This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why turn jupiter into a star?

in the episode 2010 in n alternate future, sam and some aschen dude were discussing turning jupiter into a star, what would be the point in doing that?! and wouldn't doing that seriously mess up earth's climate? i may be missing something, but why woul we want to turn a planet into a star?
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
    in the episode 2010 in n alternate future, sam and some aschen dude were discussing turning jupiter into a star, what would be the point in doing that?! and wouldn't doing that seriously mess up earth's climate? i may be missing something, but why woul we want to turn a planet into a star?
    So that it's moons could be populated.

Comment

Just because they have the power
      The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
      Spoiler:
      Originally posted by Karhedron
      I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

Why not turn Jupiter into a star?

Comment

Originally posted by LostCityGuardian View Post
          Because realistically it would probably end all life on Earth.

Comment

I agree. The question isn't why, it's why not.

Comment

As I recall, the idea was to create a warmer climate on Earth in order to double the crop yield.
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferret View Post
                I agree. The question isn't why, it's why not.
                because it could bring about the destruction of man kind
                Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                sigpic

Comment

With Earth near the end of it's useful like, in terms of supporting the current population growth, it would give us places in which to migrate.

~Dave

Comment

I could be remembering this wrong, but in the movie 2010 (the "sequel" of sorts to 2001 starring the late Roy Scheider), didn't Jupiter get turned into a star at the end by the entites in the monolith?

Knowing how the writers of Stargate like to make subtle (and some not so subtle) references to other sci-fi movies/shows, my guess is that this is the reason for the reference to turning Jupiter into a star (from the movie 2010) in the episode 2010.

Comment

Well, Jupiter is just a "star" that failed. A little more mass, and we'd always have been living in a binary star system.

~Dave

Comment

Let's not get carried away here. Jupiter's big, but it's not a failed star. Planets many times the size of jupiter have been discovered that are still just planets.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          Let's not get carried away here. Jupiter's big, but it's not a failed star. Planets many times the size of jupiter have been discovered that are still just planets.
                          Well, we don't really know if those planets are gas giants or not.

~Dave

Comment

i think we should turn pluto into a star.

just because we can!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Most scientist agree that, with a little more mass, Jupiter would have become a star.
                              Spoiler:
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X