• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Doctor's Daughter (3006/406)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 30
    THE DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3006

After the TARDIS pulls the Doctor, Donna, and Martha to a war-ravaged world, the human soldiers use a tissue sample to create a genetic offspring of the Doctor to join them in their unending fight.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:55 PM.

in a word WOW, awesome episode... Though I am disappointed that Jenny wasn't his daughter from long ago, but this works out just as well if not better (no need to explain how she survived or reuse the FoB watch from last year).

The Haff were interesting and utterly alien which is a nice change from most sci-fi out there

And the ending well I was waiting for her to regenerate but her returning to life from the terraforming gas was unexpected. I wonder does Jenny possess a full regeneration cycle or does she not have one because she didn't go to the Academy?

And was that final scene setting up a spin off or what?
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I very nearly didn't bother watching this episode but boy oh boy am I glad I did as it's one of the best so far. the thing that stands out most for me is the calibre of acting from David Tennant and Freema Agyeman they were absolutly wonderful, Martha's reaction to the Hath sacrificing himself for her was something else and the Doctor's reaction to Jenny's death was heartbreaking, I admit I was yelling "Regenerate, regenerate" at the TV, I have to admit I was slightly put off by the fact that Gerogia Moffatt is the spit of Baby Spice, I kept expecting her to launch into Wannabe. She was pretty unspectacular as Jenny and Jenny herself was nothing special but the story was better than it has been for a few weeks.

I didn't spot any Cascade/bees/Rose connections, but was this an attempt to bring destroyed planets back to life?

Comment

I thought it was a great episode, but a bit choppy at places. Especially the end when Jenny came back to life. Though when she died and the Doctor's reaction? I had to turn away to keep from crying.

I also utterly fell in love with the Haff (sp?). They were adorable! So alien, but still real, kinda like the Ood.
        *~*

*~*

Spoiler:
        *~*
        sigpic
        *~*
        photo manip by SGKawoosh, based on my crazy dream about the Earth being destroyed and the Asgard, wearing flannel and jeans, saving SG-1. Yah, my dreams are usually that messed up.

Comment

I just have to say, Yes she's alive! This is now probably one of my favourite episodes. Admitably it was weak at the begining though. I thought that the way she was 'created' was rushed. But overall, I liked her. Loved Tennant's acting in this ep. He was fantastic!
          Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
          LOVE HIM-> DT
          ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

This was an amazing episode. I wasn't expecting it to be but it was just utterly amazing! Jenny was great. Her and the Doctor played off eachother beautifully. She even had his mannerisms down. I can't wait to see her again. esspecially to see the Doctors reaction. I was really wanting her to regenerate in his arms when she died. It was incredibly emotional. I also loved the scene where the doctor put the gun to that guys head. You could really feel what he was feeling in that scene. A part pf him wanted to pull that trigger. I think that could be an insight as to how the doctor was in the Timewar perhaps.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulabaloo View Post
              I just have to say, Yes she's alive! This is now probably one of my favourite episodes. Admitably it was weak at the begining though. I thought that the way she was 'created' was rushed. But overall, I liked her. Loved Tennant's acting in this ep. He was fantastic!
              Well from the commentary, it seems RTD and the writers were going to leave Jenny dead, but Steven Moffat made them resurrect her

Once again thank heavens Steven Moffat is involved in Who
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I love this episode. Obviously we are going to see the doctor daughter again in the future ep, either in a spin off of from doctor who or , perhaps they will kill off the doctor and she will be his replacement.

But apart from the daughter moment and twist with the war only actually be 7 days old The daughter going through the lasers was cool.

The ending was good through I so knew was going to be regenerated. who do not bring the doctor daughter back and kill her in the same ep.

Aliens were weird and I like the way they did not speak and ounce of English for once.

And the assistance figuring out something that was key to the mystery makes a change. He was so ignoring those number like they were nothing to do with the story.

overall 9 out of 10 for the ultra cool doctor daughter.

Comment

WOW david got some quality acting there when jenny died

martha was good

jenny was WOW
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, that was... pointless.

The seven day, multi-generational war was pretty good - if predictable - but what the hell was all the actual Doctor's Daughter stuff about? I mean, apart from stretching the range for our principals, it was just so rushed that there was no substance. I reject you, I can't bear to accept you, I think you're brilliant, I've lost you. So it goes.

If he'd at least asked them to base their society on her rather than himself - not on a man who never would, but on a girl who chose not to - there might have been some purpose; some unique structure to the episode and a reason for the character to actually exist. As it was, her sum total achievement was to snog a guard and stop a bullet, which again would have had just that smidgen more impact if she'd actually died, but no, she's cute and cool so she has to survive.

Overall not a terrible episode, but I resent every backflip that took time out of Henry the Happy Hath's death scene, which effected me far more than Jenny's, even before she came back to life.
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

That episode was much more like it. And yet despite all the things I loved about this episode it still feels slightly off like all the series four ones have. I'm not the only one with this feeling am I?

Surely if they go through twenty generations a day Jenny is not going to live that long?

When it was revealed how long the war had been going and why it happened, I looked at the fact that the general was the only old one along with his insistence on winning and instantly thought that he was actually one of the people who'd stepped up to fill the power vacuum at the start of the war. This was never actually denied so I shall continue to think this.

Originally posted by Mr Prophet View Post
                      Henry the Happy Hath
                      If that's not an official name then I move we make it one, in the same way that all the Wraiths have fan names.

Talking of the Hath, why could Martha not understand them? The TARDIS should be translating.

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                      Well from the commentary, it seems RTD and the writers were going to leave Jenny dead, but Steven Moffat made them resurrect her

Once again thank heavens Steven Moffat is involved in Who
                      And there goes my ingenious theory that she'd be returning in the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                        Surely if they go through twenty generations a day Jenny is not going to live that long?
                        I don't think they were big on natural causes, except in as much as it's natural to die when you've been shot a whole bunch.

Talking of the Hath, why could Martha not understand them? The TARDIS should be translating.
                        I think they were just... muffled.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Also if she's not dead then surely the Doctor can sense that there is now another Time Lord roaming the galaxy?

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                            Also if she's not dead then surely the Doctor can sense that there is now another Time Lord roaming the galaxy?
                            She could simply be Gallifreyan.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

1. OK, the daughter part got explained pretty quickly, not what I expected but works well enough.

2. That many people killed in seven days?

3. Martha didn't do badly out of this, didn't expect the Haff to get scratched!

4. Jenny...was OK, gave the Doctor an interesting mirror to look into. Her problem is that the spaceship she's got isn't a TARDIS. Even if the Doctor can detect her, at most we won't see her till he swings by that time period again. Not worth doing a spinoff but we certainly haven't heard the last of her!

Nice stuff!
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                              X