Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Fic Recs

Default Re: Sam Fic Recs

Quote Originally Posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
    Read Masquerade by Jo R. last night. Was good PG-13, SJ established. A very different Sam!
    Did you read the sequel? It's also very good.

Another very good stroy by Jo.R is Surface Tension

It's a split story between Sam and Weir, about Weir coming back to Atlantis and how everyone deal with it. Sam/Jack and Elizabeth/John ship.

This is a great thread. But I have to ask...

Quote Originally Posted by samcarterrules View Post
    What about OoC fics
    ...what are OoC fics? I just do not do well with all these abbreviations.

Quote Originally Posted by sbz View Post
    This is a great thread. But I have to ask...

...what are OoC fics? I just do not do well with all these abbreviations.
    OoC is out of character. Fics where the characters don't act in the same way as they would on the show.
    Last edited by jasminaGo; April 19th, 2008 at 11:46 PM.

Ah, thank you. I guess that makes sense. Though wouldn't OoC fics be considered... well, bad. Since they're out of character and all? Or is that term just applied to any fic where someone's different, even if it's a difference that's explained/developed/built up in the fic?

Quote Originally Posted by sbz View Post
    Ah, thank you. I guess that makes sense. Though wouldn't OoC fics be considered... well, bad. Since they're out of character and all? Or is that term just applied to any fic where someone's different, even if it's a difference that's explained/developed/built up in the fic?
    OoC is everthing that isn't cannon. A bad OoC fic is lets say..Sam falls apart in tears, or she acts condescending and bi***y toward everyone for no reason. If the actions are explained, there is a reason for the character to act the way he/she is than it's ok. It all comes down to the writing and the plot of the story.

This is how I see it, if I messed up the explanation someone please correct me.

Lieutenant Colonel samcarterrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jasminaGo View Post
    OoC is everthing that isn't cannon. A bad OoC fic is lets say..Sam falls apart in tears, or she acts condescending and bi***y toward everyone for no reason. If the actions are explained, there is a reason for the character to act the way he/she is than it's ok. It all comes down to the writing and the plot of the story.

This is how I see it, if I messed up the explanation someone please correct me.
    Yeah, that's how I see OoC too.

Julia(samcarterrules)
    Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

i've never called 'out of canon' fic to be out of characer, rather i call them Altrnate Universe.

Queen Kat
    (Moderator)
    2nd star to the right & straight on 'til morning

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    i've never called 'out of canon' fic to be out of characer, rather i call them Altrnate Universe.
    That's always been my understanding.

To me out of character fic is:

Jack acting like a S.O.B. because Sam took the Atlantis job instead of settling down with him in Washington

Jack and Sam being all gushy and goo goo eyed with each other

Daniel being a crybaby

And so forth

(Moderator)

right, or like someone mentioned, sam brusting into tears in the gateroom or jack recklessly endangering one of hte others or teal'c hurting one of them deliberately or something like that

ooh, and a goodie, jack serenading sam outside her window

I'm not saying that the characters can't be written that way, you just need to explain why it's happening. Personally, i can't see sam and jack getting together until season 6 at least...but if there's a fic with them as a couple prior to that, cool, for me at least, there just n eeds to be a reason for it to happen.

LIke in Redeeming Qualities, jack had to leave sam behind, something that he'd have never done, but earth had 24 hours left before it blew up, his duty was there first, sam second. although i'm sure some will disagree, it worked for me

Queen Kat
    (Moderator)
    2nd star to the right & straight on 'til morning

Right.

Take "The Way..." series. Sam seems to be very much out of character, especially in the first one, but when you look at the context, at what has happened, what she's been through, what's she's seen, it's becomes reasonable to think that she very well may have reacted that way. So to me it's really not out of character given the circumstances.

And oy - Jack serenading Sam outside her window is just wrong on soooo many levels.

(Moderator)

no, she's not. sam in 'the way' is not OUR sam.

Spoiler:
    she was a woman driven nearly mad by losing her whole planet, then who was irrevokably changed by not only earth dying but also by what happened to her.

she's a sam that's lived with 20+ years of hard knocks and learning that she can only count on herself and that close circle.

she was changed the moment earth blew up

and it'll be interesting to see how sbz will wrap it up, if she resets or if that sam has to integrate into the current timeline

in freedom from the past, both sam and teal'c went rogue, and the hardest part of writing is was making it logical for them to do so.

so sam had to get injured and be off the active rotation, teal'c had to be desperate to leave, so it made sense. and getting both of them to that stage was the hardest part of the fic

Lieutenant Colonel SamJackShipLover's Avatar

ooh, and a goodie, jack serenading sam outside her window
    Sounds like a normal Jack thing to me. Do you have a link??

(Moderator)

friad not. it was something i read years ago

wait that was actually a real fic

I thought you were joking about it, cause honestly that is really OOC!

Major
    In an Universe where Stargate ended in season 8

Wow, and you remembered? Then it was definitely memorable

Lieutenant Colonel SamJackShipLover's Avatar

you mean you actually read that?? I was only kidding.

Speaking of Bad fics a while ago a bunch of us got together on The Blue Jello Corner thread and made a list of what made a bad fic....

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=141

Originally Posted by minigeek
    This is fun

Non-Canon (some might even call it "Bad") Characterization in Fanfiction Occurs when...

[mandysg-1] 1. Sam starts off sounding like a weakling
    [mandysg-1] 2. Dialogue has Jack calling Sam "baby"
    [mandysg-1] 3. Sam crying too much and over things we wouldn't normally see her cry over
    [minigeek] 4. Sam gives birth to twins, triplettes, quadruplettes or any other variation that'll have you screaming: "Holy Frickin' Fertility Batman!"
    [minigeek] 5. Jack tells Sam he wants LOTS of children with her (see above) and he's serious (see above) and she's OK with that (see above).
    [minigeek] 6. Teal'c has a rousing sense of humor.
    [minigeek] 7. Daniel and Teal'c conspire to create romance for their friends.
    [minigeek] 8. Jack and Sam conspire to create romance for their friends.
    [minigeek] 9. General (Landry, Hammond, The President) join in to help (see above 7 and 8).
    [minigeek] 10. Sam is attacked by a single (often male) assailant while off base and does not know how to defend herself. Ends up traumatized.
    [mandysg-1] 11. The president allows special dispensation of the Frat Regs for only Sam and Jack
    [sg1poz] 12. Jack crying ! I can see a bit of watery eyes but not bawling his eyes out.
    [sg1poz] 13. Jack and Sam having sex when one has a cast on his leg and she has staff blast wound a day old! You NC-17 readers know what I'm talking about
    [minigeek] 14. Any dialogue contains the phrase: "I want to raise babies with you." (Any team member, any time).
    [minigeek] 15. Jack writes love poetry (whether it be for Sam, Daniel or Teal'c)
    [minigeek] 16. A Celine Dion song is playing on the radio and (any character) starts thinking/daydreaming to the words of the song.
    Quote Originally Posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
    The love triangle between Sam/Daniel/Jack.

Jack dominates Sam (shudder - that one's for you, AD)

Jack and Sam have kids and name them things like Jack Daniel, Georgia, Danielle or Teal'cetta (though I'm fond of the "Uncle Daniel/Uncle Teal'c" bits, I admit ).

Or, at the opposite end of the spectrum, stories where Teal'c and Daniel are non-existent and play next to zilch in Jack or Sam's lives. Grrr...

Sam whines, moans, complains about Cameron to Jack, secretly hoping that he says something to Landry.

Cheesy weddings with cheesier proposals.

The funny thing about fics is, there are some people who've totally incorporated one or two of these aspects into their fics, and they make it work. I'm actually impressed when I'm not cringing over the occasional "Baby," "Honey," or "Snookums." Then again, it's possible that my senses have been dulled out of necessity.
    This list culminated in us writing a truly bad fic...on purpose

We had to incorporate things from the list into the fic, it was so much fun we even did a second one

Deejay posted it on FF.net, but didn't tell people it was done that way on purpose.

So if you want a good laugh at a really bad fic

As the Stargate Turnz was the first one written

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1025866/Samanda

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
    you mean you actually read that?? I was only kidding.
    yeah, it was a real fic.

I'm trying to remember if there was a slash one with jack singing to daniel too, but i might have imagined that

here. I think. *pause* Yeah, we'll go with that!

I remember reading one where Sam, Jack and Daniel (can't remember if Teal'c was with them or not) are at a kareoke bar, and there ends up being mooning eyes over romantic ballads ... leading to realisations that the feelings were always there ... very much escapes me who sang to whom, but I know at least two of the team were participating on stage (separate songs).
    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
    ames on facebook
    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by ames View Post
    I remember reading one where Sam, Jack and Daniel (can't remember if Teal'c was with them or not) are at a kareoke bar, and there ends up being mooning eyes over romantic ballads ... leading to realisations that the feelings were always there ... very much escapes me who sang to whom, but I know at least two of the team were participating on stage (separate songs).
    shudder