• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midnight (3010/410)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 30
    MIDNIGHT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3010

Trapped with a group of tourists on the planet Midnight, the Doctor discovers that something is alive where nothing should be able to live -- and it's coming right for them.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:50 PM.

That was really atmospheric. It felt like it could have been an episode of a '70s or an '80s SF show, but for once I mean that in a good way.

Great acting from all, especially Carole-from-Eastenders and her son.

Madeleine

Comment

Why is it always the episodes I expect to be rather boring that turn out to be the best? I had that last year with Blink and like last year this completely blew me away, has the writer of this written any other episodes?

This was brilliant, despite the fact that it was very obviously filler (only three sets) it really showed what can be done on a relatively small budget. Definitely the highlight of this season so far, if not the entirety of New Who's run.

The darkness of this episode was very surprising given that it was set on a holiday planet. When they started discussing throwing people off the ship it was disturbingly believable and it's moments like that that make me feel very ashamed of humanity.

Onto Arc words and there was a lot this week. The Medusa Cascade and more obsession over the Doctor's name than perhaps any other episode this season. I fully reckon that someone will find it out at the end of this series even if the viewers don't, there's no way there would be this build up without it. The Rose appearance was very similar to the one way back in the Poison Sky but still cool, once again my dad completely failed to notice it despite the entire rest of the family squeeing.

Comment

Great episode, especially for RTD. Terrifying too.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Hmmmm very Meh compared to the last couple, but not too bad to be honest, there are definatly worse episodes.

Next weeks episode looks immense though.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
            ... has the writer of this written any other episodes?
            It was RTD wasn't it? I think he's written over 20 other episodes including all the season openers and finales.

Comment

It seemed so short
              Originally posted by Craig Charles
              "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Now that was a rarity for RTD; an episode that was perfectly paced for forty-five minutes. You couldn't have drawn that one out longer, where normally the last few minutes feels horribly rushed. Good stuff.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

It was just awesome... Utterly atmospheric and plain terrifying mostly because of how easily the Humans on the shuttle changed from likable people into the kind of people who would throw someone out of a airlock because they don't understand them.

Bravo to RTD for honestly depicting Human Nature.... its new its different..... KILL IT. I wish it wasn't true but it is sadly.
                  A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Very well thought out
                    One of those ones where you think.. Whats going to happen next
                    Good acting all round
                    Another good episode from RTD

Comment

Originally posted by Bob790 View Post
                      It was RTD wasn't it? I think he's written over 20 other episodes including all the season openers and finales.
                      Was it? I'm very impressed, he has done good ones before but nothing of this calliber.

Comment

1. Usually the intro sets up the threat - here it sets up the fact that the Doctor's running solo. OK change

2. Airline cliches, meh - at least they could have made the "clasic Earth music" more familiar.

3. Once the actual attack starts...then it gets freaky. The Doctor's out of commision and he's counting on "this bunch" to save him?

4. "Don't...just, don't". Says it all, takes a lot to freak out the Doctor.

OK, but not exactly the best ep of the season!
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

*Note to self. Never watch the creepiest episode of Dr Who ever before going to bed*

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                          That was really atmospheric. It felt like it could have been an episode of a '70s or an '80s SF show, but for once I mean that in a good way.

Great acting from all, especially Carole-from-Eastenders and her son.
                          Ah, so that's who it was, it was bugging me. The Professer bugged me too, for a while then I pieced it together and squealed "It's David Troughton, it's David Troughton!!!!"

Anyway on to important things, me, that was the creepiest thing I've seen on TV since Blink and why can't RTD write stuff like this all the time, why wait until he's leaving to give us his best stuff. Yes it does show the worst side of humanity and that's not comforting, the baying mob freaked me out a little, seen scenes like that here on GW and across other internet boards and, to my shame, I have been part of that mob and that is proabably why I got sucked in, it's so easy to give into your fears and let them take over. All in all, this was fecking excellent TV, showing humanity at it's worst and scaring the crap out of you at the same time. I shall be searching under the bed and behind the settee for many a day.

As for next week

Spoiler:
                          ing hell I don't know what to make of it yet but it's going to be one hell of a ride, what is on Donna's back? and is she going to be another Adric?

Comment

That was very good. Very atmospheric and tense, and pretty dark in places.

David was great, especially in the scene at the back of the truck.

The guest cast were all very good. The episode could have been let down by a weak guest actor or two, but they all did a good job. And David Troughton really does look like a bald version of his father.

Originally posted by The_Carpenter
                            Bravo to RTD for honestly depicting Human Nature.... its new its different..... KILL IT. I wish it wasn't true but it is sadly.
                            Indeed...

Anyway, next week:
                            Spoiler:
                            Planet of the Spiders, anyone...?

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              ing hell I don't know what to make of it yet but it's going to be one hell of a ride, what is on Donna's back? and is she going to be another Adric?
                              I still reckon the RTD is doing like what he did for Doomsday, remember how convinced we all were that Rose would die?

Comment

Working...
                              X