Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Atlantis switch powersource to fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
    Firstly, I didnt start the ship scaling topic. Someone else brought it up and I wanted to correct it. In my opinion, Anubis' ship is not larger then Atlantis. I am merely defending my position.
    I dont' see what you are getting all defensive about..., all i said was that some of your scalings are inaccurate.
    And there is nothing to correct, Anubis's ship is larger then Atlantis.
    I know of atleast two different scaling threads that claim so, not to mention, from my own personal observation, i believe the City ship to be smaller.

Secondly, the shot you are refering to is a) not the 'real' atlantis model b) not scaled properly. That entire shot is a glamour shot. Everyone on this forum, for the most part, knows that the scales between ships, depending on the scene, can vary. If we keep the scale of Atlantis being ~3.3 Km in diameter, do you know how large that transport ship would be? However, when you compare that scene with the scene in 'No Mans Land', right before Caldwell beams sheppard, mckay, ronin, and michael aboard the daedalus, we see the transport compared to the hive, the aurora, and the daedalus, and none of them are consistent.
    They are consistent, you need to check again.

As I stated, the picture shown in 'Allies', which shows a top view of a hive ship and the daedalus, is my Primary source for establishing any stargate ship scale. The reason for this is simple: The image is permanent. Its a true reference because no matter what, that scale will never change. However, as stated above, most scenes are not consistent with ship scaling. When I scale something I think a) is it realistic b) is it consistent with most scenes.
    Read again, because i did say your 304 to Hive scaling ratio is correct.

I know Atlantis is bigger then a Hive ship for these reasons: If you know the diameter of a stargate (which is beleive the outer diameter is 22ft) then you can calculate the diameter of a puddle jumper, also referencing any shot of the physical jumper set. Once you have that, you can calculate the length of a puddle jumper. From there, refer to the episode "Misbegotten' and at the end of the episode, you get the scale of a jumper compared to the daedalus. Now, if you refer to 'First Strike', at the end of the episode when Atlantis is flying, theres a top down view of the entire city, slightly obscurred by the shield, but clear enough. Look at the central spire, were the jumper bay door is, we know a jumper fits in that area. From there, you can determine the diameter of the central spire, and from there the size of Atlantis. And we already have the established shot of a daedalus compared to a hive ship. So there ya go.
    Atlantis is not bigger then the Hive, and these scalings have been done before, check the scaling thread. Here, this screen shot might help. -
    http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s4/4...lcoil0665.html
    The Aurora is a lot farther away, but can still get the general idea on the size of the ship next to the city. And remember, Auroras are much smaller then Hives.
    You know, Atlantis being smaller then the Hive and Anubi's super Hatak, does not make it any less powerful..

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
      I dont' see what you are getting all defensive about..., all i said was that some of your scalings are inaccurate.
      And there is nothing to correct, Anubis's ship is larger then Atlantis.
      I know of atleast two different scaling threads that claim so, not to mention, from my own personal observation, i believe the City ship to be smaller.

They are consistent, you need to check again.

Read again, because i did say your 304 to Hive scaling ratio is correct.

Atlantis is not bigger then the Hive, and these scalings have been done before, check the scaling thread. Here, this screen shot might help. -
      http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s4/4...lcoil0665.html
      The Aurora is a lot farther away, but can still get the general idea on the size of the ship next to the city. And remember, Auroras are much smaller then Hives.
      You know, Atlantis being smaller then the Hive and Anubi's super Hatak, does not make it any less powerful..
      Look, obviously your going to think my scales are wrong. To begin with I stated that I thought the scales in the threads that you referenced were wrong. If I think those scales are off, which are the scales you beleive are right, then of coarse your going to think im wrong.

There is one difference though. I actually provided references in this thread to show why i feel my scales are right. You have not done that. In fact, I may even do my own ship scaling thread simple because of how horribly wrong the other ones are.

And if you dont want people to get 'all defensive', then find a different way of saying "your scales are inaccurate". You may have said instead, "you know, theres another thread that has different ship scales then what you have. Maybe you should go check them out and see why you both got different scales"

Comment

"I actually provided references in this thread to show why i feel my scales are right. You have not done that. "
        I have not done that because this is not the thread for it, and it has been done a hundred times before, not to mention, that i have a slow connection, so finding and uploading the pics takes time.
        And all i said was, "Halzman, there are a number of errors in your' scaling.", and there is nothing wrong with the way i said it.

And did you even see the scaling thread i posted, its all there. So why not go to that thread and try to correct those scalings, if you think they are so wrong.

Comment

I've been working on a Stargate mod(ification) for a game, and while working on the ship models I made myself a comparison chart. Here is that image
          Spoiler:

I would give Anubis's ship is roughly the size of an Ori battle-cruiser. It appears that 4 Hataks, side by side, equal the diameter of Anubis' ship.

I know for a fact that the Hive/BC-304 scale is PERFECT. It was based on the famous screenshot during 'Allies' (Atlantis S02E20) when McKay and Sheppard were showing the presentation on the screen, on how to test beaming over the gas to the other hive. In fact, this is my primary source for scaling, my main reference being the BC-304.

The Atlantis scale is based on the fact that the BC-304 has landed next to a pier.

The scaling of the BC-304 and the Aurora are based on the shots shown in 'Aurora' (Atlantis, Season 02)

The scaling between the Ori ship/BC-304/Hatak are based on the shots shown in 'Camelot' (SG-1, S10E20)

A wraith cruiser/Asgard O'Neill class would be in between a Hatak and Aurora.
          Nice picture. This is about the same as I imagine the ships are compared to each other. I have never really believed that hive ships are 11kms long, to me they never seem to be that big.
          In 'Spoils of War' a small team of 4 or 5 people was able to completely search the hive, and it didn't take them very long. If a hive was 11 kms long it would be far bigger than Atlantis which still hasn't been fully explored after 4 whole years! You're version makes more sense IMO.
          sigpic

Comment

Plus all scalings we did aren't canon. We should try coercing the Atlantis staff to give us the sizes and scales for this ships.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
            Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
            The Chevron Team
            Spoiler:
            Never make everything Organic!
            Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
            :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
            :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
            :The drones are heading towards us.
            :Those drones look familiar...
            : SQUID?!?
            We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
              Nice picture. This is about the same as I imagine the ships are compared to each other. I have never really believed that hive ships are 11kms long, to me they never seem to be that big.
              In 'Spoils of War' a small team of 4 or 5 people was able to completely search the hive, and it didn't take them very long. If a hive was 11 kms long it would be far bigger than Atlantis which still hasn't been fully explored after 4 whole years! You're version makes more sense IMO.
              First off, Thank You Someone else who thinks I make more sense

If a ship was 11km long, i don't care what technology you have, with the hive ship designed the way it is, it would snap in half. There isn't enough height to compensate for its length.

In season 01, there is an episode were there is a wraith trapped on a planet all by himself, which is found because of the defense satellite. The scientist who discovered the satellite mentioned that it was as big as a ha'tak (This of coarse meaning that its overall size was the same as a ha'tak, not necessarily as spacious inside). The scene in 'The Siege Part 1' when the satellite destroys one of the three hives provides a scale comparing a hive to a ha'tak, hence why i think the hive is smaller then Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by RM_2000_A View Post
                Plus all scalings we did aren't canon. We should try coercing the Atlantis staff to give us the sizes and scales for this ships.
                I beleive in the official stargate magazine, Atlantis was said to be ~3km in diameter. This is the only official number to go by.

heh, btw... i was messing around on google earth one night, actually.... hold up for a sec. Ok, basically i wanted to see how big Atlantis was, if it was 3.3km in diameter, compared to Manhattan, since they did reference it, kind of (searching atlantis would be like searching every room in manhattan). So, here is what google earth had to say about it, the white circle is as close to 3.3km i could get, which represents Atlantis. I scaled it down so that the scale on google earth would portray 3.3km as well.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1...ncomp01cn1.jpg

Comment

There is no question there is room to dispute the size of the Hive, and the Ori ship. The Anubis ship is tougher, but probably of greater diameter than Atlantis.

If we could get back on topic.....

Atlantis has used more than one source of power. So why not? The challenge would be to modify Atlantis. It was designed to use a very small reacter.

To employ a new power source would mean rebuilding and rewiring the city to accomadate a larger number of small Naq. reactors, or one really large reactor.

We could sacrifice habitable or storage volume in the city. Are we capable of doing the difficult work?

Comment

First off, Thank You Someone else who thinks I make more sense

In season 01, there is an episode were there is a wraith trapped on a planet all by himself, which is found because of the defense satellite. The scientist who discovered the satellite mentioned that it was as big as a ha'tak (This of coarse meaning that its overall size was the same as a ha'tak, not necessarily as spacious inside). The scene in 'The Siege Part 1' when the satellite destroys one of the three hives provides a scale comparing a hive to a ha'tak, hence why i think the hive is smaller then Atlantis.
                    When scaling, you have to take into account the distance of the satellite from the hive, which is difficult and the result is not very accurate, instead, do this. - The defense satellite was about the size of a Hatak, and a Hatak is about 1.5 times the size of the 304. Now, check this pic below, it should give you the approximate scale of a Hatak to a Hive.

And let's not feed the troll.

@Maedhros
                    I don't think they would need to modify Atlantis..., well not by much, atleast, it won't be as big a task as you think, because, the Arcturus project reactor was able to feed power to the city (i think it was, someone correct me if i'm wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by Steven_the_Atlantean View Post
                      Not really, it wasn’t the flight that drained a lot power from the ZPM, it was the damages caused by the beam as several of the main conduits were affected by the brush with the beam which Atlantis had to increase the output of the ZPM in order the maintain power to the shields and etc.

Hmmm I am not sure about switching, but we did use another power source to provide Atlantis with the necessary power to take flight, which obviously 30% of total power requirements was consumed in the first 10 seconds of flight (Which they used the Station for) right until they hit the umbilical, they switch to the ZPM, which left 70% of power requirements for Atlantis to handle, but plus we had damages and not to mention we have no idea how much power the ZPM had at the beginning but we know this for a fact, they had enough for the city to Fly to their new destination and Land due to Mackey’s calculations!

But yeah, using another power source to support and replacing the current power source are two completely different things…plus in Stargate as a whole, what is more powerful then a ZedPM (Hahaha had to say it the Canadians way…you gotta love them)!!!
                      Yes, atlantis can run on alternate power sources.

as we know, a wraith hive is about 10kilometers-11 kilometers long. atlantis is about 3kilometers.

if earth did power atlantis with a bunch of generators, they would need apx 25 mark 2 naquada generators.

i think of a zpm as this:
                      it will power the entire planet for 1 hour.

earth is say, 1m times bigger than atlantis.

therefore a zpm can power atlantis for about 1m hours(when in proper conditions).

the zpm they had was mostly full. when they found it they said it seemed its only use was a test to see if it worked. However the replicators enitial blast and the power used while they were hit, could have use nearly half of the zpm alone.

remember, the replicators in the pegasis galaxy could have had unliited zpm's. they literaly made their own. so who knows how powerful the wepon was that they used.

i think they used most of a zpm to get to earth in the last episode....

Comment

Originally posted by Maedhros_Sea View Post
                        There is no question there is room to dispute the size of the Hive, and the Ori ship. The Anubis ship is tougher, but probably of greater diameter than Atlantis.

If we could get back on topic.....

Atlantis has used more than one source of power. So why not? The challenge would be to modify Atlantis. It was designed to use a very small reacter.

To employ a new power source would mean rebuilding and rewiring the city to accomadate a larger number of small Naq. reactors, or one really large reactor.

We could sacrifice habitable or storage volume in the city. Are we capable of doing the difficult work?
                        halls are able to be used as wires. a few probper conduates and you can simply put a crap laod of naquada generators in(200-300) the halls and remote activate them. than just get everyone to the center of the city(preferably before turning on the reactors) and unground the city. and voila, you now have the power for sheilds, hyperdrive, and drones(pray to god you dont have spare power or you may have your hair standing up if your in the wrong spot)

Comment

nice

Comment

Working...
                          X