Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Atlantis switch powersource to fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could Atlantis switch powersource to fly?

we see Atlantis fly with only one ZPM, it was a bumpy ride ,and it drain a lot of power from the ZPM.

Since ZPM is a bit hard to find ,could Atlantis switch powersouce,
    In the past, before SGA has a ZPM ,SGA use Naqahdah generator to supply part of the city ,and then even use powerful Mark II Naqahdah generator to power the Ancient drone weapon chair.

Remember Anubis 's super powerful mother ship, it was like ID4's City ship.
    When if was flying on Jonas's planet it cover an entire New York like city.

Is it possible to install generator like Anubis 's super mother ship on Atlantis.

Without the drone weapon , i think Anubis super mother ship could match Atlantis city ship.

Originally posted by ckwongau View Post
    we see Atlantis fly with only one ZPM, it was a bumpy ride ,and it drain a lot of power from the ZPM.
    Not really, it wasn’t the flight that drained a lot power from the ZPM, it was the damages caused by the beam as several of the main conduits were affected by the brush with the beam which Atlantis had to increase the output of the ZPM in order the maintain power to the shields and etc.

Originally posted by ckwongau View Post
    Since ZPM is a bit hard to find ,could Atlantis switch powersouce
    Hmmm I am not sure about switching, but we did use another power source to provide Atlantis with the necessary power to take flight, which obviously 30% of total power requirements was consumed in the first 10 seconds of flight (Which they used the Station for) right until they hit the umbilical, they switch to the ZPM, which left 70% of power requirements for Atlantis to handle, but plus we had damages and not to mention we have no idea how much power the ZPM had at the beginning but we know this for a fact, they had enough for the city to Fly to their new destination and Land due to Mackey’s calculations!

But yeah, using another power source to support and replacing the current power source are two completely different things…plus in Stargate as a whole, what is more powerful then a ZedPM (Hahaha had to say it the Canadians way…you gotta love them)!!!

Comment

Actually, Anubi's super Hatak was larger than Atlantis.
      And the reason it takes so much power to use Atlanti's stardrive is because, Atlantis was never meant to be a space ship. It is a city, that can fly, but only to relocate from one planet to another, not to function as a spaceship or a spacestation of some sort. While Anubis ship, was a very large spacescraft designed to fit Anubis's (conquer the whole galaxy) needs.

Also, they could switch Atlantis's powersource, if they could find a viable energysource. As it stands, the Naquadah generators currently do not generate enough power for the city, however, in The Last Man, it was revealed, that they developed a Mark 12 generator, that was able to power the shields, although, it was stated that it was still not on par with a ZPM, and it is very doubtfull if it could or even a few of those could power Atlantis's stardrive (perhaps a dozen of them could).

Comment

You might be able to power Atlantis with an Asgard power core. or maybe even a couple of them.
        They'll never do that though. thats just too easy.

Comment

70% of the stardrives power is used during the take off - Meaning that 70% of the power will be used to start up the star drive (which is just a bunch of ion engines, like the jumper has) and then build up the neccessary thrust for take off.

And i dont know about Anubis's supership being as big as Atlantis... maybe half the size if that, but i wouln't say that its the same size or bigger.

And you cant just say "switch power supply". We dont even know what the stardrive needs, power wise, let alone how much energy a ZPM has.

Given from 'The Road Not Taken' (SG-1 S10) that a whopping 700 Gigawatts was needed to make up the difference for the ZPM, in order to power Merlin's device, and knowing that the ZPM was already severly depleted from the Ori battle, I have estimates that a ZPM has about 100 Terawatts worth of power (100 trillion watts)

Even in 'Frist Strike', the ZPM made up the difference of what the geothermal plant couldn't produce, so we're looking at 300 Terawatts for the stardrive.

Do you have any idea how much power that is? If you converted that amount of power to Horsepower, heh.... average car probably does, what like 190-260 HP for its engine... 3 ZPMs give you 402 BILLION Horsepowers. You would need approx. 2 billion cars (averaged at 190 HP) running together to generate all that power.

Well, atleast now I know that if I bring 2 billion cars together I essentially have 3 ZPMs

Comment

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
            And i dont know about Anubis's supership being as big as Atlantis... maybe half the size if that, but i wouln't say that its the same size or bigger.
            Yes it is, and dont' argue with me on this, i'm not the one who has done the scaling. And It's been well established, in-fact, everyone who has scaled SG ships and Atlantis, has believes so.

Here's one of the threads, there's also another thread, but i can't find it.
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27438

Comment

As we saw in "The Return" (Parts 1 & 2) The Ancients managed to rustle up 3 ZPM's out of nowhere which begs the question as to where ZPM's actually come from. Before alternative power sources should be considered surely we should all go looking for the ZPM machine - I can only imagine is somewhere in Atlantis. In a city the size of Atlantis there could be one and they just haven't found it yet.

The Ancients were also experimenting with alternative power sources as seen in "Trinity" and that didn't end well.

Comment

actually the crew of the tria had one ZPM. The Replicators brought the other two with them. (or sent them to atlantis via the stargate)

As for the Mark 12 reactor in the Last Man that was 25 years down the line, and Atlantis would need several of them to even keep the shield up let alone fly.

neutrino Ion Generators the Asgard used are huge. I doubt there is room for them without heavy modifcation.

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
                  Yes it is, and dont' argue with me on this, i'm not the one who has done the scaling. And It's been well established, in-fact, everyone who has scaled SG ships and Atlantis, has believes so.

Here's one of the threads, there's also another thread, but i can't find it.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27438
                  Fine, I wont directly argue with you, but after looking at the thread you linked, I have serious problems with the people that did establish those scales, and will indirectly argue with you and everyone about this

If you would take a look at this picture http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s6/6...22%5F0691.html This picture, for me, establishes the scale of Anubis' ship compared to a standard Ha'tak

I've been working on a Stargate mod(ification) for a game, and while working on the ship models I made myself a comparison chart. Here is that image

I would give Anubis's ship is roughly the size of an Ori battle-cruiser. It appears that 4 Hataks, side by side, equal the diameter of Anubis' ship.

I know for a fact that the Hive/BC-304 scale is PERFECT. It was based on the famous screenshot during 'Allies' (Atlantis S02E20) when McKay and Sheppard were showing the presentation on the screen, on how to test beaming over the gas to the other hive. In fact, this is my primary source for scaling, my main reference being the BC-304.

The Atlantis scale is based on the fact that the BC-304 has landed next to a pier.

The scaling of the BC-304 and the Aurora are based on the shots shown in 'Aurora' (Atlantis, Season 02)

The scaling between the Ori ship/BC-304/Hatak are based on the shots shown in 'Camelot' (SG-1, S10E20)

A wraith cruiser/Asgard O'Neill class would be in between a Hatak and Aurora.

-------------------

Peragrin: I would also like to add to your point that the Asgard core is "too big to fit through the gate" as stated by Carter in 'Unending' (SG-1 S10E20)

Comment

70% of the stardrives power is used during the take off - Meaning that 70% of the power will be used to start up the star drive (which is just a bunch of ion engines, like the jumper has) and then build up the neccessary thrust for take off.
                    HhmMm Funny, it says......

"McKAY:........But thirty percent of our total power requirements are gonna be consumed in the first ten seconds of flight. The station will provide us with that power right up until we snap the umbilical, at which point we switch over to the ZedP.M."

Comment

Originally posted by Steven_the_Atlantean View Post
                      HhmMm Funny, it says......

"McKAY:........But thirty percent of our total power requirements are gonna be consumed in the first ten seconds of flight. The station will provide us with that power right up until we snap the umbilical, at which point we switch over to the ZedP.M."
                      Heh, oops, switched the percentages around lol thanks for that, was at work when i did that post.

Either way my argument still stands

Comment

Heh, oops, switched the percentages around lol thanks for that, was at work when i did that post.

Either way my argument still stands
                        Hahaha, I was about to say, if 70% of Power requirements are needed within the first few seconds of flight, The Expedition team wouldn't of wasted their time Jumping into hyperspace when they could of channeled all that power to the Shields....With or Without damanges Atlantis would of Jumped out of Hyperspace prematurely due to lack of power before they reached a habitual Planet.

But yeah about the other things you said, All I noticed was how TINY the Daedalus Class Battle Ships are compared to the others, Earth Seriously need to commence modifications to their ships and make them ATLEAST as big as a hive ship...that would help us considerably but anyways, I love it just the way it is! Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Steven_the_Atlantean View Post
                          Hahaha, I was about to say, if 70% of Power requirements are needed within the first few seconds of flight, The Expedition team wouldn't of wasted their time Jumping into hyperspace when they could of channeled all that power to the Shields....With or Without damanges Atlantis would of Jumped out of Hyperspace prematurely due to lack of power before they reached a habitual Planet.

But yeah about the other things you said, All I noticed was how TINY the Daedalus Class Battle Ships are compared to the others, Earth Seriously need to commence modifications to their ships and make them ATLEAST as big as a hive ship...that would help us considerably but anyways, I love it just the way it is! Hehe
                          To be honest, the daedalus is simply amazing. It is by far the most impressive thing any race has ever pulled off in stargate. Given that it is the smallest ship, it is one of the most powerful ship 1 vs 1. More so Post-Unending. Before we got the Asgard upgrades, we had the most defensive ship in both galaxies. With the addition of the asgard plasma beam weapons for all of our daedalus class ships, we have the most kick ass ship. The only thing we need to improve on is our power generators. If a current 304 has the Mark XII generator as talked about in 'The Last Man' (Atlantis S04E20... hehe 420, thats awesome, i just realized that), we would be set.

I also just love the daedalus

Comment

Halzman, there are a number of errors in your' scaling.
                            First, the Aurora and the Ori ship be a lot smaller then the Hive.
                            Second, Hive ships are bigger then Atlantis, they are the largest ships in SGU.

For reference, check, the first part of, No Man's Land, i think it's called Allies, but i'm not sure. Measure the Wraith transport ship against the Hive, then Atlantis. You got the 304 - Hive scaling right, but made the 304 too small to the Hatak. The Prometheus should be that size when compared to the Hatak, and the 304 should be slightly bigger.

And i think you shoud discuss this in the scaling thread.., or make your own scaling thread, i'll help if i can.

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post
                              Halzman, there are a number of errors in your' scaling.
                              First, the Aurora and the Ori ship be a lot smaller then the Hive.
                              Second, Hive ships are bigger then Atlantis, they are the largest ships in SGU.

For reference, check, the first part of, No Man's Land, i think it's called Allies, but i'm not sure. Measure the Wraith transport ship against the Hive, then Atlantis. You got the 304 - Hive scaling right, but made the 304 too small to the Hatak. The Prometheus should be that size when compared to the Hatak, and the 304 should be slightly bigger.

And i think you shoud discuss this in the scaling thread.., or make your own scaling thread, i'll help if i can.
                              Firstly, I didnt start the ship scaling topic. Someone else brought it up and I wanted to correct it. In my opinion, Anubis' ship is not larger then Atlantis. I am merely defending my position.

Secondly, the shot you are refering to is a) not the 'real' atlantis model b) not scaled properly. That entire shot is a glamour shot. Everyone on this forum, for the most part, knows that the scales between ships, depending on the scene, can vary. If we keep the scale of Atlantis being ~3.3 Km in diameter, do you know how large that transport ship would be? However, when you compare that scene with the scene in 'No Mans Land', right before Caldwell beams sheppard, mckay, ronin, and michael aboard the daedalus, we see the transport compared to the hive, the aurora, and the daedalus, and none of them are consistent.

As I stated, the picture shown in 'Allies', which shows a top view of a hive ship and the daedalus, is my Primary source for establishing any stargate ship scale. The reason for this is simple: The image is permanent. Its a true reference because no matter what, that scale will never change. However, as stated above, most scenes are not consistent with ship scaling. When I scale something I think a) is it realistic b) is it consistent with most scenes.

I know Atlantis is bigger then a Hive ship for these reasons: If you know the diameter of a stargate (which is beleive the outer diameter is 22ft) then you can calculate the diameter of a puddle jumper, also referencing any shot of the physical jumper set. Once you have that, you can calculate the length of a puddle jumper. From there, refer to the episode "Misbegotten' and at the end of the episode, you get the scale of a jumper compared to the daedalus. Now, if you refer to 'First Strike', at the end of the episode when Atlantis is flying, theres a top down view of the entire city, slightly obscurred by the shield, but clear enough. Look at the central spire, were the jumper bay door is, we know a jumper fits in that area. From there, you can determine the diameter of the central spire, and from there the size of Atlantis. And we already have the established shot of a daedalus compared to a hive ship. So there ya go.

Comment

Working...
                              X