No announcement yet.

The Unicorn and the Wasp (3007/407)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a huge Christie fan, I couldn't but love this episode. Naturally, the quality of Christie's writing is up for discussion, but I really enjoyed the book title dropping, and the audacity of the writers in taking on the huge mystery that was Christie's disappearance.

Sure, Christie's no Shakespeare, but she wrote 79 books as Agatha Christie and 6 novels as Mary Westmacott in about 50 years, as well as at least 40 short stories (some of which were later recycled as novels) and a few plays, including the longest running play in history (The Mousetrap opened in the West End of London in 1952 and has been running continuously ever since, with the 25,000th performance last year). In total, she has sold about 1 billion books in English to date, as well as another billion in translation. The only literary work in English that has outsold Christie is the Bible.
    sigpic

Comment

found this in my suggested viewing:

The Unicorn and the Wasp - Original Ending | Doctor Who Series 4

DoctorBlue

Published on Apr 22, 2020

The Doctor Who episode 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' originally had an entirely different ending, where the Doctor and Donna visit an elderly Agatha Christie in 1976 and show her directly the legacy her books have. However, at some point during production, Russell T Davies decided to cut both this and the original opening scene, and so a new ending was filmed with the Doctor and Donna discussing Agatha's books in the TARDIS instead. This video attempts to recreate the original ending for the episode. I hope you enjoy it.

This is what Russell had to say about the original ending on the deleted scenes extra for the Series 4 DVD boxset: “The whole thing was framed by old Agatha in bed. It was a really nice scene that read very well on the page but when you watch the episode you get the feeling that everything was taking place in the past tense; that the Doctor and Donna's adventure was bracketed by old Agatha recounting her adventures, and it took all drama out of it. So we took a very deep breath with this, and it was a great shame for the actors involved but we cut it.... So this now is the full and complete ending. Having seen old Agatha at the beginning of the episode, the whole story then rounds up at the end of the episode by seeing old Agatha again."

If you enjoyed this video please give it a like, and I'll be sure to make more like it in the future. And let me know what you make of the ending in the comments! Do you prefer it to the ending we got or are you glad it was cut?

#DoctorWho

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Subscribe if you're new here and you like what you see: https://www.youtube.com/user/DoctorBlue0

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/The_Blue_Doctor

Category
      Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
        found this in my suggested viewing:

The Unicorn and the Wasp - Original Ending | Doctor Who Series 4

DoctorBlue

Published on Apr 22, 2020

The Doctor Who episode 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' originally had an entirely different ending, where the Doctor and Donna visit an elderly Agatha Christie in 1976 and show her directly the legacy her books have. However, at some point during production, Russell T Davies decided to cut both this and the original opening scene, and so a new ending was filmed with the Doctor and Donna discussing Agatha's books in the TARDIS instead. This video attempts to recreate the original ending for the episode. I hope you enjoy it.

This is what Russell had to say about the original ending on the deleted scenes extra for the Series 4 DVD boxset: “The whole thing was framed by old Agatha in bed. It was a really nice scene that read very well on the page but when you watch the episode you get the feeling that everything was taking place in the past tense; that the Doctor and Donna's adventure was bracketed by old Agatha recounting her adventures, and it took all drama out of it. So we took a very deep breath with this, and it was a great shame for the actors involved but we cut it.... So this now is the full and complete ending. Having seen old Agatha at the beginning of the episode, the whole story then rounds up at the end of the episode by seeing old Agatha again."

If you enjoyed this video please give it a like, and I'll be sure to make more like it in the future. And let me know what you make of the ending in the comments! Do you prefer it to the ending we got or are you glad it was cut?

#DoctorWho

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Subscribe if you're new here and you like what you see: https://www.youtube.com/user/DoctorBlue0

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/The_Blue_Doctor

Category
        Entertainment
        Hmmm. I mean it's a nice scene but it doesn't really feel like it works.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
        X