This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to kill people off?

Ok in the torment of tantalus he is going through the stargate with a rope attached to him yet the stargate goes off when matter is going through also he survives on the other side..
    on 38 minutes when they get stuck in the space gate rodney said that the part inside the gate already would cease to exist and the other part would float in space..

how come the front end of the puddle jumper would cease to exist yet the dude from torment of tantalus survived?

Dare I say...plot hole?

Or maybe the gate can detect if whatever is going through it is sentient or something. It lets teh sentient through but then cuts the wormhole because it's just a rope, whereas in 38 minutes there are 2 people already in the event horizon and therefore buffer so the gate will try to keep them alive for aslong as possible.

Comment

in the episode where teacl kills major kawalsky they shutdown the earth gate, mabye in the begining back in the 50' the didn't have a relaible power transfer too sthe stargate

Comment

I'm sure you can turn a gate off whenever you want simply by 'pulling the plug' no power, no wormhole.

Comment

I thought the ones in the front of the puddle jumper would survive passing on to Atlantis. It's that the puddle-jumper would be sliced in half open to space that would kill the others.
          I haven't seen the episode in some time, maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Comment

Nope the ones stored in the buffer would simply be lost, deleted from the buffer, I believe they made it quite clear that the gate could only transport whole things, not parts, so if your arm is in the worm hole when it closes off it won't be on the other side, it will simply cease to be.

Comment

You have to remember that the SGC/SG-1/ SGA expedition have done stuff to override protocols and the basic gate functions. If the gate occured naturally with no alteration of the software it would stay open for 38 mins if there was matter not completley through. Remember eps like "The Enemy Within", "1969", "Red Sky", "A Matter of Time", and most recently "The Last Man", have all had something happen to the gate that normally doesn't happen, but because they were altered with certain bypass functions, stuff like this can happen.
              sigpic

Comment

The Program that they used inplace of the DHD must have been faulty, resulting in a lack of saftey precautions to prevent the gate from shutting down when an object is in transit. Carter probably fixed it later on.

Comment

Or long things like ropes (like in 100 days) or air hoses are special cases, and don't have to completely enter the event horizon to be transported, so Ernest was actually on the other side when the gate shut down and not stored in the buffer.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                    Or long things like ropes (like in 100 days) or air hoses are special cases, and don't have to completely enter the event horizon to be transported, so Ernest was actually on the other side when the gate shut down and not stored in the buffer.
                    This is also true in another episode (A Hundred Days maybe?) where a grappling hook is fired through the gate, and someone climbs through the event horizon on a rope.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                    ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                      This is also true in another episode (A Hundred Days maybe?) where a grappling hook is fired through the gate, and someone climbs through the event horizon on a rope.
                      Yep, that was 100 Days and Teal'c went through on the rope.

Comment

All these exceptions have happened with the Earth gate. Maybe because it has no DHD it does not have all the necessary protocols?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                          I know, I mentioned it.
                          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                            I know, I mentioned it.
                            So you did...I wasn't sure if that was the episode though.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                            ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Forgottensmoke View Post
                              Ok in the torment of tantalus he is going through the stargate with a rope attached to him yet the stargate goes off when matter is going through also he survives on the other side..
                              on 38 minutes when they get stuck in the space gate rodney said that the part inside the gate already would cease to exist and the other part would float in space..

how come the front end of the puddle jumper would cease to exist yet the dude from torment of tantalus survived?
                              I think the idea was actually that the back part would be all that would cease to exist in 38 minutes and everyone in the jumper would only die because well, half a jumper doesn't make for a particularly airtight spacecraft.

Comment

Working...
                              X