an interesting portrait about P.K. Dick and his books/subsequent movies on http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.12/philip.html

and on page seven, there is a list about all (or only a few, I don't know) movies based on books by him. "TMitHC" wasn't meantioned there.
          Thanks for that, that was an interesting article. I hadn't realised that Screamers was one of his. Not a great film, but it had its merits. Especially the discovery at the end. Nice touch that.
          sum ergo cogitum
          I am therefore I think.

Comment

Working...
          X