Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post The Doctor's Daughter (3006/406)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 30
    THE DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3006

After the TARDIS pulls the Doctor, Donna, and Martha to a war-ravaged world, the human soldiers use a tissue sample to create a genetic offspring of the Doctor to join them in their unending fight.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; April 10th, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

He Who Burns At The Center Of Time The_Carpenter's Avatar

Default Re: The Doctor's Daughter (3006/406)

in a word WOW, awesome episode... Though I am disappointed that Jenny wasn't his daughter from long ago, but this works out just as well if not better (no need to explain how she survived or reuse the FoB watch from last year).

The Haff were interesting and utterly alien which is a nice change from most sci-fi out there

And the ending well I was waiting for her to regenerate but her returning to life from the terraforming gas was unexpected. I wonder does Jenny possess a full regeneration cycle or does she not have one because she didn't go to the Academy?

And was that final scene setting up a spin off or what?
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

I very nearly didn't bother watching this episode but boy oh boy am I glad I did as it's one of the best so far. the thing that stands out most for me is the calibre of acting from David Tennant and Freema Agyeman they were absolutly wonderful, Martha's reaction to the Hath sacrificing himself for her was something else and the Doctor's reaction to Jenny's death was heartbreaking, I admit I was yelling "Regenerate, regenerate" at the TV, I have to admit I was slightly put off by the fact that Gerogia Moffatt is the spit of Baby Spice, I kept expecting her to launch into Wannabe. She was pretty unspectacular as Jenny and Jenny herself was nothing special but the story was better than it has been for a few weeks.

I didn't spot any Cascade/bees/Rose connections, but was this an attempt to bring destroyed planets back to life?

I thought it was a great episode, but a bit choppy at places. Especially the end when Jenny came back to life. Though when she died and the Doctor's reaction? I had to turn away to keep from crying.

I also utterly fell in love with the Haff (sp?). They were adorable! So alien, but still real, kinda like the Ood.
    *~*
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...eylabanner.jpg
    *~*

Spoiler:
    *~*
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/ladylirenel/Atlantis/banners/McKeylabanner.jpg
    *~*
    photo manip by SGKawoosh, based on my crazy dream about the Earth being destroyed and the Asgard, wearing flannel and jeans, saving SG-1. Yah, my dreams are usually that messed up.

I just have to say, Yes she's alive! This is now probably one of my favourite episodes. Admitably it was weak at the begining though. I thought that the way she was 'created' was rushed. But overall, I liked her. Loved Tennant's acting in this ep. He was fantastic!

This was an amazing episode. I wasn't expecting it to be but it was just utterly amazing! Jenny was great. Her and the Doctor played off eachother beautifully. She even had his mannerisms down. I can't wait to see her again. esspecially to see the Doctors reaction. I was really wanting her to regenerate in his arms when she died. It was incredibly emotional. I also loved the scene where the doctor put the gun to that guys head. You could really feel what he was feeling in that scene. A part pf him wanted to pull that trigger. I think that could be an insight as to how the doctor was in the Timewar perhaps.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

He Who Burns At The Center Of Time The_Carpenter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulabaloo View Post
    I just have to say, Yes she's alive! This is now probably one of my favourite episodes. Admitably it was weak at the begining though. I thought that the way she was 'created' was rushed. But overall, I liked her. Loved Tennant's acting in this ep. He was fantastic!
    Well from the commentary, it seems RTD and the writers were going to leave Jenny dead, but Steven Moffat made them resurrect her

Once again thank heavens Steven Moffat is involved in Who
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

I love this episode. Obviously we are going to see the doctor daughter again in the future ep, either in a spin off of from doctor who or , perhaps they will kill off the doctor and she will be his replacement.

But apart from the daughter moment and twist with the war only actually be 7 days old The daughter going through the lasers was cool.

The ending was good through I so knew was going to be regenerated. who do not bring the doctor daughter back and kill her in the same ep.

Aliens were weird and I like the way they did not speak and ounce of English for once.

And the assistance figuring out something that was key to the mystery makes a change. He was so ignoring those number like they were nothing to do with the story.

overall 9 out of 10 for the ultra cool doctor daughter.

Shielding McKay From Sunlight And Falling Citrus

WOW david got some quality acting there when jenny died

martha was good

jenny was WOW

Well, that was... pointless.

The seven day, multi-generational war was pretty good - if predictable - but what the hell was all the actual Doctor's Daughter stuff about? I mean, apart from stretching the range for our principals, it was just so rushed that there was no substance. I reject you, I can't bear to accept you, I think you're brilliant, I've lost you. So it goes.

If he'd at least asked them to base their society on her rather than himself - not on a man who never would, but on a girl who chose not to - there might have been some purpose; some unique structure to the episode and a reason for the character to actually exist. As it was, her sum total achievement was to snog a guard and stop a bullet, which again would have had just that smidgen more impact if she'd actually died, but no, she's cute and cool so she has to survive.

Overall not a terrible episode, but I resent every backflip that took time out of Henry the Happy Hath's death scene, which effected me far more than Jenny's, even before she came back to life.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

First Lieutenant

That episode was much more like it. And yet despite all the things I loved about this episode it still feels slightly off like all the series four ones have. I'm not the only one with this feeling am I?

Surely if they go through twenty generations a day Jenny is not going to live that long?

When it was revealed how long the war had been going and why it happened, I looked at the fact that the general was the only old one along with his insistence on winning and instantly thought that he was actually one of the people who'd stepped up to fill the power vacuum at the start of the war. This was never actually denied so I shall continue to think this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet View Post
    Henry the Happy Hath
    If that's not an official name then I move we make it one, in the same way that all the Wraiths have fan names.

Talking of the Hath, why could Martha not understand them? The TARDIS should be translating.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Carpenter View Post
    Well from the commentary, it seems RTD and the writers were going to leave Jenny dead, but Steven Moffat made them resurrect her

Once again thank heavens Steven Moffat is involved in Who
    And there goes my ingenious theory that she'd be returning in the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by pbellosom View Post
    Surely if they go through twenty generations a day Jenny is not going to live that long?
    I don't think they were big on natural causes, except in as much as it's natural to die when you've been shot a whole bunch.

Talking of the Hath, why could Martha not understand them? The TARDIS should be translating.
    I think they were just... muffled.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

First Lieutenant

Also if she's not dead then surely the Doctor can sense that there is now another Time Lord roaming the galaxy?

Also if she's not dead then surely the Doctor can sense that there is now another Time Lord roaming the galaxy?
    She could simply be Gallifreyan.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

1. OK, the daughter part got explained pretty quickly, not what I expected but works well enough.

2. That many people killed in seven days?

3. Martha didn't do badly out of this, didn't expect the Haff to get scratched!

4. Jenny...was OK, gave the Doctor an interesting mirror to look into. Her problem is that the spaceship she's got isn't a TARDIS. Even if the Doctor can detect her, at most we won't see her till he swings by that time period again. Not worth doing a spinoff but we certainly haven't heard the last of her!

Nice stuff!

The Hath, as from this episode, would appear to not communicate verbally at all. I summize that Hath communication is based on how that green liquid stuff reacted with every breath. Then again, it could be telepathy on some level. This would be why the TARDIS wasn't translating. Simply because, there was no new verbal 'signals' to translate.

Quote Originally Posted by pbellosom
    Having 2 hearts does not make a character a Time Lord.

PS: The modified P90's were used again. Yay!
    Last edited by Billz; May 2nd, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

The regeneration issue.... I thought that was covered in the "she's too like me" comment, then I remembered how to count. Even counting Jenny's creation as a regeneration then she'd only have used ten and still have two more, so that couldn't answer it.

I liked Jenny, but wish she'd got to travel with the others for one or two episodes before they did the kill and revive thing.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

I was really skeptical about this episode but it surprised me in a positive way.

The story was clever and thankfully Jenny wasn't too much of a Mary Sue (though a weird mix between a Spice Girl and Veronica Mars) The only drawback was, that she sort of regenerated at the end or at least came back to life. I I honestly think she should have stayed dead. Georgia Moffats acting didn't impress me at all, but the trio (David, Catherine and Freema) certainly did a great job. I loved it, when Donna showed again her skills as super temp and also when she made the doctor realize that Jenny is not just some clone but that she is very much a part of him. There were three scenes that particularly squeezed my heart

- when the Hoff, that had become Martha's friend, gave his life to save Martha from the bog. I loved Martha in this episode so much. She was lively and just plain wonderful
    - when the doctor told Donna about his family and that a part of him died when they died. A part that can't be retrieved. I loved it when Donna told him that he is wrong and she was. In the short timespan that he was able to spend time with Jenny he really started to care for her and I guess even to love her and then....
    - She died. God, when the doctor cried over her body...that broke my heart. Why does he always have to suffer so much? Both Donna and Martha looked on helplessly and felt so very, very sorry. It reminded me a bit of Rose and her family, when they had to watch helplessly while the heart from Rose broke and she cried at that wall. There was nothing they could say to make the pain any less painful. Really intense was the moment, when the doctor stood enraged over the general and ready to kill the man but then didn't and said that he would never, ever do that.

The Hoffs were interesting. The creature make-up was pretty bad but better then the Slitheens. Doctor Who has some great effects to boast but creature FX is not one of them. The aliens often look rather cheesy (I did like the Ood though) The story was interesting and came up with was really fascinating and the resolution of it unexpected. Who would have thought that this was had started only a week ago after the spaceship had crashed because of a power vacuum.

The ending between Martha and the doctor was also nice. How she said to Donna, that a time will come when she will also leave the doctor and Donna doesn't believe her of course and says the same thing that Rose has said, that she would stay forever but as we all know forever is an awfully long time....

BTW what was the hint this time around. The mentioning of Jenny being a paradox or simply the word paradox?
    The episode was unexpected pleasant surprise.
    Next: Agatha Christie and the gigantic wasp. Sounds a bit like Queen Victoria and the Werewolf. We will see how this will turn out.
    He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
    He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
    And he's wonderful.

I had mixed feeling about this episode, so much so that I'm actually gonna talk about them even though I don't usually bother and just lurk around seeing what other people thought.

Basically my opinion when watching went like this:
    Bad
    Alright
    Good
    Confused
    Really good
    Bad
    Alright

I thought the opening part was crap. Turns out his daughter suddenly existed cos someone made him put his hand in the machine. And those guns were really really terrible. Did they fire anything or just shoot little bits of flame? Anyway after that I started to enjoy it. I'm not sure why Martha was there, the episode could have been done without her, but I liked her in it- her reaction when the fish guys were all patting her on the head was funny. I liked the fish guys too- they were really different and cool.

I liked the Doctor and his daughter interacting and how his opinion changed. I thought the same as him at the start- she was built in a machine so she's not really his daughter, which felt like a massive cop-out given the previews- but I liked her in the end.

That whole 7 day thing was cool and weird but I'm not sure how it worked- surely really old general guy wasn't built really old yesterday- maybe I just missed something about that.

Jenny's death was powerful but I couldn't help thinking 'seriously?! They're gonna bring her in and kill her off in the same episode?!' So I thought that was pretty stupid. I did like the scene where the Doctor held a gun at the general- I thought he was gonna shoot him, he looked crazy.

The ending improved when she came back to life, so we'll probably (hopefully) see her again cos I liked her character (also she was cute). But it reminded me of Ace Rimmer from Red Dwarf for some reason, so it seemed a bit silly.

Overall I did like it though. And next week's preview looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by huntress View Post
    The Hoffs were interesting. The creature make-up was pretty bad but better then the Slitheens. Doctor Who has some great effects to boast but creature FX is not one of them. The aliens often look rather cheesy (I did like the Ood though)
    I agree, the creature make-up isn't great, and sometimes they do look cheesy (I thought the Hoff looked pretty cool though) but I do like how they try to do something different. One of the things that bugs me about Stargate is how every race is pretty much human. In the entire Stargate history I can think of two 'alien' alien races- those dude from Foothold and the invisible bug guys. Doctor Who comes up with an original and different looking species on almost a weekly basis, and never (to my knowledge) had one cliched looking alien species.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast