When did the 'Drama' replace the 'Scifi'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did the 'Drama' replace the 'Scifi'

Some people complain new Battlestar became a soap opera or it "jumped the shark". When did the "drama" overtake the "science fiction", season 3 ?

It has been more of a "drama" than a "sci-fi" from the very start of the mini.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      It has been more of a "drama" than a "sci-fi" from the very start of the mini.....
      The love quadrangle of doom only appeared in S3
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...G=Search&meta=
      Results 1 - 10 of about 3,520 for bsg love quadrangle of doom
      why all the hate
      http://vnboards.ign.com/outpost/b221...00/r106928446/
      Season 3 went too emo for most of the fanbase.

Comment

even before the love quadrangle of DOOM! BSG was more Drama than Sci Fi

its just that the LQoD took it to a whole new level >_>

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer View Post
          even before the love quadrangle of DOOM! BSG was more Drama than Sci Fi

its just that the LQoD took it to a whole new level >_>
          Yup. But come on, The Love Quadrangle of Doom is the only universally hated thing about this show. Aside from "Black Market" and possibly "The Woman King". That's a pretty darn good track record if you ask me.

Comment

/raises hand

Not universally. I may not have enjoyed it as much as other things, but by no means did I hate it.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I still don't see the problem with black market and the woman king. Both of them showed alot of the goings on within the fleet. Which is good.......
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                I still don't see the problem with black market and the woman king. Both of them showed alot of the goings on within the fleet. Which is good.......
                I didn't really mind Black Market as much as everyone else, but TWK....I saw it when it was first on TV, and I'll never watch it again. Never before has BSG done an episode that's so bloody painful to watch in its boring and predictable plot AND characterization. IMO it honestly approached voyager and enterprise levels of outright BADness, which is quite a fall from grace for BSG.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  The main problem with those episodes was that there wasn't a proper setup/background or hints given in previous episodes. The podcasts gave the writers intentions and reasons, but for the average viewer, it didn't have the impact it could have and it is doubtful they would listen to the podcast. Tighter writing and a faster pace could have worked to make the best use of the ~42 minutes for each episode...say "Act 1" could have setup the episode (short series of flashbacks for example), then after the commercial go into the story...which would be standard procedure for a stand alone episode. It wouldn't detract from the overall arc or lessen the drama but would have enhanced it by putting pressure to find Earth more quickly.

I agree that BSG often overlooks what the people on other ships have to do in order to survive and it's a good thing to visit them every so often. Surprised we haven't seen Roslin take a tour of the fleet or stay on one of the ships for a day. She's seen as 'Moses" to some while Baltar has his own cult now.
                  It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

I think Unfinished Business (Lee Kara boxing) and BlackMarket (kid prostitutes) were some of the worst episodes of BSG. UB was stupid, Lee Adama getting his butt kicked by a girl was just silly and making a whole episode on apollo and starbuck's relationship is just too....boring, Dualla in UB was a mere afterthought and has remained so ever since the actor playing Billy quit the show. This is a shame because she was one of the few actors of African heritage that didn't get reduced to simple one-liners. The continuity in BlackMarket was terrible, and the story was about something controversial just for the sake of controversy, casting Bill Duke became a wasted opportunity....and why would one of the hottest hot shot pilot in the fleet have to pay for hookers?

Comment

Originally posted by CaldwellForce View Post
                      Some people complain new Battlestar became a soap opera or it "jumped the shark". When did the "drama" overtake the "science fiction", season 3 ?
                      Since they first decided to make the new series?
                      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

To me it became more of a drama because they use....

1. Suit and ties...and modern day clothing instead of tights and shiny boots.

2. Bullets instead of lasers and beam weapons.

3. No "bugged eyed"(Olmos quote,) aliens.

4. No hokey orchestra music....with a theme that stays in your head forever.

5. Characters are actually effected and traumatized by the events on

the show. Not giving comedic one-liners after saving the universe and on to

taking on the next force who wants to take over the universe......
                        Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by X-3-0-2 View Post
                          I think Unfinished Business (Lee Kara boxing) and BlackMarket (kid prostitutes) were some of the worst episodes of BSG. UB was stupid, Lee Adama getting his butt kicked by a girl was just silly and making a whole episode on apollo and starbuck's relationship is just too....boring, Dualla in UB was a mere afterthought and has remained so ever since the actor playing Billy quit the show. This is a shame because she was one of the few actors of African heritage that didn't get reduced to simple one-liners. The continuity in BlackMarket was terrible, and the story was about something controversial just for the sake of controversy, casting Bill Duke became a wasted opportunity....and why would one of the hottest hot shot pilot in the fleet have to pay for hookers?
                          Why is lee getting his butt kicked by a girl silly? It is Starbuck. I mean she's frakking hard.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                            Agreed.

It just happens to take place in space on a space ship. It's always been about the drama for me. While the sci-fi aspect makes the story interesting because of the setting and the predicament they are in as well as the sci-fi-ish nature of the Cylons, the character interactions and relationships have always been my favorite part.

The whole quad did make for some bad, vomit inducing drama, but after rewatching Season 3 on dvd, there were some redeemable parts to it.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                              Agreed.

It just happens to take place in space on a space ship. It's always been about the drama for me. While the sci-fi aspect makes the story interesting because of the setting and the predicament they are in as well as the sci-fi-ish nature of the Cylons, the character interactions and relationships have always been my favorite part.

The whole quad did make for some bad, vomit inducing drama, but after rewatching Season 3 on dvd, there were some redeemable parts to it.
                              I agree- it wasn't nearly as headache inducing as it was on TV. Perhaps because on DVD it doesn't feel as if it's dragging on for months? I got through those eps in about four or five days. Not to mention that isn't nearly close to the entire plot for those episodes (except "Unfinished Business" which was the one episode the quad storyline was actually interesting to watch) which have plenty of other excellent factors to them "Taking a Break From All Your Worries" for example. Absolutely fascinating ep except for the quad.....but the rest is so good it's hardly affected by it.

Comment

Working...
                              X