• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Road Less Traveled (405)

Visit the Episode GuideBATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON FOUR
    THE ROAD LESS TRAVELLED
    EPISODE NUMBER - 405

Tensions mount on board the Demetrius when Kara picks up Leoben adrift in a damaged Cylon ship, adding to the crew's distrust of her. Tyrol investigates Baltar's growing cult.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 25 April 2011, 04:27 PM.

How dare they kill off Gunny Matthias. They should've just killed off that pistol-whipped Viper pilot dude instead.

Comment

Spoiler:
      The whole Tyrol and Baltar thing was just too strange for me, doesn't make sense in light of their characters. I wonder if Tory will confess to Baltar that she killed Cally. I do not understand Baltar's interest in Tyrol unless it was the result of Tory's manipulations.
      The way "Gonzo" went down I thought Helo had taken him out for good.
      When in trouble, "send lawyers, guns and money!"

Comment

i cant believe they ended it with a dang blasted mutiny! what a waste. they couldve jumped and been on the basestar and ended it with that. but noooooooo we have another waste of time mutiny on our hands. and now one really has to wonder if the chief really did hear baltar's speech last week at the end of the ep, since we know its being broadcasted. so i guess baltar is going to be helping the chief get over his loss? hm 2 of the final five are now in baltar's religion. i wonder how tigh will get dragged in?

Comment

Review written as the episode aired...

- I'm not a huge fan of Starbuck so I'm not terribly looking forward to this episode. I've seen a lot of fans saying how we are being shown how Roslin was never the dying leader/prophet to begin with (espeically in the camps who didn't like the character to start with), but I have to wonder why those same fans don't face the fact that we're being shown as much doubt in Starbuck as we are in Laura.

- I have hesitated to say this for the last few episodes, but I find the Baltar plot massively offensive. I have never found the monotheistic one god plot to be so from the cylons, but within the context of Baltar with so many pointed references to Jesus Christ I find this particular plot thread to be blasphamous. BSG often makes political points I am uncomfortable with, but if they do not stop equating Gaius Baltar to the son of God I will seriously come away from the series with a very nasty after taste. Hollywood is at its worst when it assumes that their audience doesn't take faith seriously. I am their audience. I take faith seriously, and using the villin-oversexed-comic relief as a representation of one of the world's major religions is taking things too far. I am a hard core fan and MY patience is growing very thin with this RDM.

- "How does she go from antidepresents to suicide?" Obvious the Chief knows nothing about antidepresents. They often give people just enough energy to carry through on their plans before they are well enough to get better.

- Tory is creepy. Is this going to be the road of redemption for the sinner after all?

- Is Anders growing a backbone? Maybe he borrowed Helo's since Helo seems to have lost his. An XO's job is not just to follow orders, it's to judge if the captain has gone over the bend and put other's lives in danger. Kara has now demonstrated that she is a threat to the lives of everyone on that ship and she needs to be relieved of command.

- Sharon has a better understanding of cylons than anyone on that ship, Helo should listen to his cylon wife.

- "If there is a god he's laughing his ass off."

- Oh no, they killed Mathias! *******s!

- I wonder if the final four have anti-suicide programming. This isn't the first time he's not carried through when he clearly had intent.

- Oh yes Starbuck, you are leadership material.

- This is not reasonable for Helo to be taking this position. He's not this dumb. He is loyal to a fault, but he is also a moral pillar in the show and I do not believe he would injure a crewman who was voicing legitimate and reasonable doubts. We already know that within the context of this world it is a military officer's duty not to obey an illegal order and Starbuck has now exceeded her orders from Adama, gotten someone killed, and is now threatening to condemn them all to being lost in space on a sewage scawl. It is not a mutiny to relieve a clearly mentally impared commander.

- Just because a man reforms does not mean that he may be the savior of other men's souls. At least they had him apologize for the presumption, but that doesn't change the fact that Baltar is still arrogant and smarmy and is not the mouth that salvation should be heard.

Comment

you make a good point of how two of the finale five are in baltars camp, and how tigh will end up there too. i could possiably see him following baltar but then again its not tigh, but then hes been acting not the same since hes been visiting six. the munity i thought was a good point to end the ep, makes you wonder how she'll get out of all the mess, and what the crew will do. this weeks ep just set more stuff up, and it was good, but i just enjoyed last weeks more then this weeks, but know next week will be one of this seasons best looking from the preview.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer View Post
              - I have hesitated to say this for the last few episodes, but I find the Baltar plot massively offensive. I have never found the monotheistic one god plot to be so from the cylons, but within the context of Baltar with so many pointed references to Jesus Christ I find this particular plot thread to be blasphamous. BSG often makes political points I am uncomfortable with, but if they do not stop equating Gaius Baltar to the son of God I will seriously come away from the series with a very nasty after taste. Hollywood is at its worst when it assumes that their audience doesn't take faith seriously. I am their audience. I take faith seriously, and using the villin-oversexed-comic relief as a representation of one of the world's major religions is taking things too far. I am a hard core fan and MY patience is growing very thin with this RDM.
              While I personally dislike the Baltar-turned-religious-figure plot, I'm not so sure that RDM is trying to equate Baltar with Jesus. He's actually closer to Muhammad, since Baltar is more of a prophet than any son of a diety. What I find fascinating (and I think the point RDM is making) is that people assume he's a Jesus allegory. But, just like the suicide bombing on New Caprica wasn't intended to be based on either Iraq or the French suicide bombings of WW2, I don't think RDM is trying to portray Baltar as Jesus.

What I think RDM is trying to show is Baltar becoming a religious figurehead. That is a theme you see many times in many religions. The closest allegory I can think of, as I said earlier, is Muhammed. For various reasons, Baltar sees himself, despite every attempt to convince himself as otherwise, as the spokeman of a God. In that sense, I think he's hit it right on the mark.

But I see again and again that people assume that RDM is doing a Jesus thing with Baltar. What is it about the portrayal that evokes such a reaction? Why is it specifically Jesus, and not a generic prophet? And if RDM isn't trying to do a Jesus with Baltar, what's the basis for being upset with him?

That said, I'm not a big fan of the religious aspect of BSG. While I understand its central role in human life, and thus it really does have a place in the BSG universe (since RDM is holding a mirror to ourselves with much of his BSG work), I'd rather not focus on that. I'd rather see the other aspects of the BSG universe, the story, the characters, etc. Unfortunately (for me), RDM has chosen to make religion a part of the BSG story. And, as I can see, it causes hot-button reactions, just like the suicide bombings, and the occupation theme at the beggining of season 2 (where many people were convinced it was a statement on Iraq and the US leadership).

Comment

While I personally dislike the Baltar-turned-religious-figure plot, I'm not so sure that RDM is trying to equate Baltar with Jesus. He's actually closer to Muhammad, since Baltar is more of a prophet than any son of a diety. What I find fascinating (and I think the point RDM is making) is that people assume he's a Jesus allegory. But, just like the suicide bombing on New Caprica wasn't intended to be based on either Iraq or the French suicide bombings of WW2, I don't think RDM is trying to portray Baltar as Jesus.
                because atleast when he has the beard he bore a striking resemblance toward Jesus..

although his coat gave me Joseph and the Technicolour dream coat vibes this week for some reason

Im more interested in Tyrol and Leoban... Iv always liked Galen and honestly his whole plotline this season is quite depressing and Im really hoping he gets his act together because there is only so much angst I can take

and Leoban... well Iv always found him amongst the most interesting characters in the series and his relation ship with Starbuck is just interesting to me I really wonder whats going to happen with him and how the feth he knows so much crap about her and her destiny

Comment

- I have hesitated to say this for the last few episodes, but I find the Baltar plot massively offensive. I have never found the monotheistic one god plot to be so from the cylons, but within the context of Baltar with so many pointed references to Jesus Christ I find this particular plot thread to be blasphamous. BSG often makes political points I am uncomfortable with, but if they do not stop equating Gaius Baltar to the son of God I will seriously come away from the series with a very nasty after taste. Hollywood is at its worst when it assumes that their audience doesn't take faith seriously. I am their audience. I take faith seriously, and using the villin-oversexed-comic relief as a representation of one of the world's major religions is taking things too far. I am a hard core fan and MY patience is growing very thin with this RDM
                  [mod snip]

I disagree entirely that they expect their audience not to take faith seriously. Entirely the opposite, I think. I think that they're writing to an audience assumed not to be bogged down by dogma and the closemindedness that the quoted paragraph seems (emphasis there, seems, I'll be happy to be wrong) to be expressing.

Besides that they've never even hinted at the idea of Baltar as being the son of god, not once to my recollection. He's preaching and spreading the word, which seems entirely more akin to figures like Abraham, Moses, Jesus (in Islamic tradition), or Muhammad. In other words, prophets, not divine saviours.

Just because he happened to have a beard and fit into medieval and post-medieval Western European imagery of 'white man with long hair and beard' doesn't make him a Jesus figure. His beard started in Cylon captivity, continued through his trial, and was shaved off when the religious business started.

Comments on them supposedly associating Baltar with Jesus are far more telling about the poster than they are about the show's writing.
                  Last edited by Madeleine; 03 May 2008, 12:45 AM.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I can't believe they killed Sergent Mattias! She was awesome!

But Leoben was back this week! About time. I want to see this whole special destiny plot play out.

Comment

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is two parter not called a two parter. The We end at what feels like act 3 of a five act play we are JUST starting to get to the high point of the drama and boom come back next week.

As set up goes this was boring and they have done a much better job of it in the past. But will wait for the Pay off before I give full judgment.

A few thoughts Athena seems way under used in this episode. She spent years living with the Cylons before joining the Fleet she still knows more about them than anyone and she had all of 5 lines. I would have expected her to play a much more active role. Rather than just pulling on Halos shirt tail whispering to him from time to time.

I think it also interesting that of the four new cylons that the least developed character before the revel is now the one thats the most cylon I guess it takes a while over write 3 year of character development...oh wait almost everything likable about the chief is almost gone already I guess it doesn't take that long. This is quickly becoming Battlestar Cylon. And while I liked it at first the final four are just dragging this show down now.

Additional: for being all "ballazy and willing to do anything" we sure are seeing a lot secondary characters die. I guess this is how the show will end no one overly important dying each week. but they don't kill red shirts....
                      Last edited by Night Marshal; 03 May 2008, 01:28 AM.
                      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Of all the episodes that I have watched, this one seems the most realistic, and actually boring one. I wouldn't think it as bad if the one before it was aired with this one as a two-parter, but waiting a week to see this is kinda dull.

Anyway, enough with the complaints.

Kara finally showed some of her humanity and military background when she punched Leoben for the death of her subordinate. This reminds me that Kara is still human... or at least the pre-viper-incident kara.

-----
                        Baltar and Tory... Well the love of Sex can cause strange alliances... and bedfellows. It isn't that suprising for me to believe that Tory will side with this anti-christ based figure. I do believe that Baltar is intended to be portrayed more as a religious figurehead somewhere between Islam and the traditional vision of an Anti-Christ.

As always, As a Messianic Jew I use the science and "fake-religions" of the Series and compare it to my own. I actually like the occasional questioning of a God's existence or something like that. I can look at the RL questions poised by the series and give them serious thought. At any-rate this series hasn't convinced me that there isn't the God whom I and Christianity believe in. Well anyway. This isn't a religion board. Back to my Battlestar.
                        ----------------
                        Anders... You really love your wife don't you..? That man... Achem... Cylon... Is ready to support his wife to her bitter end.
                        Spoiler:
                        The previews for the next episode really make me wonder by his actions if his "programming" activated.

Kara, I don't really know what to make of you, just that I believe you are the same girl... at least physically. Mentally...
                        Spoiler:
                        (Did Anders shoot Geta to protect you because he is programmed to protect the final five?)

Now as for Tyrol, He had better shapen up. Going from a mechanic who lost his wife... to a supporter of Baltar. (Out of the frying pan). I wonder why he didn't just resign his commission and go Lee Adama on his shipmates. If he is that worried about fracking up, he doesn't need to be near any heavy ordinance.
                        Ani Ohev Eretz Yisrael V'Chol Hakavod L'Tzahal.
                        -----------------------------------------------
                        I support Israel, my home, and my Jewish bretheren fully and with all my heart. I wish everyone I know in Tzahal health and safety!

Is loving the best addition to the Stargate Saga, known as Universe!

Comment

Well, here's an interview with RDM himself discussing this very topic:
                          http://www.beliefnet.com/story/166/story_16650_1.html

From reading this, I get the impression that he does indeed take the religious aspects of the show, and the faith of its fans, very seriously, although perhaps not as seriously as you do.

DB

Comment

tyrol seems like the apostle paul. if one equates baltar to being jesus. hm who does tory seem like of the disciples? and who would tigh be? anders definitely would easily fall into being part of the baltar religion

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post
                              A few thoughts Athena seems way under used in this episode. She spent years living with the Cylons before joining the Fleet she still knows more about them than anyone and she had all of 5 lines. I would have expected her to play a much more active role. Rather than just pulling on Halos shirt tail whispering to him from time to time.
                              I had a similar thought when I was watching the episode but then I felt it makes sense. There'll always be a sense of suspicion around here when it comes to her loyalty between the humans and the cylons so she deliberatly chose not to impose her on the whole situation. There are some scenes where she is quite prominently in the picture as if she's going to do something without anything really happening with her character, which gave me the impression that her character genuinly considered intervening at times but decided against it. Which was undoubtedly the smartest move considering how touchy everyone is with the cylons.
                              I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X