This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci Fi fraks over BSG fans in early episode "preview"

For the past few weeks, SciFi.com has been giving viewers an early look at that week's episode, online. The first and second episodes were shown only at noon Eastern, while the third (last week) was shown every hour throughout the morning and afternoon. In all cases, you couldn't rewind or pause the feed, and there are short commercials throughout. This was fantastic for fans eager to see the episode early -- until today, that is.

Sci Fi's website promised a noon "preview" of tonight's episode, which to most meant would be the same, full-episode preview we've been seeing this season. Instead, viewers got the shaft after about 20 minutes of the episode airing, including ending the viewing with a commercial.

The SciFi.com forums are obviously abuzz with pissed-off fans, some saying they won't bother to tune in tonight, just to show their anger toward Sci Fi. I'm definitely disappointed at the virtual blue-balls Sci Fi gave us with this episode, but I'll be damned if I'm not tuning in tonight. I just hope that, in the future, viewers will get a little more warning instead of planning full lunch breaks around this.

Unfortunately for me (and readers), this means my review will be up all the later tonight. Anyone else feel shafted by what Sci Fi pulled?
    http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/04/25/sc...isode-preview/
    boooo scifi really likes screwing over their viewers. just about every board i went to ppl were pissed about this. lots of ppl wanting to boycott scifi chan. lots unable to watch it. then of course there's ones who are now more likely to go thru illegal means to watch it instead of looking at the chan. should be interesting to see what the ratings will be tonight. will the frak job push ratings even lower with pissed off fans or willl the supposed 1000s of fans, who usually watch it online bring it back up?

and as an extra bonus scifi doublefraked us over because theyre not putting up the podcats.

Yes...everyone on every forum I've been to is highly pissed off. The only silver lining I can see is at least they did it with this episode and not one of the others. This episode was shaping up to be a real yawner in my opinion. Maybe the last half will be better.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure why people feel entitled to the free showing Skiffy put up on their site. It was a gift, people, and there was warning (at least on AICN) that last week was more than likely the last full episode to be put up early.

I'm also not sure what boycotting the station tonight's going to do, either. Yes, it's brilliant - let's make the low ratings for the show we love lower. BRILLIANT!

Sorry for my cynicism. I get enough of spoiled people when I go to campus, which I'm gearing up to do shortly.
      Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
      sigpic

Comment

Are you kidding...all this because some folks can't wait to see the show with
        the rest of us?.....

Gonna record the eppy anyway.....
        Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

lol well i doubt its only that. alot of ppl liked watching the ep early instead of late at nite. others couldnt watch it at all late at nite, others cant get scifi even tho they have cable, then theres the non cable online only following? college peeps peeps at work, and on and on and on. scifi never really revealed how many ppl viewed it early the last couple of weeks compared to watching it on tv. but it is funny how quickly the scifi.com, intel, and other boards became flooded after the cutoff of the episode. and also how is it scifi can put up this crap but not put up podcasts? i mean really. even with this supposed 20 min episode preview or whatever. it was around 100 megs on high bandwidth. now you're telling me they can put 100 meg previews of eps up. but not podcasts???
          Last edited by daniel9; 25 April 2008, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Ok lets get this straight people are pissed off because they can't see the episode early. It was a gift, how about growing up?

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
              Ok lets get this straight people are pissed off because they can't see the episode early. It was a gift, how about growing up?
              They are mad because the episode was cut off after 20 minutes with no advanced warning. People were expecting to be able to watch the entire episode just like they had been able to in past weeks. I doubt that there would have been as much of an uproar if Sci Fi had simply stated that they would only be airing a portion of the episode instead of the whole thing. They didn't do that. A little more communication form Sci Fi would have avoided any misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Berg417448 View Post
                They are mad because the episode was cut off after 20 minutes with no advanced warning. People were expecting to be able to watch the entire episode just like they had been able to in past weeks. I doubt that there would have been as much of an uproar if Sci Fi had simply stated that they would only be airing a portion of the episode instead of the whole thing. They didn't do that. A little more communication form Sci Fi would have avoided any misunderstanding.
                Well I suppose I can understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
                  I'm not entirely sure why people feel entitled to the free showing Skiffy put up on their site. It was a gift, people, and there was warning (at least on AICN) that last week was more than likely the last full episode to be put up early.

I'm also not sure what boycotting the station tonight's going to do, either. Yes, it's brilliant - let's make the low ratings for the show we love lower. BRILLIANT!

Sorry for my cynicism. I get enough of spoiled people when I go to campus, which I'm gearing up to do shortly.
                  The hilarious thing is that anyone thinks that these people "boycotting" the episode will affect the ratings at all anyway.

Boycott if you like guys, it's won't make a whit of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    The hilarious thing is that anyone thinks that these people "boycotting" the episode will affect the ratings at all anyway.

Boycott if you like guys, it's won't make a whit of difference.
                    this is the last season so it doesn't rally matter

i always wait for the 10PM airing here in America ... i can always rewatch it on comcast on demand for a whole month
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

So a bunch of American fans of a cable series, are whining about not being able to watch an internationally critically acclaimed show a few hours early on the internet? Holy frak, watch out Sci Fi

Buncha self-important whiners, honestly.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        this is the last season so it doesn't rally matter

i always wait for the 10PM airing here in America ... i can always rewatch it on comcast on demand for a whole month
                        I watch it live.....I record on vcr.....and I aquire. That way I'm covered if the tape breaks on re-watching or I miss a scene or whatever.....which I did tonight, but I'll ask for a re-cap of said scene in the official discussion thread when it opens.

Comment

Hey now! The people boycotting may well be the four Nielson suckers of the week who watch.
                          Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Snow View Post
                            Hey now! The people boycotting may well be the four Nielson suckers of the week who watch.
                            I'd love to see those odds.

Comment

Sci-Fi does offer it in full online after it airs in case you couldn't stay up that late, had a VCR malfunction, don't have the SCIFI channel, etc.
                              http://www.scifi.com/rewind/
                              But, I guess patience is no longer a virtue.

FYI - It's usually "sponsored" and has a few commercial pauses, but not nearly as many as watching it live. It's free and legal. Is it USA only? I'm not sure.

I usually catch the episode Saturday morning with my cup of coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X