This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheppard's Gene

When I was at the Van Con a few weeks ago, I asked Martin Gero if they would be expanding on Sheppard's use of his gene. He said the writers have decided "not to pursue that mythology anymore." I was surprised but we weren't able to finish the conversation.

When fans complain about SGA repeating story plots from SG1, Star Trek, the writers say it's hard to find new and different stories with so much already written out there. They say they write for how SGA responds to those story plots. Which in my mind is okay I guess, to a point.

In the pilot, 'Rising', wasn't a big deal made of Sheppard having the gene, "the likes we've never seen before", (Weir)? And haven't there been a few episodes where friend/foe have pursued "the one with the gene", (Wraith/Larrin,etc.)?

I feel the writers are missing an opportuniy here. Look at 'Baal' and the 'Ori'. Sheppard could end up being 'the answer', not just a one dimensional character. Anyone agree? And if so, how do we get our message across?

K.

You bring up some great points, I really thought they were going to do something with that too! in "Home" I was sure Shep's special qualities where related how he was "especially about to manipulate" his fake reality. At least in season one there was something more to Shep than meets the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by lcshepp View Post
      When I was at the Van Con a few weeks ago, I asked Martin Gero if they would be expanding on Sheppard's use of his gene. He said the writers have decided "not to pursue that mythology anymore." I was surprised but we weren't able to finish the conversation.
      What exactly does that mean anyway? That they are going to just not talk about the ATA gene anymore and hope the fans forget about it? I don't understand. *confused and disturbed*
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

I took it to mean that they weren't going to explore it any further. Basically what you see is what you get. M. Gero said now that several more people have the gene, it isn't that special anymore. Which I think is a sad missed opportunity. But what's more interesting is the lack of response I got from this post. Maybe more people feel like M. Gero does than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by lcshepp View Post
          But what's more interesting is the lack of response I got from this post. Maybe more people feel like M. Gero does than I thought.
          I'm guessing a lot of people haven't even seen it. You would probably get a lot more responses if you posted in the S5 forum. Maybe you could ask a mod to move the thread? I'm not sure if they will or not though. It is related to S5, but it's also character specific. *shrugs*
          - Life after Stargate -
          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
          sigpic

Comment

I never thought about it before but you are right there are new storylines there:

In SG-1, The gene was only to fly a puddle jumper or operate the chair.

In SGA, they can focus on Ancient genes effects in the process of hybridization An episode where Shepard is captured by Michael. Michael decides to turn him into a hybrid. How will the gene effect that?

The cure to the Hoffan drug is ATA gene therapy? I wonder how Todd will affect that?

Whatever happened to the Genii's attempt at gene therapy?
            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Working...
            X