Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sentient Hive Ships? Hive Ship's OS? Questions about Hives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sentient Hive Ships? Hive Ship's OS? Questions about Hives?

About Hive Ships:

1. If they are biological/organic, are the hive ships sentient (like animals)? Or are they non-sentient organic/plantlike hulls which can be mind-controlled by the Wraith?

2. Living beings can't just grow hyperdrives. Are the Wraith Hyperdrives installed or are they part of the hive from the very beginning?

3. Do the Hives have brains? From my opinion, they are something like space crabs outfitted with hyperdrives (the exoskeleton-like hull and all) which means they must have a brain that prolly serves as an OS somewhere.

4. If they are non sentient, how do the Wraith operate the thing without an OS? Do they keep on stationing peeps to control the hive?

5. Do the Hives have autopilot? And if they do, is this controlled by the "brain"?

6. Any other questions I may add?

NOTE: This is my first post here, since I switched active forums. Anybody kind enough to answer this? Also, many peeps say I am confusing so I'll explain it detailed tomorrow. Right now, I'm gonna sleep *dozes off*
    Last edited by RM_2000_A; 12 April 2008, 04:08 PM. Reason: Added a question ;D

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
    Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
    The Chevron Team
    Spoiler:
    Never make everything Organic!
    Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
    :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
    :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
    :The drones are heading towards us.
    :Those drones look familiar...
    : SQUID?!?
    We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

the wraith have organic tech, meaning that the molecules their tech is made of contain carbon. Nothing more

Comment

All good questions, all with answers that would be speculation...so you should get a decent debate going.

Personally I think that Hives are created in two distinct 'steps'.

First the Wraith construct the inner 'skeleton' of sorts with all the things that probably aren't easy to make organically. IE hyperdrives, energy cannons, things like that. Then once they have that in place, they grow the organic parts of the ship around the skeleton.

There may be a central region of a hive that acts like a computer core, and I suppose the word brain might apply since it is organic. Or there may just be individual pathways from each terminal to every system creating tons of redundancy. Either way I don't think the hive is sentient in anyway, or for that matter even thinks or has a consciousness. If it is conscious to it's surrounding it's only in the most minimal way so that it can control various functions on the ship and be aware when they're not working properly. But definetly not sentient. You don't give weapons the ability to reason, cuz what happens when they disagree with you?

Comment

organic doesn't mean alive

Life: "(biology) a status given to any entity including animals, plants, fungi, bacteria, etc. — and sometimes viruses — having the properties of replication and metabolism." (wiktionary)

hive ships don't eat (as far as we know)
        and they don't replicate/multiply either

Organic - "(chemistry) relating to the compounds of carbon, relating to natural products" (wiktionary)

Comment

I mean, Do they have some form of sentience that serves as an operating system to the Wraith, or a brain(Organic.......) which serves as an OS, or do they attach computers to it and manipulate it using something? (Remember someone stimulated frog's legs to move using jolts of electricity)

The Chevron Team
          Spoiler:
          :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.

Comment

Originally posted by RM_2000_A View Post
            I mean, Do they have some form of sentience that serves as an operating system to the Wraith, or a brain(Organic.......) which serves as an OS, or do they attach computers to it and manipulate it using something? (Remember someone stimulated frog's legs to move using jolts of electricity)
            I think that's the most likely case. They create organic 'machines' that manipulate electrical signals that other systems on the hive respond to.

Comment

Originally posted by ijffdrie View Post
              the wraith have organic tech, meaning that the molecules their tech is made of contain carbon. Nothing more
              It's more than that, the ships grow and heal themselves, it's not like they just happen to be made from organic materials...

Comment

So, any more thoughts? And check the edited first post, since some peeps do not notice the new question, anyway.

The Chevron Team
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                  organic doesn't mean alive

Life: "(biology) a status given to any entity including animals, plants, fungi, bacteria, etc. — and sometimes viruses — having the properties of replication and metabolism." (wiktionary)

hive ships don't eat (as far as we know)
                  and they don't replicate/multiply either

Organic - "(chemistry) relating to the compounds of carbon, relating to natural products" (wiktionary)
                  I do not remember which episode in which it was stated, but the earthean atlanteans referred to the Wraith hive ships as being bio-mechanical. That means that the hives are most definitely living organisms. That does not, however, imply that they are sentient. Although that does bring up some interesting ideas regarding the possibilities of their nervous systems.

Wraithworshipper
                  sigpic

Comment

While a log cabin is also an organic construct Hives do regenerate though so there does seem to be some life in them. I would say they have a lot more in common with trees than they do with cats and dogs though. It's also possible that the completed hiveship form actually consists of many different living machines joined and combined together, the same way a conventional ship consists of many varied mechanical machines like engines, shields, gravity generators etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RM_2000_A
                      About Hive Ships:

1. If they are biological/organic, are the hive ships sentient (like animals)? Or are they non-sentient organic/plantlike hulls which can be mind-controlled by the Wraith?
                      I think they are non-sentient...more like part of the hive collective, but not the intelligent part. I think of a hive like the body, and the Wraith are the mind. The body can heal, can grow bone, can scab over an injury and heal itself - but it cannot think for itself. It needs to be controlled by an intelligence, and that intelligence is the Wraith mind (collective or individual).

2. Living beings can't just grow hyperdrives. Are the Wraith Hyperdrives installed or are they part of the hive from the very beginning?
                      I think it's just Wraith tech - developed by the Wraith outside of the ship and then installed into the hive, attached by umbilicals and whatever else they need to use. We REALLY need to see how this all works - I hope eventually it is revealed to us.

3. Do the Hives have brains? From my opinion, they are something like space crabs outfitted with hyperdrives (the exoskeleton-like hull and all) which means they must have a brain that prolly serves as an OS somewhere.
                      I don't think they have 'intelligent' brains, but a computer brain, yes - an operating system that allows the Wraith to mentally connect with the ship, much like those with the Ancient gene can control Ancient tech. The question is this - is that system something centrally located, or is it part of the ship as a whole, like its 'nervous system', stretching the length and breadth of the ship?

If the Hive ship had a consciousness, I think Teyla would have been able to sense it, especially in Spoils of War. She could connect with the control system of the ship, but she never indicated that that control system had an intelligence, or was sentient in any way.

4. If they are non sentient, how do the Wraith operate the thing without an OS? Do they keep on stationing peeps to control the hive?
                      Well, like I said above, I'm thinking that the operating system is like the nervous system that may or may not have a core. It runs throughout the ship, making it accessible from control stations located around the vessel.

5. Do the Hives have autopilot? And if they do, is this controlled by the "brain"?
                      I think if they have any sort of autopilot, it is controlled by the Wraith mind. It all depends, of course, if there is a central control system. Perhaps the control system is the Wraith mind, though I doubt it. Todd commanded that power be switched to hull regeneration, which indicates a need to physically direct energy to the part of the ship that needs repair.

6. Any other questions I may add?
                      Yes - I want to know if the Wraith, especially commanders and queens - have sleeping quarters, or do they sleep in 'cells', much like they use to store their food supplies in? Also, and most importantly, are their bathrooms on a hive ship...we MUST know the answer to this!!!

das
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                        I think they are non-sentient...more like part of the hive collective, but not the intelligent part. I think of a hive like the body, and the Wraith are the mind. The body can heal, can grow bone, can scab over an injury and heal itself - but it cannot think for itself. It needs to be controlled by an intelligence, and that intelligence is the Wraith mind (collective or individual).
                        An interesting way to look at Wraith ships. I had not really thought of them in those terms, but I think it is a good analogy. When McKay had to reach into the wall of the ship to access the "wiring" of a control panel, what he pulled out looked like nerves, blood vessels and tendons (trust me, I know what I am talking about here).

I don't think they have 'intelligent' brains, but a computer brain, yes - an operating system that allows the Wraith to mentally connect with the ship, much like those with the Ancient gene can control Ancient tech. The question is this - is that system something centrally located, or is it part of the ship as a whole, like its 'nervous system', stretching the length and breadth of the ship?
                        I think the operating system or brain is centrally located and connected to the ship as a whole. I think you would need a minimum number of inter-connected synapses, for lack of a better term, to enable it to function as an central operating system controlling all of the elaborate life support, mechanical and offensive and defensive functions of the ship. Even insects have a central nervous system. But there may be auxilliary autonomic sub-brains scattered throughout the ship, much as some very large dinosaurs had extra "brains" to control the posterior parts of their bodies. And I also believe that the ships are not sentient.

I think if they have any sort of autopilot, it is controlled by the Wraith mind.
                        Although we have never seen it used in the Hive ships, the dart that Sheppard was flying in one episode did switch to autopilot when it got near the Hiveship. So maybe the Hiveships have one as well.

One other question I have: Who are the Keepers and what is/was their role in maintaining the Wraith fleet? It was alluded to in Allies, but is still a mystery.
                        Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
                          One other question I have: Who are the Keepers and what is/was their role in maintaining the Wraith fleet? It was alluded to in Allies, but is still a mystery.
                          They are probably ones who take care of the Hives. They are something like gardeners/service staff. Another question, So who controls the Hive's autopilot? The brain or the computer systems? It woudn't be an autopilot if the Wraith were controlling the ship, using telepathy or manually "driving" it, anyways.

The Chevron Team
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
                            I think keeper's have two main functions. when the hive is awake, they act as technician's maintaining the ship/repairs. when the hive is in hibernation, their role shifts to guardian and monitoring the pods keeping sleeping wraith alive. we know from "the rising" if the keeper/guardian is killed, the wraith awake.

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
                              I think keeper's have two main functions. when the hive is awake, they act as technician's maintaining the ship/repairs. when the hive is in hibernation, their role shifts to guardian and monitoring the pods keeping sleeping wraith alive. we know from "the rising" if the keeper/guardian is killed, the wraith awake.
                              In short, Keeper is the most boring job in history.

Joking. Keepers are important, but they are made to be dead-men switches, as evidenced in Rising. And with that knowledge goes another question. Are the Keepers implanted with microchips or wake the Wraith through telepathy?

The Chevron Team
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X