Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone seem to dislike Enterprise????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does everyone seem to dislike Enterprise????

Seriosly why doe everyone seem to hate enterprise it's one of if not the best Startrek show and a very good scifi show.

1. It's quiet dark if you ever actualy watch it. The Xindi series was beyond brilliant.
    2. True exploration, we got to see starfleet doing what it does best and because noones ever heard of starfleet they always try picking a fight with us.
    3. The characters were fun and great, They had the same atmosphere as the Voyager crew had about them.
    4. The MACO's were a brilliant addition and i feel should've been in it in the other series, for me it makes Earth more believable.
    if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Because it was
    - poorly written
    -- flagrantly violated established Trek history on numerous occasions
    - poorly acted
    - for the most part, had horribly uninteresting stories
    - required the help of an outsider to fix the mess left by the first 3 years
    - etc

Clear?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I can forgive a lot of things, but not the breaking of canon.

I'll watch Enterprise because it's Star Trek, but I tend to think of it as a song that's been covered but doesn't really live up to the original. It's good, but not as good as it could be--or even as it should be.

Comment

Not everyone. I love Enterprise. After DS9 is it my most fav ST. Seasons 3 and 4 were great imo.
        I disagree it was badly written or that actors were bad. Connor Trinneer and Scott Bakula are very good. Well, Jolene Blalock isn´t really too good but the rest, I think they were good.
        S3 was thrilling, with great story-arc, with a development for Archer or Trip.
        The last episode of the show was lame, it deserved better.
        They tried to explain few things so it would click with the future (in S4) and things like phaser with two settings, beginnings of beaming, tactical alert, realization that space isn´t a friendly space, I loved that.
        I love the idea of Gene Rodeberry about big Federation where everyone live in peace and respect each other.
        But, face it, big empires can never work that long and without problems. And they had to start somewhere. The world (or universe) and people (or anyone else) are not just black and white or good and evil.
        I think about myself as about trekkie since I was ten...and it is really long time. But I am not a ST purist who thinks that old ST is untouchable and that the ideas should stay.
        The world is changing, and people, too. If we want ever to see ST again in TV, it has to look like S3 and 4 of ENT. Or DS9.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
          Connor Trinneer and Scott Bakula are very good.
          I should have made that exception clear. You're right, Connor Trinneer generally did a terrific job on the show. Scott Bakula not so much though, IMO. I have nothing against him as an actor (I loved Quantum Leap) but his performance of Archer just seemed to tired and uninterested.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Overall, I've enjoyed what I've watched of Enterprise. I'm still trying to catch a few stray episodes on the Sci-Fi Channel.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I enjoyed Enterprise for the most part. Seasons 1 and 2 didn't live to to my expectations, but there were some great episodes in there. The Xindi arc in season 3 was brilliant, and season 4 was what Enterprise should have been from the beginning. Manny Coto [relation to Vir?] was the best thing that happened to the show. Look at the real stinker episodes in the last 2 seasons and you'll see that B&B were behind them, like the Nazi aliens and the TNG-based finale.

I enjoyed the feeling of wonder in the beginning, and how jaded Archer became by the 4th season, and how he got that wonder back as we drew closer to the Federation. Sure, the show had problems, but it wasn't all bad. The first half was shaky but the 2nd half, IMO, redeemed it.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I loved ENT watched religiously when it first aired. My other fave was TNG which I loved and watched religiously and in my AU TATV did not happen.

I had issues with Archer too and I loved Quantum Leap so I will say that he was poorly written and maybe that's why I didn't love Archer because I know Scott is good when he has good material.

I loved Trip and T'Pol both separately and as a couple/ship Hoshi was good too when they gave her something.
                sigpic
                My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                  Hoshi was good too when they gave her something.
                  You're speaking about Empress Sato. Prepare to receive instructions.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I don't hate Enterprise, I really like it. I try not to worry about canon so much and enjoy it for what it is. It started slow, but got better and better.
                    IMO Archer is a great Captain, as he was the one that opened up the new space frontier, and did not have the benefits future Captains had. Infact I just bought the whole of the 4 seasons on DVD and expecting their arrival anyday this week, and look forward to an enterprise marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                      Not everyone. I love Enterprise. After DS9 is it my most fav ST. Seasons 3 and 4 were great imo.
                      I disagree it was badly written or that actors were bad. Connor Trinneer and Scott Bakula are very good. Well, Jolene Blalock isn´t really too good but the rest, I think they were good.
                      S3 was thrilling, with great story-arc, with a development for Archer or Trip.
                      The last episode of the show was lame, it deserved better.
                      They tried to explain few things so it would click with the future (in S4) and things like phaser with two settings, beginnings of beaming, tactical alert, realization that space isn´t a friendly space, I loved that.
                      I love the idea of Gene Rodeberry about big Federation where everyone live in peace and respect each other.
                      But, face it, big empires can never work that long and without problems. And they had to start somewhere. The world (or universe) and people (or anyone else) are not just black and white or good and evil.
                      I think about myself as about trekkie since I was ten...and it is really long time. But I am not a ST purist who thinks that old ST is untouchable and that the ideas should stay.
                      The world is changing, and people, too. If we want ever to see ST again in TV, it has to look like S3 and 4 of ENT. Or DS9.
                      I think it's the second best series after DS9 as well. The problem is, Ent had weaker first and second seasons. Just like every series of Star Trek (aside from TOS). The difference is, Enterprise was cancelled. Hec, its first two seasons still put the first two of TNG and Voyager to shame. But it got cancelled and therefore missed out on the "prime of Trek" seasons- which for the other series' was seasons four through seven.

Then again I'm not concerned with every tiny little detail of canon, I just prefer a good story that as a whole fits in, and Enterprise had some very good stories.

Regarding the actors (and this is what frustrates me), they had some very good actors in Conner Trinner (especially), John Billingsly and Scott Bakula. Jolene Blalock was a passable actress, but she was hot, so of course she got lots of screen time. But they wallpapered everyone else, hence at season four these actors were at what should have been season one stage, in terms of skill and experience, simply because they didn't get the screen time. Which drives me nuts. They had a decent actor in Dominc Keating, and I think Linda Park could have been quite good, and they'd both have been better if they'd actually been given some material to work with. Anthony Montgomery had so little to do I couldn't even tell what his potential was. So that was my one real issue with the show. That and the last ep, but that's an obvious one.

Manny Coto tried to start fixing that, but by then UPN had pretty much made their choice, and the show was history.

And I absolutely agree on the comment that if we see Trek again it'll have to be in the format of DS9 or seasons three and four of ENT. TNG, TOS, and VOY style Trek simply wouldn't survive on television today- since then we've learned the wonders of the serialized drama/season-long plot arcs, etc. Which is a good thing. Trek needs to evolve otherwise what would be the point?

Comment

I think Enterprise was a fine show. The last episode sucked, but the rest of the show was fine. It had some canon problems in a couple episodes, but I am willing to forgive them because I like the feel of Enterprise more then the other shows. It just seemed more realistic. I guess thats relative.
                        I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                          I can forgive a lot of things, but not the breaking of canon.

I'll watch Enterprise because it's Star Trek, but I tend to think of it as a song that's been covered but doesn't really live up to the original. It's good, but not as good as it could be--or even as it should be.
                          Well to everyone that brings up the canon issue there's a very simple explanation which accounts for everything...........Temporal Col War.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            Well to everyone that brings up the canon issue there's a very simple explanation which accounts for everything...........Temporal Col War.
                            So does that mean that the events in Enterprise aren't in the same timeline/reality as the rest of the series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY)?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                              So does that mean that the events in Enterprise aren't in the same timeline/reality as the rest of the series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY)?
                              the way I see it, is that Enterprise is set in a alternate timeline that does not change the future events of the later series from TNG onwards since it only mainly breaks the original series canon. Even the name of the ship I see as a result of first contact. The NX class would have been built regardless and it would have been pretty much the same except with a different name. The reason why it's called Enterprise though is because in first contact Troi told Cochrane the name of the Enterprise E. So from his point of view when the warp 5 project started what better name to give the ship than the ship that saved humanity.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X