This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
    i'm not equating them, i'm saying using your principles as an excuse to rewrite history when you went against them for a paycheck on the very same episode is hypocritical(given that destitution wasn't his only option as you said!), his 'principle' in this case is worthless for that reason. so why should i be happy for him to go ahead using such an excuse. i shouldn't, and i'm going to be damn vocal about it. and only because i don't want the 'holier than thou's' to get their own way again just because of the general apathy of everyone else including me............ again!
    He doesn't want to re-write history, though, he wants to re-edit the scene so that it would look the way the vast majority of us saw it originally anyway - here Stargate was daytime television and I never knew it had full frnotal nudity til I got the DVDs, years later.

And Starfox's point stands, working in television migth not be as important as brain surgery or being a judge, but this is the job the man has chosen, the im[portance to humanity can hardly be used to tell him to quit his job.
    At the end of it the day, there are very, very few jobs that are importnt to everyone equally. re-prioritising people's lives based on some imaginary scale of importance is going to lead to the death of human society. IMO of course.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by SG-ME View Post
      Just my point and i think brad wright had every right to object to the scene as it gave that episode an 18 rating in the UK and there is nothing other than the nakedness that would put this up beyond a PG, (you pick up an 18 or R-rated sci-fi film/TV show and you expect violence, swearing and explicit alien sex )
      Thats different in Australia as season 1 has the exact same rating as seasons 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and as we all know those seasons dont have nudity.

I think its a problem if nudity without sexual connotations raises a rating of a show which has regular violence. Why is violence in in countries such as the USA and England considered safer for children's eyes than nudity?

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
        You still haven't addressed the point of why the hell you're giving all principles equal weight in the first place by saying that one should be willing to lose one's job over a relatively minor point. It wasn't a crusade, it was an annoyance. It's like the fly buzzing around at a garden party. If the polite thing to do is ignore it and/or delicately swat it away, then you ignore it. Doesn't keep you from killing the darned thing once no one's looking.
        for me it does, i go out of my way to avoid killing any animal. unless its gonna die horribly in pain etc. then again i wasn't allowed to watch doc savage when i was 6 (despite it being camper than a row of pink tents with gay men in them). so i probably wasn't affected by violence at an age i couldn't really understand it

and if its a minor point why change it now?

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
        He doesn't want to re-write history, though, he wants to re-edit the scene so that it would look the way the vast majority of us saw it originally anyway - here Stargate was daytime television and I never knew it had full frnotal nudity til I got the DVDs, years later.
        your using your ignorance as a reason to change it?!?!?!?

And Starfox's point stands, working in television migth not be as important as brain surgery or being a judge, but this is the job the man has chosen, the im[portance to humanity can hardly be used to tell him to quit his job.
        At the end of it the day, there are very, very few jobs that are importnt to everyone equally. re-prioritising people's lives based on some imaginary scale of importance is going to lead to the death of human society. IMO of course.
        will edit this later gotta go work
        sigpic
        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
        -Liberty Prime

Comment

your using your ignorance as a reason to change it?!?!?!?
          Nope, I'm using the fact that no one said a word even though the change took place ni effect over 11 years ago, and it wasn't until BW came out with his statement of wanting to remove it that people took notice

will edit this later gotta go work
          *pats* my sympathies! g'luck
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Coming from a European culture I see nothing wrong with Nudity in the slightest.

Seeing a naked person never bothered me, and still does not, afterall we all come into the world naked, so why are people so bothered. I can not understand TV in the US being so upset when a nipple escapes, after, a nipple is part of a breast of all mature women and are all design as a feeding device, it does not have to have a sexual overtone.

Out ward sex on TV should be allowed, but passed water shed times, like mid night, but again it is a natural thing.

However, sex or overt nudity in a family progam should not be allow, it is nothing to beening a prud, and goodness know every ten year old knows about is, as they have health education, but is it really needed.

Aside from that a few imagines of a shirtless man or a low cut back on a top of a women or a flash of leg, on harm in that.

It is just a matter of pospective.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
              I think its a problem if nudity without sexual connotations raises a rating of a show which has regular violence. Why is violence in in countries such as the USA and England considered safer for children's eyes than nudity?
              In this culture, American, Violence and Nudity are apples and oranges. they have nothing to do with each other thus can't be governed by the same rules. You will see violence with out looking for it, but nudity around here you have to look for it to see it.

I think that its a problem that outsiders can just come in a high horse judging an other culture's morals like this.

Why can't the world just let us make up our own minds on the issue? Culturally there is nothing wrong with Stargate as is for a family to watch it. Not in the USA And some nearby countries anyway. Have any of you seen the Spanish channel? Hispanic mainstream TV blocks more curse words than US TV, and it does so in a manner that makes it extremely hard for native speakers to know what curse was used with out knowing what is going on in the scene. Why is a Culture that has no problem at all with little children wrestling have such a problem with cursing on screen? I don't truly understand it but no American or European has the right to say that it is a problem.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

But people are funny about nuidity..

Just look at the furore that happened when the world got to see one little nipple, when Janet Jackson had that infamous "wardrobe malfunction" at the Superbowl......

I honestly think they had planned that to happen just to generate controversy but saw it more as funny then bad. But how many minds were scarred for life for seeing that.

Such a tragedy.
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

this thread is harder to kill than daniel jackson

sigpic
                  -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic Wizard View Post
                    Coming from a European culture I see nothing wrong with Nudity in the slightest.
                    i'm french and is true, we havent not problems with the nudity, even in the science fiction, watch torchwood for example.

stargate is a chaste show, the only actor naked was Shanks if i dont make a mistake and a little DH. it's not necessary for this sort of serie but it will be pretty cool, sexy and funny.

my delicious http://delicious.com/marlislash

Comment

Even this very website shows America's attitudes towards nudity. On the screen capture images section it has a image every few seconds for every single Stagate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis except for 1 episode.

Children of the Gods when it reaches that scene it covers up the nudity. It wouldnt be bad if they had a warning before viewing but the fact that it is the only scene in 300 episodes of stargate that has been censored.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/thu...bum=12&page=14

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/thu...bum=12&page=15

Comment

It should also be noted, and i don't know if this is the fact for this site or not, but the TOS of some site hosts specifically say you cannot have certain content. So before you start tearing into Darren for masking nudity, it may have been something he was required to do to honor the TOS with our hosts

on a similar if slightly different note, a few years ago in the STargate Fanfic awards, a fic was nominated that had Jack and Skaara in a relationship. The award runner had to disallow the fic and could not put a link up to it...why? she had no issue with the slash, she read and wrote slash fic, but Jack/Skaara is kiddie pr0n (i won't use the term because i don't want to trigger the google ads) and her TOS specifically said she couldn't have it.

the morale of the story is, sometimes site owners have rules they have to follow.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

this thread is harder to kill than daniel jackson
                          You think it's hard to kill now. Wait till the DVD is actually released.
                          My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                            You think it's hard to kill now. Wait till the DVD is actually released.
                            and that's another thing, i haven't got a DVD 'special edition' of anything where the running time is less than the original release!! the only thing that comes close is 'evil dead 3'....... but that has 2 versions of the film on 2 separate discs so still pretty 'special'.
                            i hope the removal of 7 minutes of footage is reflected in the price(not that i'll buy it, unless its not possible to get the original when whatever format after blu ray comes out) and consider if you have the dvd of cotg already, you've already paid for the 'right' to watch it, you're gonna get shafted for another 'rights' payment on the same programme!! having said all that, i may* get it from p2p on general principle now. thanks for paying for my copy people

*not a guarantee
                            sigpic
                            -Liberty Prime

Comment

my understanding was, in taking out the full monty scene, brad was putting other stuff back in, stuff that he had to cut to make time constraints. they were also re-doing some of the effects
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i hope the removal of 7 minutes of footage is reflected in the price(not that i'll buy it, unless its not possible to get the original when whatever format after blu ray comes out) and consider if you have the dvd of cotg already, you've already paid for the 'right' to watch it, you're gonna get shafted for another 'rights' payment on the same programme!! having said all that, i may* get it from p2p on general principle now. thanks for paying for my copy people
                                It's never been clarified whether the special edition will replace the original in the S.1 boxed set or whether it will be a standalone edition. But if the original is replaced completely, just think, a few years from now you might be able to auction it off on ebay for a small fortune.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                my understanding was, in taking out the full monty scene, brad was putting other stuff back in, stuff that he had to cut to make time constraints. they were also re-doing some of the effects
                                Regardless of what may be added or subtracted, I believe BW did say in the article that the end product would be 7 minutes shorter. Which means something other than just the nudity will be going as well.
                                My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Working...
                                X