• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silence In the Library (3008/408)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 30
    SILENCE IN THE LIBRARY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3008

The Doctor and Donna find the largest library in the universe empty, and a group of explorers led by a woman with an inexplicable familiarity with the Doctor.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:50 PM.

I was almost scared of looking forward to this one because SM's previous three stories had been so brilliant that I was almost certain to be disappointed. From what i've just seen it turns out I needn't have worried: even if it's not as good as the others (that *is* an if - I won't know till it's concluded) it can be his worst to date and still be amazing.

The concept is a neat one. Shadows - urgh, I have one of them! I can't avoid it like I could the stone statues, or venetian masks or gas masks

I liked Miss Evangelista and Other Dave, and I'm very intrigued by River Song. I suppose that's the idea. I wonder if she'll be a proper actual companion ever?

The stuff with the little girl is just weird. The little actor impressed, especially when she was told that reality was not real and her nightmare was. That Doctor Moon - is he a part of her psyche, or does he come from somewhere else, part of the library or something?

The concept of ghosting is well creepy. Like Donna said, really horrible. So sad. But a pretty effective way of making the suited swarm even creepier.

Some nice touches here and there. Another 'little shop' ... Big wave at fandom: NO SPOILERS ... DonnaDoctor's synchronised contract-ripping ... "I'm a time traveller, I point and laugh at archaeologists" ... The "this has been filtered for decency" rider to the final message - "for god's sake run" was probably a paraphrasing of, er, something else

My offspring are refusing to let me leave the room next to theirs and go downstairs, in case a skeleton in a space suit comes to get them. I've had to let them go to sleep with the light on for the first time ever.

Madeleine

Comment

I really enjoyed that episode, creatures that live in shadows and eat anything is just great. I wonder is River Song will be a companion for next season or i think she is actually...
      Spoiler:
      Capitan Jack or Martha Jones because in the trailer for next weeks episode she said they have been to the end of the universe together.

Comment

Originally posted by Iratus View Post
        I really enjoyed that episode, creatures that live in shadows and eat anything is just great. I wonder is River Song will be a companion for next season or i think she is actually...
        Spoiler:
        Capitan Jack or Martha Jones because in the trailer for next weeks episode she said they have been to the end of the universe together.
        Yah, but wouldn't she then:
        Spoiler:
        recognize Donna? Because Martha has met Donna and I'm willing to bet Jack knows something about her.

I like River Song. It'll be interesting to see who she turns out to be. Did she grab the Doctor's hand when running? I thought I saw that for a moment. She seems to know the Doctor very well, especially if he's giving her a sonic screwdriver, and she obviously was crushed when he didn't recognize her. Of course, the fact that she knows the Doctor when he looks physically older is interesting too, not sure what to think of that.

I haven't read any spoilers (heh) for future episodes, but I don't think Donna is a face forever. Ms. Song seems to know of Donna, and she looked confused more than anything else when she saw face-Donna. Maybe it means that Ms. Song has heard that something different happened to her.
        *~*

*~*

Spoiler:
        *~*
        sigpic
        *~*
        photo manip by SGKawoosh, based on my crazy dream about the Earth being destroyed and the Asgard, wearing flannel and jeans, saving SG-1. Yah, my dreams are usually that messed up.

Comment

Steffan Moffatt is god. That is all.

This episode was brilliant - not as out adn out spooky as Blink but with a real sense of tension to it and SOOOO many questions left unanswered! What has happened to Donna? HOw does The Girl connect to the Library? Just who the hell is River Song and what is her connection to the Doctor? (D'you know during the scene where Donna was asking her about that and River explained she knows the Doctor from the future, the shot was of the two of them together and the camera angle made me think that they actually quite resembled each other (not exactly, obviously, but in terms of face shape and length of nose etc) and I even wondered if River was some future version of Donna! ) Yup, I'm that caught up in trying to work out what the hell is going on that I've moved onto crack theories!

Love the idea of the Vashta Narada and that there *is* something to be afraid of in the dark. If you stop and think about it, the idea that the dust motes you see in sunbeams are really tiny hungry killer creatures and that if enough of them swarm they could eat you, is freaking FREAKY!!!

Great chemistry between DAvid and Alex and generally a good supporting cast in this episode - the little girl was good too. I find the idea of a palnet-wide library fascinating and the further idea of that library being utterly silent and deserted is eerily spooky.

I can't WAIT for next week!
          sigpic

Comment

For some reason I really wasn't looking forward to this one. But how wrong I was, its brilliant! The last minutes reminded me of Event Horizon, one of few movies that still creeps me out when I see it. Acting, superb as ever. Oh, River Song, I love this plot, its the only one so far where I really have no idea where its going to go! And I'm guessing her book is meant to look like the TARDIS. One thing that did come to me. Remember what the Ood said at the end of Planet of the Ood, "your song will end soon", anyone think there could be a link there?
            Anyway I can't wait for next weeks!
            sigpic
            Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

Well this was a mind-bender.

1. Dr Moon is clearly the main bad guy here. He's somehow set up a psychic link beteen a 21st century kid and a 51st century planet-wide library and using it for hell knows what purpose and his ID is the biggest unanswered question at this point.

2. River Song is certainly plausible but I can't see her as being an older version of a known companion.

3. The Vashta Narada is certainly a creepy idea, particularly comboed with the ghosting Dave.

4. "Donna Noble has been saved" Saved = ?

Very wierd stuff - I want to see the payoff!
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I was worried that I wouldn't like this episode, even though it's been written by SM, thank God I was wrong this is fantastic, real edge of the seat stuff, like everyone else I'm a little frustrated about the cliffhangers but in a good way
                What happened to Donna

Who is River Song
                Spoiler:
                She's got some connection to either with Rose, Romana or Capt Jack or all 3, or a manifestation of the Tardis, ATM I'm leaning towards Jack

What has the little girl got to do with all this

Who is Dr Moon
                Spoiler:
                Apart from being a collegue of 007 I think he's been sent back in time to help the Doctor with the Vashta Narada via the little girl

How the hell does River Song know the Doctor from the future? Is she a timetraveller, did I miss a bit of conversation, or
                Spoiler:
                Is she a member of the Time Agency? which brings us back to River and Jack having a connection

I wish Steve Pemberton had a bit more of a part and Miss Evangelista had 'Red Shirt' written all over her

How spooky is that 'Ghosting' thing?

All in all this has been the best so far and like all of SM's stories it's edge of the seat, behind the cushion stuff.

The only whinge I have got is, the evil alien skeleton in the space suit looks like The Stig's Boney Cousin

Comment

See I keep thinking of word saved as in digitally stored, like on a computer. Like all the people in the library when it all went wrong - and now Donna - have been somehow stored somewhere, in like data form, to keep them safe from the Vashta Narada?

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                  The only whinge I have got is, the evil alien skeleton in the space suit looks like The Stig's Boney Cousin
                  BWAH!!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                    See I keep thinking of word saved as in digitally stored, like on a computer. Like all the people in the library when it all went wrong - and now Donna - have been somehow stored somewhere, in like data form, to keep them safe from the Vashta Narada?

BWAH!!!!
                    Spoiler:
                    Some say he's a swarm of flesh eating shadows, and that he can wash down a meal of two 'Red Shirts' with two litres of rocket fuel, he's not The Stig but he is The Stig's Boney Cousin

Comment

the link between river and the doctor isnt it possible theyve met in her past but its the doctors future so say she met the doctor 10 years before this episode, but he doesnt travel to that point in time till say 30 years after this episode

the bit at the beginning about being terrible at not showing spoilers is that meant to be a joke about how there always seem to be leaks about doctor who in the media

Comment

Oh, that actually makes a lot of sense, I like that. And maybe that's why Donna disappeared when she was being transported, because she was already 'data' in a sense being sent over the transporter and the Library (the Girl?) just transfered the data to storage.

Did Dr. Moon remind anyone else of Morpheus from the Matrix? The whole 'Your reality is not real' thing and all.

Anyway, my new theory is this: the Girl is actually the Library, or maybe the Library's computer core, but when the Vash ta' Narada invaded and the Computer 'saved' the data of all the people, she overloaded or something and some of her 'memory' got wiped. 'The Girl' is the computer conscious stuck in a virtual scenario. Dr. Moon is a program that started running when Dr. Song and her team broke through the shields, kinda like a backup system to bring the computer conscious fully back online.

I don't know, is that plausible?
                        *~*

*~*

Spoiler:
                        *~*
                        sigpic
                        *~*
                        photo manip by SGKawoosh, based on my crazy dream about the Earth being destroyed and the Asgard, wearing flannel and jeans, saving SG-1. Yah, my dreams are usually that messed up.

Comment

Steven Moffat's too bloody clever for his own good...

Not as good as Blink, but possibly his second best ep so far IMO (although it's been a while since I've seen The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances). He did another of making something so ordinary (first statues, now shadows and freaking dust...) into such an effective and creepifying monster.

My theory on the little girl is that her world really isn't real, and it's just some kind of program in the Library's computer.

River Song said that this was the youngest version of the Doctor she'd met, so I don't think it's somebody we already know. Odds are it's gonna be pretty huge, though. She's... his wife, or something... Hey, that actually fits with the X on the psychic paper, and calling him Sweetie and stuff.

Having a biography of the Doctor right there is just... unnerving.

Nice little trick in the trailer for next week, not showing any clips of Donna...

EDIT:
                          Originally posted by lirenel
                          Anyway, my new theory is this: the Girl is actually the Library, or maybe the Library's computer core, but when the Vash ta' Narada invaded and the Computer 'saved' the data of all the people, she overloaded or something and some of her 'memory' got wiped. 'The Girl' is the computer conscious stuck in a virtual scenario. Dr. Moon is a program that started running when Dr. Song and her team broke through the shields, kinda like a backup system to bring the computer conscious fully back online.

I don't know, is that plausible?
                          Totally.
                          Last edited by Naonak; 31 May 2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

That was my first guess the moment I read that message and heard no survivors were found. And Donna was being transported, so she had been stored in the system so her molecules could be reassembled in the Tardis, but she got saved by the girl.

So my idea is that the girl, Doctor Moon, etc... are the 4022 people that were saved and stored as VR images, with their moleculair coding inside the database of the library (Biggest harddrive in the universe, as the Doctor said), and living there as normal people, never aging but over time forgetting who they are and what they should be doing.

Anyway, good episode and I can't wait until next week.
                            Signed,

Gregorius
                            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

OMG I'm so mad I flipped to the channel right after it went off, literally like 10 seconds later.

Anyone post a full review for me? Please
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X