This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What name for the S/J Ship thread?

We had a vote on what to do with the S/J Ship Discussion thread. The results can be found HERE .

If you look at the graph, Option 1 and Option 5 are almost identical, the main difference being the name. Since nearly as many people voted on Option 1 as voted on Option 5, it seems to indicate that there is a certain amount of popularity for naming the thread S/J Ship Family.

So, this poll is to see if people would like to see the name of the thread changed. Cast your vote now - the poll will be open for the next three days, since a lot of people don't have internet access over the weekend.
    It should be renamed the S/J Ship Family thread
    48.08%
    No change please, keep the name Sam/Jack Shippers Thread
    51.92%

The poll is expired.

sigpic

Having got to know folks in the Ship thread over the last few days, and having talked to so many of you, I feel that the real issue here isn't having more than one ship thread.

What people are most passionate about is the Ship Family community they have going here at GateWorld.

Where conflict and negativity has arisen in the thread in the past has been with people wanting to talk ship, but not necessarily wanting to be within that Ship Family Community.

It seems to me that the perfect way to make sure that this matter doesn't continue to raise it's head is to rename the thread The S/J Ship Family. It is unambiguous, states exactly what the thread is about, and should indicate to newbies clearly what the thread is all about. No more confusion.

It also allows shippers who might in the future want more than one ship thread to do so, without it fragmenting or dividing the Ship Family in anyway.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts as an outsider!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
      Having got to know folks in the Ship thread over the last few days, and having talked to so many of you, I feel that the real issue here isn't having more than one ship thread.

What people are most passionate about is the Ship Family community they have going here at GateWorld.

Where conflict and negativity has arisen in the thread in the past has been with people wanting to talk ship, but not necessarily wanting to be within that Ship Family Community.

It seems to me that the perfect way to make sure that this matter doesn't continue to raise it's head is to rename the thread The S/J Ship Family. It is unambiguous, states exactly what the thread is about, and should indicate to newbies clearly what the thread is all about. No more confusion.

It also allows shippers who might in the future want more than one ship thread to do so, without it fragmenting or dividing the Ship Family in anyway.

Thanks Gipsy.. for all your efforts

Going to vote for Ship Family Thread.

Oooh you're about to turn 1000!

Comment

WOO HOO Gategipsy!!!

I've voted for the family thread.
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
          Thanks Gipsy.. for all your efforts

Going to vote for Ship Family Thread.

Oooh you're about to turn 1000!
          And now I have! Woo hoo. Thanks for pointing that out.

**slaps hand for going off topic**
          sigpic

Comment

Gipsy, we don't deserve you. (or our other mod moms) You have the patience of a saint and have been extremely understanding given the stupidity of some of us shippers (uh, primarily that would be ME) with regard to the 2 threads...
            I was going to say that as a rep point but apparently I have to spread some around before giving some to you...

Comment

Thanks Lunar, but you don't need to take the blame! The responsibility is all mine. See I've replaced by big hefty hobnailed boots with carpet slippers. Maybe I'll be able to tread more softly and not on as many toes this way!
              sigpic

Comment

I think we should mention "shipper " in the title or it may scare the Newbies big time.

Caty

Comment

Do you think? I didn't think there was much difference between Ship and Shipper ie S/J Shipper Family. What do other's think?
                  sigpic

Comment

I've voted no change, but will be quite happy with either name.

As far as ship/shipper, both are good. (although I recently clicked on a thread asking about peoples favourite ship, only to discover they meant SPACEships, not relationships! Boy, did I feel foolish!)
                    sigpic

Comment

My problem with renaming it the Ship Family thread is that that sounds exclusive. Anything that seems to reference a pre-established group of people is going to scare off newbies, I think. Leaving the name as it is suggests that it's open to all S/J shippers.

Gate Gipsy, despite what you've said, I think that calling it the "ship family" thread is going to cause more confusion. It sounds like it's a thread only for fluff and not for real discussion. And trust me — when there's new stuff to discuss, we really discuss it!

I'm relatively new to this fandom, but not to online fandom in general, and seriously, if I were new to GW and saw a thread called "ship family", I'd wonder what these people are smoking. And this comes even with knowing most of the general fandom lingo like ship and shipper. "Ship family" is a phrase unique to this group of people, from what I've seen in the other fandoms in which I've been involved. To a newbie, there's nothing clear and unambiguous about it.

I don't think the OT thing is going to be solved by a thread name. It happens occasionally — we're human beings, we digress. This issue has come up before, and the solution basically boils down to people needing to be more considerate in their posting. And if some people really want to have a "serious", non-community thread for S/J, why not let them, regardless of what the poll said? It's clear that some people are unhappy with the way things are run now, so if they want to try a "serious" thread, I say let them. I also say that it'll be dead before January, but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: And if there is a "serious" discussion thread, I think it shouldn't fall under the no-anti posting rule we've had at the current thread. If people really want a "serious" discussion of S/J, then opposing views should be welcomed and discussed as well.

Mel
                      Last edited by Melyanna; 29 October 2004, 04:02 AM. Reason: Can't spell, can't remember everything I was going to say
                      Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                      Last update: 14 April 2006
                      Melyanna's Multimedia
                      Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

I don't think it sounds exclusive - there are no exclusive threads in GW in that they are all public. If anyone wonders what the thread is about, and why on earth it has that name, the first thing they'll do is go in there and have a look.

And when they do they'll either see something they like or they won't. It won't take long for them to get a flavour of the place and, most likely, drawn in to it.

But it also means that the people who don't want to have the light hearted Ship banter could start a different ship thread if they wanted to. At the moment, with the title of the thread the way it is, no-one has any choice. If they want to talk Ship on GateWorld, they have to join the one single thread that we have. And it is the Ship Family thread, regardless of whether you want to call it that in the title or not. Nearly every post mentions the Ship Family in some way, either in the post or in a sig.
                        Last edited by GateGipsy; 29 October 2004, 04:31 AM. Reason: for spelling
                        sigpic

Comment

Do you think? I didn't think there was much difference between Ship and Shipper ie S/J Shipper Family. What do other's think?

"Ship"is fine ..I didn't see it first time round ..I thought it was the S/J family thread but now that I see the S/J ship family thread ....it's OK ..we want the newbies to join and be part of the ship family

Caty

Comment

I've noticed that too . Not all J/S Shippers want the "meta discussion",due to pressure of time,and other reasons.They deserve the choice,IMO.
                            Clarity is the key word here.
                            Otherwise known as freedom of choice. One of GW's biggest strengths....and also in full accordance with the rules.

Nothing wrong with your thinking,IMO. I know this is a cliche,but "the onlooker sees most of the game" !
                            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                              EDIT: And if there is a "serious" discussion thread, I think it shouldn't fall under the no-anti posting rule we've had at the current thread. If people really want a "serious" discussion of S/J, then opposing views should be welcomed and discussed as well.

Mel
                              Mel....

There IS a thread already for just this discussion...It is called the Ship Discussion Thread and is for ALL Pro/Anti Ship Discussion in a friendly yet lively manner.....So if that is what you are looking for well GW has already done that

Just do a search of the Forum OR I am sure someone can provide a link for you and other that want to have a Debate with the Anti Shippers.

Edit - found the link http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=88
                              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                              X