• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sine Qua Non (408)

Visit the Episode GuideBATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON FOUR
    SINE QUA NON
    EPISODE NUMBER - 408

Zarek assumes the presidency in Roslin's absence, triggering a power struggle within the fleet. Admiral Adama puts the fleet at risk in his search for Laura.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 25 April 2011, 04:29 PM.

this episode has aired in the UK so i'm opening the thread.

a warning to ALL

this is ONLY for discussion by those that have seen the episodes. Any and ALL countdown or anticipation type posts will be deleted and, if it becomes a problem, I'll happily gag those that clutter this discussion thread up with nonsense, so please keep that kind of stuff to the pre-airing thread

thank you
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

might as well move this in here

i dunno why they brought romo back in this ep either. other than to make lee pres. i wonder if romo was the one who did it with caprica 6? and just when did his cat die? im lost. did he get another one like the one he lost?

according to the podcast of the ep where tigh had admiral tags earlier in this season, him becoming admiral=blue about the final cylon. the only person i can think of would be adama lol which isnt good news. since itll mean both the admiral and the commander=cylons. and it would go against rdm saying it wouldnt be one of the main ppl. husker is now allll alone out there. all alone.

athena is back to humming the cylon song . andnatalie is gone. i really thought she was going to last longer. i wonder tho was she really projecting or was that just "God" taking her? perhaps when cylons die they goto a forest and walk to the opera house?

Comment

Wow, aren't things changing?! We have a new President AND a new Admiral in one episode! And both choices are good ones.

Sad to see Natalie go, I much preferred her character than Caprica. Very disappointed in Sharon, she seems to have lost perspective and clarity in executing Natalie, and I had hoped for more than just some brig time as punishment. Adama should have made her stay behind with him as penance.

Romo's return did seem a tad unnecessary, and those feline enthusiasts on here will likely be dismayed to learn that he carries around his dead cat in a gym bag. And his scene at the end with Lee seemed to be a whole lot of fluff and blah, as we yet again see a character so enamored with self-indignation that they project their resentments on others. In this case Romo toys with the idea of taking the life of our presidential hopeful because he will likely make things better for the Fleet and re instill a sense of hope -- a happiness he wishes to deprive humanity of at his own selfish desire. Nice pistol though!

Perhaps the biggest shock of the episode, however, was in learning that Tigh has impregnated Caprica Six!! We had all suspected he was in some form of sexual relationship with the prisoner, but to have delivered her a BABY... and both parents are Cylons!! We had thought this not possible! Yikes! And didn't the Admiral blow steam?! Loved his tussle with Tigh!

And so next episode, we see what was happening on the other side of the coin -- Roslin, Baltar and the Cylon-Colonial tag team take on the Resurrection Hub... here's hoping we finally get to see D'Anna again.
        sigpic

Comment

i dunno why they brought romo back in this ep either. other than to make lee pres. i wonder if romo was the one who did it with caprica 6? and just when did his cat die? im lost. did he get another one like the one he lost?
          the cat we see in this episode wasnt real it was a figment of his imagination

Lee asked why he hadnt fed the cat yet and where it was... now why would he ask where the cat was when it was like right in pretty much plain sight...

oh and Romo is the only one who can see the thing the whole episode

then we have the fact Lee said the cat had been dead for weeks and its quite obvious it hasnt been weeks since the base star went *poof*
          Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 28 May 2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Well 8 episodes in and so far....no excitement.

Anyone else praying that all this boring stuff is somehw necessary for something truly awesome to happen.

This season had so much promise but so far it's just been one bitter disappointment after another. The only time that I've even felt a shadow of the excitement of the first 3 seasons was when the Cylon Base Ship jumped into the fleet without the.....urgh what was it's name....you know the sewage ship, and the Galactica rounded on it and was about to fire.

Comment

So... Romo projected a cat?

He's totally a Cylon.

---

I was half-very-impressed and half-less-than-impressed with this episode. Things certainly got interesting and tense and I'm always glad to see Tom Zarek onscreen, but it felt a bit clumsy with the pacing and the storylines. I don't know. I'll have to watch it again.
              Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
              sigpic

Comment

Well, that was a little, erm, slow.
                We only had two episodes with a bit of pace to them and here we're back on the gravy train.

If I was a person in the colonial fleet I would be rioting at the appointment of Saul Tigh. After what he did at the beginning of season two Adama hands him the wheels? The civilian shootings, splintering the fleet etc.
                Oh yeah, great choice. I don't care if Adam thinks he's changed, or how dramatic it is to have a Cylon in charge of everything; this kind of news would probably not come as welcome news to the RTF.

So now we have Saul Tigh and Lee Adama shoehorned into their proper positions for the climactic end (of the first half).
                I just hope the show gets on with it now.

...Is it a little sick to be hoping for the LQoD days?
                Last edited by GateofDOOM; 28 May 2008, 12:57 AM.
                "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Well I for one absolutely adored this episode. Yes it was a slow episode again but it was great. Romo Lampkin was in it and the whole episode can be summed up in seven word "All for the love of a woman" I will write a proper review when I am more coherent and after having re-watched it.
                  He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                  He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                  And he's wonderful.

Comment

It did appear later on that the cat was just in Romo's mind.

Seems to be a plot device for Zarek not to assume at least, Presidential duties in Roslin's absence. The writers are creating their own political rules if the council 'elects' a new President, while forgetting that Roslin was #43 in line and became President. Roslin at that time wasn't on Adama's 'A' list either.

Somebody will find out about Caprica 6 and Saul sooner or later. A bit odd that Baltar is out of Caprica 6's love life or is she? Head Six must be something else...maybe Count Ilbis?

Overall, not a bad episode. It seems to be a setup for future conflicts in the fleet and may test the remaining survivors and the main characters loyalities and personal beliefs.
                    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

I liked this ep a lot, I don't mind this sort of political episode because it was still Sci-Fi whereas a lot of the episodes where not much action happened back in season three could just as easily have been set on Earth instead of in space.

So along with Head Baltar and Head Six we now have a Head cat?

I am very interested in the fact that Six is pregnant, any ideas as to how two Cylons are having a child when we were told they couldn't?

Was Natali killed before or after the resurrection hub was destroyed? If it was before then there's still hope for her <crosses fingers>.

I am really looking forward to next weeks one, it will be interesting to see how the Cylons got the humans to fight alongside them even after they were "kidnapped."

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi View Post
                        Seems to be a plot device for Zarek not to assume at least, Presidential duties in Roslin's absence. The writers are creating their own political rules if the council 'elects' a new President, while forgetting that Roslin was #43 in line and became President. Roslin at that time wasn't on Adama's 'A' list either.
                        The Quorum wasn't intact in the Miniseries, so we have no way of knowing what they could have been able to do regarding appointing a president. And it's not really different from their "vote of no confidence" they were thinking about bringing against Roslin last episode.

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                        I am really looking forward to next weeks one, it will be interesting to see how the Cylons got the humans to fight alongside them even after they were "kidnapped."
                        I thought the Viper that Racetrack and Skulls found was empty; i.e. there was no one flying it, so it could have been debris from the destroyed basestar. There's no evidence (yet) that the Colonials fought alongside the Cylons.

Originally posted by GateofDOOM View Post
                        ...Is it a little sick to be hoping for the LQoD days?
                        No. It's a lot sick, you sicko.
                        Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                        sigpic

Comment

Slow episode but important none the less, the only reason the series is slowing down now is to set the stage. This felt like a prelude to the upcoming episode which will be the real follow up to Guess what's coming to dinner.

One thing felt amiss though, why didn't we hear Gaeda singing during the two ER sequences? Asleep?

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                          Was Natali killed before or after the resurrection hub was destroyed? If it was before then there's still hope for her <crosses fingers>.
                          Good point, that's one way to transfer a character from one location to the other, isn't it?

I find it ironic that during everything Tigh is going through his judgment is actually seemingly solid. He's more a commander now that he was before so why the hell did Adama go after him for getting some... relief? Half of Adama's crew has been screwing Cylons it seems, why would this be any different? Why mess with something that seems to be keeping Tigh on the level even if only to make people think that there's nothing wrong?

Funny scene when Adama said "you've been going through things I can't even begin to imagine" and Tigh's expression is "You ain't just whistling Dixie!". Why does that old fart get all the priceless moments these days?

Also is it possible that conception between two Cylons (Tigh/Six) is due to Tigh being one of the final five? The standard models cannot copulate but perhaps the originals can?

Comment

We know Cylon women can have children and we know members of the final five can help conceive, since Chief has already produced a kid, so I don't think Tigh and 6 is such a stretch, other than the whole "cylons can't have children together" deal, but as someone said, the Final Five are "different" from the other models, so I'm sure the same rules don't apply. And it seems to me that Tigh, if he's done this, was acting out of his love for Ellen, not 6, since he consistently sees her in 6's face.

Also, I believe Natalie is dead and gone because I seem to recall her saying earlier on the baseship, before it jumped to Galactica, that they were too far away from any resurrection ship or hub to come back, thus when she shot New Caprica 6 she was dead dead.
                            "Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" - Tom Zarek

Comment

Great ep

lee become president of the colonies

Lee “I, Leland Joseph Adama, do now avow and affirm.”
                              Priest: “That I take the office of the President of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol without any moral reservation or mental evasion.”
                              Lee: “That I take the office of President of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol without any moral reservation or mental evasion.”
                              Priest: “That I will protect and defend the articles of colonization.”
                              Lee: “That I will protect and defend the articles of colonization.”
                              Priest: “With every fiber of my being.”
                              Lee: “With every fiber of my being.”
                              Priest: Congratulations, Mr. President.

WOOT!!!!

bill gives up his command and gives saul the rank of admiral

we get romo and jake the dog back all in one ep

loved that bill used husker at the end of the ep ....felt like watching razor again. i always thought lee's name was just lee ....kinda funny to hear his say "Leland Joseph Adama"

can't wait for "the hub" and seeing saul in command
                              Last edited by Pharaoh Atem; 29 May 2008, 02:28 AM.
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X